1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tundra recommendations and feedback.

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by abodyjoe, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Jun 2, 2021 at 12:40 PM
    abodyjoe

abodyjoe [OP] New Member

Member:
    new guy here. thinking of picking up a tundra. had a 2017 tacoma but it was just too small for the family of three and three dogs and just not enough truck to tow my camper so we picked up a 2019 GMC slt with the 6.2, 10 speed , 3.42 gears and max tow package. great truck, awesome power and tows our trailer easily. truck is very comfortable on long trips too. problem is the dealerships.. just not happy with the ones in my area. i've had a few toyota cars and the tacoma in the past and am happy with the dealers in the area.

i think i'll be looking at say a 2018-up tundra in the near future. there isn't many differences in the years is there?

so i guess my question is. what quirks does the tundra have? i know the tacoma had a ton of them that were quite annoying the most being the shifting and lack of power. from what i've read the tundra's 5.7 and 4.30 gears really motivate it well and it sounds like it tows well. anything i need to look out for when buying one? the trailer i tow is just under 6000 pounds. whats the payload like in a tundra? i've read that its on the low side. is this true? the tacoma was only 900 pounds. i think our gmc is 1700-1800 pounds if i remember correctly. how about the factory trailer brake controller? is that still an issue or has that been fixed?

are there any critical TSB's or recalls on the tundra?

how is the 5.7, trans and rear diff? they reliable? any unwanted noises or problems that these trucks have?

can you get the big cab (crewmax is it?) with anything other then a short bed? how would you recommend equipping one for towing 6000 pounds?

few things i'd like to have are android auto, 38 gallon tank and adaptive cruise control.. don't need a ton of bells and whistles but some comforts are nice.

not too worried about towing MPG as thats the same for almost all trucks it seems.. 9-11MPG but what kind of real world mileage is everyone getting unloaded in your tundra?

thank you for any help/links you can provide me with..

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  2. Jun 2, 2021 at 9:25 PM
    cain0725

cain0725 New Member

Member:
    2021 tundra limited is what i have, loving it, Toyota reliably speaks for itself, no issues, recalls or problems. You will need to upgrade suspension probably. Pick what fits your needs and this forum is full of info and knowledge.

3. Jun 2, 2021 at 9:39 PM
    Pmac

Pmac New Member

Member:
    South of Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax TRD Off-road
    I’d look for a 16-18 SR5 or above to get the 38 gallon tank and dedicated tranny cooler on the towing package. I may be off on some details, but the larger tank and cooler for towing would be my huckleberrys.

FlightMedicRN and abodyjoe[OP] like this.
  4. Jun 2, 2021 at 9:43 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    If you love the truck, why not keep it? Just get it serviced somewhere else. I’m convinced that all dealers suck to some extent. The three Toyota dealers in my area are very shady.

I love my Tundra and do not regret buying it, but it doesn’t quite have the pep of a 6.2L GMC. I spent a week with a 6.2L truck, and it was my second choice. All the issues around the 2019+ platform and the 6.2L in particular kept me away.

My Crewmax payload is 1270lbs, and I average 14mpg unloaded. I bought the truck because of reliability and hassle-free ownership. I want to get back home from remote places with my family every time, and I have the best chance of never having to visit my dealer again.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  5. Jun 3, 2021 at 3:25 AM
    abodyjoe

abodyjoe [OP] New Member

Member:
    thats my one concern with a tundra. wonder why the build trucks with so little payload. so wish they would build a 3/4 ton tundra..

panicman likes this.
  6. Jun 3, 2021 at 4:25 AM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 New Member

Member:
    5.7 and transmission are fine

Transmission cooler dropped in 2018 I believe - large thread on it here.

Adaptive cruise came standard in what - 2020?

No a CM only is available in 5’5 bed - Need to go to a DC to get 6’5 or 8

TBC issues I’m not aware of - sharper minds will chime in.

Towing 6k - depending on truck - you will likely want to do some sort of upgrade to the rear to avoid a permanent squat look I would think - there are different options at different price points. I’d suggest some type of airbag - but others might disagree on what’s best.

I kind of echo the thoughts on “why change trucks - change shops” - Guess I have just never been so unhappy with a dealer AFTER purchase to want to change brands. Before - sure, but after I have something - it’s not like I see the dealer more than once a year (if that) and most things a good independent can do for me if I couldn’t. Only thing I need a dealer for are recalls.

A GM is not in general that specialized that ONLY a dealer can fix anything on it. Not trying to talk you out of a Tundra - but expecting a major difference in the 2 isn’t gonna happen likely. Now I’m a former GM owner and found them to be overall reliable - but will acknowledge as you get newer - they are more hit and miss. If you got a bad one - it’s time to move on. Moving from GM to Toyota the “creature comfort” difference isn’t as big as Ram and Ford respectively in new higher trim levels - but again it’s all subject to trim level (I mean I could fo from a Tradesman Ram to a 1794 Tundra and find the Tundra nicer - even though all the “experts” say a Ram is more tech/flashy than a Toyota half ton).

Good luck with the process.

Edut to add: No there are not significant differences in the years 2018-2021, but there are some key changes. I might be wrong - if so please correct:

- 2018 last year for trans cooler
    - 2019 android audio/last year all models have physical keys
    - 2020 TSS added to all models, push button start added to higher trim levels and option on SR5 in certain packages (not 100% on this - off memory)
    - 2021 comes with Apple Car Play and Android audio. (Might have been 2020 and I just don’t remember it having both)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    Sundog likes this.
  7. Jun 3, 2021 at 4:36 AM
    eagleguy

eagleguy New Member

Member:
    Had a 17 Tacoma as well. Nice truck but too small in the end. Have a 2021 Crew Cab SR5 which I bought in March. Love it and average about 14 mpg around town. No issues other than some weird looseness in the power driver seat when I first get in and a banging noise sometimes when first kicking up the AC on start up. Once driving all is good and I will have the issues mentioned addressed on her first check up.

8. Jun 3, 2021 at 4:46 AM
    toyofan87

toyofan87 Beer thirty

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Gettysburg, Penna
    Vehicle:
    80- Longbed/87-4Runner/08-Sr5 Tundra
    Toytec 2.0 Aluma 3/1.5 lift with JBA's UCA Falkens AT3 295/70/18
    Welcome Joe.

abodyjoe[OP] likes this.
  9. Jun 3, 2021 at 4:50 AM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    I love my Tundra, but I don’t tow much. If I had any regular towing needs I’d get a 3/4-1 ton. Tundra payload is low, so your trailer tongue weight will eat up most of your payload. Plus 2019+ they removed the dedicated tranny cooler.

If your current rig meets your towing needs and you like the truck, I’d keep it. Don’t change just for the sake of change.

Shamrock92 likes this.
  10. Jun 3, 2021 at 9:01 AM
    panicman

panicman Everyone remain calm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM TRDoffroad MGM
    Welcome, and I echo the sentiments here. If you have a good rig, stick with it.

IF you’re hellbent on moving to a Tundra, as stated, you can pull your 6k no problem, but you’ll need to watch your payload/GVW.

Sounds like: You do plan to tow, and you want some of the later features. I say your Goldilocks year would be a 2018 with the SR5 upgrade package.
    I say this because 2018 was the last year of a dedicated transmission cooler. It was the first year of adaptive cruise/collision prevention. The SR5 package adds the 38 gal tank, LED headlights and better wheels and shocks.

I get feeling burned by a dealership... been there. If you like your current truck, I’d find a certified independent shop. Heck, support a local business!

937footer likes this.
  11. Jun 3, 2021 at 11:36 AM
    fireman02

fireman02 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    20 SR5
    None yet
    So I just came back to a 2021 Tundra from a 2020 RST Silverado. I had a 18 Platinum Tundra that I shouldn’t have gotten rid of. For starters there was nothing wrong with the RST. It was similar to what you’ve got, but 5.3 w/3.42 max tow package & standard 6.6 bed. Tundras have good power, but it’s going to be considerably slower than the 6.2 you’ve got. My 5.3 with the 8spd & 3.42 gear was a little quicker than my Tundra. That being said the only things I miss from the Chevy are the fuel economy (19.5 mixed driving vs current 15-16mpg’s), radio was better (louder), and the bigger bed. The decision to jump back in a Tundra was made easier with the ridiculous trade in values right now (made 5k on trade) & this most likely being the last year of a V8 in the Tundra. For you, the things that will be a benefit going to a Tundra are 24 vs 38 gallon tanks, 87oct vs 93oct you have to run w/ 6.2. FYI adding the trans cooler to 19’s & up isn’t that bad. Added one to mine at 400 miles for piece of mind, it took about 4-5 hrs. Just my .02

rebmo and abodyjoe[OP] like this.
  12. Jun 3, 2021 at 3:26 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Add a trans cooler, and Roadmaster active suspension kit to any Tundra without either. Both are a good investment. Did a whole bunch of stuff to mine, but those two are what matters for your trailer towing tendencies.

13. Jun 3, 2021 at 3:28 PM
    eagleguy

eagleguy New Member

Member:
    I have been towing things of various weight with my 2021 Tundra Crewmax. Have yet to see trans temps get to any point of concern. Yes I would have been happy if the cooler was still available but for me it has not been an issue. After the warranty is up I may lift the front but at the moment all is good.

14. Jun 3, 2021 at 3:33 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    TSS was added to all Tundras in 2018.
    Android Auto is NOT available on any 2019 or older. Wasn't introduced until 2020 model year.

15. Jun 3, 2021 at 3:55 PM
    MrJonnb

MrJonnb New Member

Member:
    Northeastern ALberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro-Lunar Rock
    Same boat-ish. Had 2 lemons in a row, 2015 GMC SLE, 2019 Chev trail boss. 1st had electrical and tranny issues that 3 dealerships couldn't fix.(GM bought it back). TB had tranny and front end issues that 2 of the same and 2 different dealerships would either not acknolwdge or say nothing was wrong. Became very prevalent after 80000kms. GM wouldnt help this time. Picked up a Tundra TRD pro last week.
    - No 110 volt outlet, anywhere. TB had one in cab one in the box. Only a cigarette lighter outlet in backseat
    - Box is smaller. Bushwack a lot, sometimes slept in there using the tonneau as a roof haha
    - dash and radio controls have a couple that are at awkward spots or just out of reach.
    - couple inches less-head room, steering column doesnt move much for adjustability
    - Stereo system sucks, but all stock usually do
    -Little to no storage in the cab. There is no under seat at all, raised floor. only 1 seat had a rear pocket
    -Cannot see the front corners or comprehend them.
    - Remote start shuts off if you look at it funny, or open a door
    BUT.....
    - The Tundra rides better. Smoother and a liitle more agile
    - Mileage is decent
    - Sitting in the cab is way more comfy, rear seat is roomier as well
    - More options for aftermarket mods/Upgrades.
    - Drivetrain is more solid. Dont have the skip/grinding/slipping in deep mud or clay
    - It looks Cool
    - Has android auto and other conveniences, ACC, park sensors, rear camera, rear view mirror is less in the way
    - The whole rear window rolls down
    - The helicopter taking off in the backseat is non existent from rolling down any window

16. Jun 3, 2021 at 4:14 PM
    abodyjoe

abodyjoe [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks guys. Looks like I have some things to think about. My GMC has the std bed and going down to a short bed will hurt but should be doable.

2mchfun likes this.
  17. Jun 3, 2021 at 4:59 PM
    Gene5253

Gene5253 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Limited

According to 0-60 times the Tundra is a little quicker than the Chev RST. 6.7 vs 7.0

18. Jun 3, 2021 at 5:14 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    The 5.3 is quite torque-y. Gets you off 0 pretty good but lags up in the higher RPM. The Tundra with all the nannies feels kinda sluggish, but turn the TC off and put it into tow/haul and it snaps pretty good. Did that last week after a while of not doing it and I surprised myself, I forgot how much the computer deadens the throttle normally.

But if you're not having any issues with the GM I'd stick with it, just find a new shop. They're awesome trucks, only reason I didn't buy one was because you can't trust them as much as a Tundra. But if you've got a good one then it's best to keep it.

19. Jun 3, 2021 at 5:19 PM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    Welcome from LA (Lower Alabama)! Looks to me like all your questions have been addressed!

20. Jun 3, 2021 at 8:13 PM
    fireman02

fireman02 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    20 SR5
    None yet
    The RST I had having the tow gear 3.42 vs the stock 3.23 may have helped. When I went to the Chevy it felt quicker than my previous Tundra, and was confirmed when guy at work (17 Sr5 TRD off-road)& myself caught a stop light. At 85mph I had 1-1.5 truck lengths on him. Also TFL truck did a trail boss vs TRD pro and the Trail boss barely won each time. They raced same trail boss (5.3 10spd) vs a LTZ Silverado with the 5.3 8spd and the LTZ beat the trail boss each race.

21. Jun 3, 2021 at 9:02 PM
    cain0725

cain0725 New Member

Member:
    but will be in shop more over time, everyone has to decide what is important to them. I had a raptor, hated the V-6 no matter how much i tried. Then a recall each month. Tundra for me

22. Jun 3, 2021 at 9:10 PM
    AverageJoe

AverageJoe New Member

Member:
    DFW TX
    Vehicle:
    21 DC SR 4WD
    2021 SR (aka Work Truck) 4WD and it came with Adaptive Cruise Control but does not have the bigger tank. My MPG is lower on the scale of what I've seen but my truck did come with the 4.30 rear gears and just passed 1K miles on it so I was expecting the MPG to suffer. Will be curious to see if it improves slightly once it is broken in more. Have done about 50 hwy/50 city for the first 1K of the truck's life.

abodyjoe[OP] likes this.
  23. Jun 4, 2021 at 6:59 AM
    Downytide

Downytide New Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock with trail boxes
    Ah, the current big 3 dilemma, selling $100k trucks/cars but their service department still think they work on $15k cars.

I drive lots of various cars/trucks at work, and owned a 2019 5th gen Ram 1500 Rebel for 14 months, these are my opinions:

Pro:
    - My dealership treats me like a normal person, I don't need red carpet roll out, just take me seriously when I brought up an issue, they've also installed aftermarket/performance parts without giving me a hard time, unlike FCA.
    - It's slightly smaller than most 1500 now, so like few said, it's more nimble
    - I don't need to go through 12 pages on the headunit to get it do what I want.
    - the aftermarket is huge.
    - It drives well in snow, I had exact same tires on my Rebel and at times it's very laborsome, also we can fully disable stability control in Tundra, unlike others where you cannot fully disable.
    - Simplicity.
    - it keeps its value

Cons:
    - the aftermarket is huge
    - I can't stop modifying this thing
    - For the costs, it's missing out a lot compare to the big 3's, lack of good stereo, vented seats, rear storage etc, but not a deal breaker.
    - The seats are not as nice as the big 3's, somehow the big 3's seats are just better, this back to previous point, I want to re-upholster the seats now.
    - no rear locker, auto-lsd has its limit and it can be annoying if you are on non-paved roads a lot.
    - no ecu tuning on 2020+ yet.

I love this thing, and have no regret giving up some creature comfort in the Ram for it, in the ideal world, the truck would be a crewmax Tundra TRD Pro with 6.5ft bed, 6.2L engine, 8spd ZF transmission, Tundra axles and suspension but boxed frame in the back, but I'd say my truck is pretty close to that right now, so I'm happy.

24. Jun 4, 2021 at 8:06 AM
    abodyjoe

abodyjoe [OP] New Member

Member:
    and there's the problem. total culture issue. they have the same piss poor attitude they had in the 70's for god sakes.. i just don't get it and how its allowed to continue.

thats all i want.. i'm not an ase mechanic but i'm no idiot or constant complainer but damn man, if i say something is wrong then something is wrong.. don't throw excuses out there and expect me to believe the bullshit..lol.. i've have toyota's, honda's and subaru's over the years and they all (in my experience anyway) have treated me very well. never talked to me like they are superior or anything now dodge in 92 and 93 when i bought new cars from them and again in 07 (figuring maybe thing have improves in 20 years) treated me and the wife like assholes and idiots. now fast forward to this GMC. it really is a nice truck and we haven't really had mechanical issues with it but damn man the dealership experience is horrible. they come up with bullshit excuses and expect you to believe the bullshit and they just plain treat you like idiots, just makes me want out of the truck and not have to deal with any of it... very frustrating.. like i said its just poor culture at these big three dealerships that i have experienced over the years.. the only reason i didn't get the tundra was the payload.. i wanted more.. i may be able to get away with less which is why i posed here. i really appreciate everyones feedbacl

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    MrJonnb and AverageJoe like this.
  25. Jun 5, 2021 at 12:17 PM
    Polished Rock

Polished Rock New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5/TSS Off Road, 285/55/20" KO2s, +Roadmaster AS
    none yet

abodyjoe[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  26. Jun 5, 2021 at 12:25 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    299.9k Supercharged 2008
    Biggest issue with the Tundra is the payload, four thick dudes and the truck is (on paper) maxed out. Lots of people come through here getting a Tundra for one reason or another, and find out after the fact it has less payload than a minivan, especially if you get a crewcab. Mechanically there's nothing I'd worry about, if it suits your creature comforts and you don't mind getting the same mpg as a school bus (before towing) then it's a great truck.

abodyjoe[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top