1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra overland build

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by Tundra18overland, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Feb 24, 2021 at 4:59 PM
    Tundra18overland

Tundra18overland [OP] Traversing the million mile road

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM Expedition Build
    Hello everyone,

I own a 2018 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 with 27,000 miles. Currently the only upgrade I have are 4x Bilstein 5100s on high setting with a diff drop. I am looking to get into overlanding/off road wheeling/camping. I want to harness the full potential of my truck and push it’s limits, but not break stuff at the same time. I have come up with a list of mods that i was hoping to get some input on from all my fellow Tundra owners. If I’m missing any critical/important mods for off road performance please chime in! I do a lot of pavement driving so i want the truck to ride comfortably both on and off road. I live in GA if that helps depict the terrain better but would love to do some more mountainess and desert stuff out west. I also like the idea of re buildable and adjustable shocks/coils.

Here is the list of mods:

- ICON Stage 5 suspension OR Old man emu BP51 (still undecided and open to other suggestions!)
    Longevity, reliability and performance are my highest concerns for all the modifications I do.
    - Deaver 2” rear leaf springs
    - Full RCI skids and rock sliders
    - ARB Summit front bumper with warn winch
    - Addictive desert designs rear bumper
    Bump stops
    - Extended breather tubes for rear differential
    - ARB rear lockers
    - ARB on board compressor
    - ARB Safari Snorkel
    - Adjustable rear air bag system
    - Leitner Forged ACS System
    - 23Zero walkabout 72 tent

My questions are...

I don’t tow heavy loads currently, but I want the ability to if needed.
    Are the air bags and upgraded leafs overkill? I plan on adding close to 1,000 lbs or more to my truck including passengers.

Whole new leaf package vs add-a-leaf..what’s better for durability and maximum weight capacity?

I was told bump stops can limit wheel travel and or articulation? Is that true? If so should I avoid them?

I’m currently running 33s but I want to ultimately upgrade to 35s..if I upgrade to 35s should i have my truck Re-Geared?

Finally..how much maintenance is a system like the ICON Stage 5? Should I expect to spend a lot of $$$ on replacing parts, greasing bearings etc?

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Wallygator and Raider0311 like this.
  2. Mar 3, 2021 at 12:04 PM
    Raider0311

Raider0311 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794
    Roll n Lock bed cover, Icon Stage 8, RXT leaf pk, 18" XD Bully's, Nitto 35's, Billet UCA's
    I've had the Icon Stage 8 for a couple years now and haven't done anything to it except alignments. Best thing I ever did. I left one leaf out of the whole package to get a better ride but wish I hadn't. I'll probably throw it in when I upgrade to the 46 gallon tank. Can't go wrong with Icon. Rides like a dream and I've pushed the limits. I run 35's and haven't done gears. Would love to get rear locker but honestly survived without it so far.

3. Mar 3, 2021 at 12:48 PM
    blackoutt

blackoutt YEAH BUDDY!

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Long Bed - Old Man Tan
    OEM+
    Slow down! Throw some sliders and the rear diff breather on it, get a good ground tent like a gazelle T3/T4, throw your camping gear and some self recovery gear into totes, grab a buddy and go! Spend more time learning GPS skills and driving skills, run with the current 5100's and 33s. Then build it up slowly as you find the need for more clearance, more aggressive tread, more storage, more mobility, faster setup/teardown times, faster speeds, larger obstacles, longer trips.

Full leaf packs will always perform better than add a leafs.
    Regear isn't "required" for any tire size. Try it with 35's and see if you mind.
    Bump stops and air bags are part of tuning the suspension later on for your weight, tire size, and shock travel.
    There's not much to do on an Icon that wouldn't need done on a 5100, difference being you just replace the 5100 or rebuild/repair the Icon.

There's not much you wouldn't be able to handle with 33" MTs around GA, KY, TN in terms of common "overlanding" tracks. But also learn your limits and when to turn around. Lots of local facebook groups to pal around with and learn areas and skills.

pvn.beluga and Wallygator like this.
  4. Mar 3, 2021 at 1:44 PM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    I’ve had icon 2.5” coil overs and tubular uca with dj for almost a year and really like it. They are digressive so it’ll be a little rougher on roads. Look at the dobinsons snorkel. I think it looks better than the arb and is about half the price.

https://exitoffroad.com/product/dobinsons-tundra-snorkel-kit

5. Mar 17, 2021 at 7:12 PM
    COTundra23

COTundra23 New Member

Member:
    since you have had the icons for a couple years now... have you rebuilt them yet?

Products Discussed in

To Top