1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra is eating the radiator return

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by mapes, May 28, 2020.

1. May 28, 2020 at 3:30 PM
    mapes

mapes [OP] New Member

Member:
    So I have a 4.7L double cab limited 2006. About two months ago I had work done on it by a local shop. Well three days ago it over heated. Looking at it I can see the large radiator return hose. The hose that goes from the top of the motor to the bottom of the radiator got chewed up by a pulley on the serpentine belt. So I bought another hose and fluid and swapped it in. I double checked and nothing was rubbing. Cue my disappointment when exiting the freeway it starts hissing and leaking from the same spot. So I buy another hose.. I check and mount it the other way. This gives much more clearance between the belt pully and the hose. I think that the shop I took it too had mistakenly mounted the hose backwards. No big D. I mount the new hose the "right way". This gives lots of clearance from the serpentine belt pulley's. I think life is grand. I take it for a spin and look no problems. Well I just got off the freeway and guess what? It ate the hose again. I can see no bracket to hold the hose or even a pulley cover for the belt FFS what am I missing....

2. May 28, 2020 at 4:09 PM
    EDDO

EDDO                         

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    19 OR MGM 5.7
    If I had to guess, your motor mounts are shot. I used to have a Blazer that ate its fan shroud for this reason.

YardBird likes this.
  3. May 28, 2020 at 4:18 PM
    mapes

mapes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Oh fun times indeed. Is there something easy to check/verify. I'm fairly hands on I'm just used to working on motorcycles. If thats the problem how hard is it to replace them? Also thanks for all the help

YardBird and EDDO like this.
  4. May 28, 2020 at 4:34 PM
    EDDO

EDDO                         

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    19 OR MGM 5.7
    Pretty simple to check. Open hood, have somebody put it in reverse with the ebrake on and rev the engine. See how high the motor jumps. As far as replacing, no idea but I'm sure you can find video on that.

YardBird likes this.
  5. May 28, 2020 at 4:55 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    Motor mounts are pretty easy to change, just some screwing and unscrewing. And a bit of jacking, to get it up. Yes, I’m talking about the engine, git yer mine outa the gutter!

gosolo and EDDO like this.
  6. May 28, 2020 at 5:03 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    If these problems just started happening after your Local Shop performed work, then I’d say the problem is the parts or the installation. Are these OEM parts? The accessory belt, is it stretching? Tensioner gone bad?

Our motor mounts are very sturdy, and can’t recall anyone having problems ever on this site with any of the long time experienced guys.

landphil likes this.
  7. May 28, 2020 at 5:27 PM
    mapes

mapes [OP] New Member

Member:
    To be fair to the shop it's been 5 or so months. My commuter is a different car... the tundra did get driven occasionally but since the covid stuff two months ago I've been using it to drive to a city park daily and escape my family... err get out for a bit more regularly. I'll look into getting my wife to to perform the test. Thank you kind people for any help

Products Discussed in

To Top