1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra integrated brake controller vs Tekonsha

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by BrakeDust, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Apr 17, 2021 at 4:35 AM
    BrakeDust

BrakeDust [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hill Country, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 CM SR5 4x4 Magnetic
    My 2021 Tundra has the IBC, not yet sure what to think about it.

Pros:
    - It's integrated

Cons:
    - I'm not a fan of the plug they supply, IMO it should be mounted with the retaining tab in a vertical position. The plug always seems loose
    - Once in a while I get "trailer disconnected" messages, fix by jiggling the plug, blowing into it (yeah... that's the ticket)
    - Controller not very "feature rich"

The real problem is that my trailer brakes shudder, mostly at low speed as when approaching a stop. Trailer = Airstream 28' dual axle with Dexter "Nev-R-Adjust" drum brakes (that means adjust and clean every year.) I just did such a cleaning and adjustment, everything seemed to be in order. Brakes were smoother for a short while but then resumed the shudder. They are not locking up, they just throb/pulse at lower speeds. At freeway speeds they seem smooth.

Not sure what to look at next. I've read/heard that the Tundra controller uses technology that isn't quite cutting edge but I don't know what that means. Anyone know what type of controller it is internally?

Would I benefit from a Tekonsha? This is what I had installed in my previous Tundra and I was happy with it.

2. Apr 20, 2021 at 8:19 AM
    BrakeDust

Member:
    Hill Country, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 CM SR5 4x4 Magnetic
    Everyone happy with their integrated brake controller? It's adequate, no need to upgrade?

3. Apr 20, 2021 at 8:26 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    So far my controller as been fine, works ok and no errors. It is not as good or powerful as the P3. I have used the P3 before and it is my favorite controller for the $. But I would not replace the factory unit unless it is not meeting your needs or is having the errors repeatedly.

As far as the issue with the trailer brakes, I do not think the controller is the issue. With shudder and pulse, that is usually uneven transfer of brake material on the rotors.

4. Apr 20, 2021 at 11:32 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Is your IBC not locking up the trailer brakes using manual over-ride at maximum gain? Lock-up is necessary to adjust the controller output to the trailer brakes. You turn up the gain until the manual over-ride locks the trailer brakes from about 25 mph, then back the gain off to just under lock-up for maximum effective output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wkBzz-Ga0A

Low braking output has been a common complaint with the IBC. Earlier year IBC was totally inadequate, and dealers could do an adjustment to increase the output. Fewer complaints on 2019+ models, but I'm not sure they have a fix if you're not happy. Do the search, it'll be an interesting read.

I think the technology is the same and pretty straight-forward: the controller senses a change in inertia from application of tow vehicle brakes, and generates a voltage output proportional to the inertia change. My opinion is that Toyota is new to the brake controller game, and is simply executing the technology poorly compared to those in the business awhile.

Low early response may simply mean those unhappy with the IBC have already changed over to the P3.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  5. Apr 20, 2021 at 11:44 AM
    sask3m

sask3m New Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Black 2019 SR5
    So is it possible to change out the integrated for a P3? I have a 19 and so far seems to be working ok with no errors but am curious if a harness has now been designed for a changeover.

6. Apr 20, 2021 at 5:12 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Not to my knowledge, but then a 2018+ plug-n-play harness is not essential to replacing the IBC with a P3.

If your IBC is working for you, change is not necessary. Aftermarket controllers lack the integration of the IBC, so you won't be getting any messages that your trailer is not connected. Jury still out on if this is a good or bad thing, but I lean toward verifying the trailer connections myself, and limiting the controller to the job of braking.

The P3 comes with a universal harness with four wires. Solder and heat shrink extensions to the black and blue wires of the universal harness to connect to the appropriate wires in the 2018+ IBC connector on the passenger-side, make your ground (white) and brake sense wire (red) connections as described in threads here, and you're done.

sask3m[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Apr 20, 2021 at 10:48 PM
    TunBrun

TunBrun New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 5.7L Crewmax Blazing Blue
    I have been happy with the IBC so far. My TT is about 6,000 lb loaded and I have the gain set at 5.5.

I held onto my P3 and harness from my Tacoma but am not planning to install it at the moment.

8. Apr 21, 2021 at 4:35 AM
    Wallygator

Wallygator Well Zippedy Da Do!

Member:
    Mine as been fine but I don't tow anything near the size you are towing. I know the earlier Tundras had an issue with insufficient power from the IBC but Toyota must have fixed this with the 2019+ models. Your truck is still under warranty so if you are having issues it may be worth a trip to the dealer to make sure nothing is wrong with the system. Bring the whole rig in and show them what it's doing.

9. Apr 21, 2021 at 9:20 AM
    sask3m

sask3m New Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Black 2019 SR5
    Were you able to get the trailer brakes to lockup?

10. Apr 21, 2021 at 10:39 AM
    BrakeDust

Member:
    Hill Country, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 CM SR5 4x4 Magnetic
    Mine do not lock up at any setting. I posted on airforums and the consensus was that Dexter brakes are not supposed to lock up.

Now I just set a "good" gain, one that doesn't push or pull the truck. I also use 5.5 as a happy medium.

Just can't figure out the shudder at low speeds. Probably some imbalance between the 4 brakes on the trailer, not sure how to begin chasing that. I already cleaned and adjusted them, they're ostensibly the same.

11. Apr 22, 2021 at 7:57 AM
    sask3m

sask3m New Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Black 2019 SR5
    Sounds like mine, I'll quit trying now, lol. Thanks for the info.

As far as the shudder are your brakes the self adjusting ones? If so I wonder if it's possible the small spring inside (at the bottom) that helps the self adjusting could maybe be broken. I watched a vid quite a while ago where this had happened to someone and it was causing some issue with the braking. I forget just exactly what the issue was though.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  12. Apr 22, 2021 at 8:52 AM
    TunBrun

TunBrun New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 5.7L Crewmax Blazing Blue
    I haven't had time to dial it in on a closed road or parking by trying to lock it up.

I put in 5.5 gain and felt it was stopping safely. Maybe it feels good because I am comparing it to when I towed the trailer with my Tacoma! :rofl:

13. Apr 22, 2021 at 11:19 AM
    Wallygator

Wallygator Well Zippedy Da Do!

Member:
    Maybe it's shuddering because you are not giving it enough power. :notsure: I use 5.5 gain with a utility trailer and two motorcycles.

14. Apr 22, 2021 at 7:20 PM
    BrakeDust

Member:
    Hill Country, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 CM SR5 4x4 Magnetic
    Yes I checked that little spring. Three brakes were fine, one had not "auto adjusted" so I adjusted by hand. Now they should all be good.

Yeah I could try bump it up again I guess.

Products Discussed in

To Top