1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trying to find my tire

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Mainetundra, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Feb 22, 2017 at 5:27 PM
    Mainetundra

Mainetundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Tundra 5.7L SR5
    hello everyone , you guys where a great help to me on my last post so here I go again. I run a 2008 tundra sr5 currently have 275/70R18 toyo ms55 tires . I drive about 4 hours up to my cabin in Maine . Mostly highway but once in town it is all dirt roads, wash out , snow and mud covered roads .. Looking for the "best" tire for that job. I'm looking at Coopper stt pro, bfgoodfrich A/T KO2 and the Toyo mud terrain. If anyone can suggest something in that price point it would be great. I guess I just can't make up my mind. Thanks !

2. Feb 22, 2017 at 6:03 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    You will probably have the best luck with the BFG's, as much as it pains me to say that.

The only reason I recommend them vs mud terrains is the amount of pavement you drive on and an all terrain will probably do best in the road conditions you mention.

Have you ever heard of strap chains? These little gems keep me out of buying mud terrains every time. Quick install in a pinch and really is all you need unless you're snow bashing 32" of the white stuff.

http://www.tirechain.com/G-1201.htm...YNa6HnyNetSPEIq5HL5UqqC_mJHqvousUoBoCTgDw_wcB

3. Feb 22, 2017 at 6:08 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Delete all tires you mentioned except the Cooper STT Pro's. Believe me. I just made up your mind......:mudding:
    Here's my set.. 295/70R18. I've used them in all kinds of situations here in CO. Better than Nitto, Toyo, BFG, Good Year. IMHO. And price point is right. Go to Alaska...Cooper is #1 up there. For good reason......

cooper1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  4. Feb 22, 2017 at 6:12 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    I got BFGs and no issues on pavement and have great snow rating. Never had issues with them on my old taco and don't expect issues on the Tundra.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  5. Feb 22, 2017 at 6:16 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    I love me my KO2s. Relatively quiet on the road, and great in rain and snow.

NewImprovedRon and TXMiamiFan like this.
  6. Feb 22, 2017 at 6:37 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Love my STT Pros. Great on everything but ice. Looks damn good too.

7. Feb 23, 2017 at 3:16 AM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    Another vote for the KO2's here.
    We get hammered with lake effect snow here and you're sometimes caught driving in conditions where it's coming down at 3-4" per hour. And you can't see past the hood of your truck. Tires will keep you on the road if you know how to drive in the stuff

I've also hit a few patches of 3-5" of blow-over snow/slush on supposedly plowed roads in 2wd at 45-50 with no issue. Seem to be fine in rain and dry pavement too. I've got 3-4000 miles on mine.

TXMiamiFan likes this.
  8. Feb 23, 2017 at 3:20 AM
    joem1cha3l

joem1cha3l New Member

Member:
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 Double Cab SR5 Blazing Blue Pearl
    BOSS Suspension, DB Customz Grill, 35's, Spyder, Tint, Color matched corners
    Love my STT pros. Its a combination of function and aesthetics. On my second set

9. Feb 23, 2017 at 4:54 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Crewmax Chris Paper Airplane Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 DoubleCab
    I had Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on my last half ton to plow with. I will be putting them on this truck this fall. I think it works well for me in Maine.

10. Feb 23, 2017 at 5:35 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    I love Trail Grappler on my truck, but I have to admit that DuraTrac seems to perform better in winter. My wife's Nissan NVP (4x2) was sliding all over the place with stock tires so we changed out to DuraTrac and the difference is remarkable. If you drive regularly on wintery roads, I would recommend DuraTrac.

Products Discussed in

To Top