1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck is acting weird

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by dtd608, May 30, 2023.

1. May 30, 2023 at 6:53 PM
    dtd608

dtd608 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra
    Not sure what’s going on with the truck. This past Friday, went to crank it up and it completely died. A few minutes later it started no problem and then shut off again. Tried a third time and it acted normal.

No issues all weekend.

Today it did the same thing. Went to start the truck and all power was gone. Tried a second time it cranked but then shut down. Third time it acted normal again, but was re-booting the audio system, mpg calculator, etc.

Idk what’s going on with it, I’m no mechanic. Anyone experience a similar issue or know what to check? Any help would be appreciated. It’s a 2010 Platinum with about 186k miles.

2. May 30, 2023 at 6:56 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    Step 1: Clean the battery terminals, and have the battery load tested.

Tripleconpanna, 15whtrd and KNABORES like this.
  3. May 30, 2023 at 7:01 PM
    dtd608

dtd608 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra
    I did check the connections and made sure they were clean, etc. I will need to get it load tested. Thanks.

4. May 30, 2023 at 7:48 PM
    baraynavab

baraynavab Toyo Junkie

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 5.7L V8
    So my truck was having random starting issues as well, similar to yours not starting randomly. Thought it was the starter, then immobilizer then key.. Even bought an OEM starter to replace.

But turned out to be a really bad corroded negative battery cable that was causing the problem.

I would certainly check your battery terminal, battery, and check all your grounds to the truck. Make sure the aren't corroded/oxidized. And heck I would even take the ground wires of the bolts, and clean the connection with wire brush properly and the re-bolt them as well just to be sure. Good luck.

5. May 30, 2023 at 7:57 PM
    baraynavab

baraynavab Toyo Junkie

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 5.7L V8
    Come to think of after cleaning the battery stuff and grounds. 3 other thing I would check is

1. Check if the Alternator is going bad (need to have >13.6v-14.5 iirc (forget the lower and upper limits to the voltage so please check) at the battery when the car is running)
    2. Check immobilizer
    3. Fuel sending unit/computer is working as expected. (this may not be it as your symptoms seem like they are electrical in nature pointing to the alternator, wiring, or immobilizer

dtd608[OP] likes this.
  6. May 30, 2023 at 8:28 PM
    blenton

blenton New Member

Member:
    ^ I would make the same suggestions. Battery terminals and battery. Try a second key if you have it. Check that you have fuel pressure.

dtd608[OP] likes this.
  7. May 31, 2023 at 7:02 PM
    dtd608

dtd608 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra
    So this morning when I went to leave for work everything was completely dead. Jumped the truck and went to work. Cranked up fine at the end of the day.

Left work and went by Costco and they just straight up replaced the battery for free since it was still within their warranty period. I installed it and it fired right up, then shut back off within a few seconds. Turned the key again and no issue the rest of the evening.

Going to start checking those other times y’all have mentioned and see what comes up.

8. May 31, 2023 at 7:10 PM
    dtd608

dtd608 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra
    Also, a week before this all started I had it at my local Toyota dealer for oil change / service. The tech that performed all of this told me he noticed the “water pump was leaking but not in bad shape.” I wonder if they could have done something to contribute to this issue?

Service was done on the 19th. Issue was first noticed on the 26th, water pump was replaced by a local mechanic on the 29th (truck was acting fine when he had it).

9. May 31, 2023 at 7:16 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    See if it repeats the issue now before chasing anything else. It’s common for these engines to die once or twice after a battery disconnect / replacement.

10. May 31, 2023 at 7:20 PM
    dtd608

dtd608 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra
    Good to know. Thanks for the info, this forum is great and you guys are helpful.

landphil[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. May 31, 2023 at 7:37 PM
    blenton

blenton New Member

Member:
    I concur. When I ran primary wire for my amps years ago, I disconnected the battery for a while, ran all the wiring, put the inline fuse in place, then hooked the battery back up. Cranked the truck over to take it for a spin and it caught, ran for a two seconds and shut down. I thought for sure that I had buggered something up. Definitely not my first audio install but I was sure worried for a hot minute. Cranked it a second time and it ran fine.

landphil[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. May 31, 2023 at 7:41 PM
    IsaiahCanada

IsaiahCanada New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaiah
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4x4
    2.5 inch lift, TRD front and rear sway bars, 33 inch Open Country AT3 305/55R20 and dual TRD exhaust.
    If your battery is good then it should be your alternator that needs to be replaced.

Products Discussed in

To Top