1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck does not accelerate, need help

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by pdiddy, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Nov 28, 2018 at 9:58 AM
    pdiddy

pdiddy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 platinum
    Icon 17 rebounds, total chaos UCA's, general grapplers 35's, corsa exhaust chopped, fox 2.5 DSC coilovers, DAP, white knuckle sliders, voodoo bed rack, baja lights everywhere, VLEDS, bedslide, C4 front bumper, warn winch, victory high hitch with dual swing out rear bumper
    Hey guys,

I have a 2017 platinum with DAP tune, ihacker harnesses 18 headlight mod, rigid fog lights, and vled upgrades outside and in. It started off with having some issues starting with my headlights. I noticed when I turn on my left blinker my headlights shut off or my gauge cluster lights go out. Not all the time but periodically. I have to manipulate my hi beam low beam toggle and headlights go back on. This has been going on for about a month. Yesterday drove my truck for the first time in 10 days. Had some codes like ABS and traction control on but they went away by end of the day. Now the main concern I am having is when I press the gas nothing happens, almost like a stall, truck doesn't move. I have to let go of the gas pedal and press pedal again for the truck to accelerate. In my 30 min drive home last night it happened at least half a dozen times. For now I flashed my DAP tune out and put it back to stock settings. I will know tomorrow when I drive my truck if this is the issue. Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues or if anyone has any insights what might be causing this. Thanks for the help guys.

NjPro likes this.
  2. Nov 28, 2018 at 10:20 AM
    NjPro

NjPro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Nj
    Vehicle:
    2017 Trd Pro Tundra cement
    Magnuson supercharger, Sprint booster, CB TRD PRO kit, 295/70/10 terra grapple G2, Black TRD shift knob, Rhino shackle hitch, Lund Tri-fold bed cover, 1.25 Spidertrax wheel spacers. TRD rear sway bar. Bud Built cross member. Arb Diff breather. Grab handle installed. 2012 DC SR5 TRD Supercharged, Gone but not forgotten.
    Did you check you throttle sensor cable behind the gas pedal. They can be kicked loose.

pdiddy[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 28, 2018 at 10:25 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    if you flashed back to stock, bring it to dealer for warranty work. this sounds like a dangerous situation when driving

pdiddy[OP] and NjPro like this.
  4. Nov 28, 2018 at 10:34 AM
    pdiddy

pdiddy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 platinum
    Icon 17 rebounds, total chaos UCA's, general grapplers 35's, corsa exhaust chopped, fox 2.5 DSC coilovers, DAP, white knuckle sliders, voodoo bed rack, baja lights everywhere, VLEDS, bedslide, C4 front bumper, warn winch, victory high hitch with dual swing out rear bumper
    Yeah it's sketchy for sure, found myself in some situations trying to make a left turn with oncoming traffic and my truck wasn't moving fml

5. Nov 28, 2018 at 10:37 AM
    iHacker

iHacker SW TRD PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO Super White CM
    2019 TRD PRO LED Headlights, 2019 TRD PRO Rigid LED Fog lights, All LED Interior, LED Cargo Lights, Bed LED Lights, Undercover Flex, Husky Weather beater floormats, FORTIN EVO ONE remote start, TDR Cold Air Intake, Tundra tail gate inserts, Pop & Lock...
    Interesting, I heard about people having issues with the blinker and headlights all of them Platinum and 1794 models not related to the new LED headlights because they all had the stock halogen and LED strip old headlights.

Definitely not a headlights problem because for Platinum the harness is plug n play and only converts the old plugs to the new one in LED headlights, the only thing could interfere is if you repined the turn signals (which isn’t required with my harness) or if you have the NSV bar and you used their T-harness.

6. Nov 28, 2018 at 10:39 AM
    iHacker

iHacker SW TRD PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO Super White CM
    2019 TRD PRO LED Headlights, 2019 TRD PRO Rigid LED Fog lights, All LED Interior, LED Cargo Lights, Bed LED Lights, Undercover Flex, Husky Weather beater floormats, FORTIN EVO ONE remote start, TDR Cold Air Intake, Tundra tail gate inserts, Pop & Lock...
    Is a really weird situation, and all this started to pop up in the forum in the last few weeks

7. Nov 28, 2018 at 10:41 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    was the issue happening before the DAP tune or after ?

8. Nov 28, 2018 at 10:45 AM
    iHacker

iHacker SW TRD PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO Super White CM
    You need to inspect the DAP tunner module connections maybe something is causing a short with the spliced wire used to supply power to the module,

9. Nov 28, 2018 at 11:01 AM
    pdiddy

pdiddy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 platinum
    Thanks ihacker this issue with headlight just started to happen as of recent. When I first installed your harnesses everything worked flawlessly. What is a NSV bar? I do have a light bar up front that has a direct switch that I can manually turn on and off. I never repined anything, it's all odd to me. I wonder if the dealer can find the issue.

10. Nov 28, 2018 at 11:04 AM
    pdiddy

pdiddy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 platinum
    I have been running the DAP tune for at least a solid 8 months and no issues. So this issue of no acceleration happened after the tune and all the other mods I listed. I will give an update tomorrow once I drive my truck around with no tune tomorrow, thanks.

TheBeast[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Nov 28, 2018 at 11:06 AM
    pdiddy

pdiddy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 platinum
    I don't think it's the module I haven't touch the module since I originally uploaded the tune over 8 months ago and truck ran fine. I will know more how the truck runs tomorrow back on stock settings. I'll keep you posted, thanks.

iHacker[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Nov 28, 2018 at 11:14 AM
    NjPro

NjPro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Nj
    Vehicle:
    Magnuson supercharger, Sprint booster, CB TRD PRO kit, 295/70/10 terra grapple G2, Black TRD shift knob, Rhino shackle hitch, Lund Tri-fold bed cover, 1.25 Spidertrax wheel spacers. TRD rear sway bar. Bud Built cross member. Arb Diff breather. Grab handle installed. 2012 DC SR5 TRD Supercharged, Gone but not forgotten.
  13. Nov 30, 2018 at 7:39 AM
    NjPro

NjPro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Nj
    Vehicle:
    Any updates ?

14. Nov 30, 2018 at 8:42 AM
    pdiddy

pdiddy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 platinum
    It's not the DAP tune still happens with stock map. I spoke to Dustin and I will be cleaning my MAF sensor to see if that is the culprit. If not I have an appointment at the dealer for free oil change and I will have them look into. I switched out my air cleaner a few months ago to a K&N so dirty air filter is ruled out. I will keep everyone posted, thanks.

NjPro[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Nov 30, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    pdiddy

pdiddy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 platinum
    BTW I realized it only happens in first or second gear while barley moving then when I try to accelerate it bogs down and no throttle response. All other gears are gtg

NjPro likes this.
  16. Nov 30, 2018 at 9:10 AM
    NjPro

NjPro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Nj
    Vehicle:
    Good luck, it is good to here that it is not the tune. You probably already know this but I wouldn’t bring the tune up to your dealership because unless you have a really good relationship with them, most likely if it’s not a easy diagnosis, they will blame the aftermarket ecu tuning.

In regards to your tuning, did you get the remote tune do or in person ?

I’m interested in getting “ Daptisted “ and have heard of nothing but good things. If you did the remote tune, was it complicated ?

Again good luck, I will pray to the TUNDRA GODS to look out for your truck.

17. Nov 30, 2018 at 1:27 PM
    pdiddy

pdiddy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 platinum
    Haha thanks for the prayer appreciate it. I have the remote handheld tuner nothing but great things for DAP and Dustin, I want to hurry and install my tune again but I need to figure this damn thing out with my truck first.

18. Nov 30, 2018 at 1:44 PM
    pdiddy

pdiddy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 platinum
    Sorry forgot to mention it's super easy to install and remove if needed just follow the prompts on the handheld

19. Nov 30, 2018 at 1:55 PM
    NjPro

NjPro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Nj
    Vehicle:
    Cool, I will be getting the tune soon. Thanks

pdiddy[OP] likes this.
  20. Nov 30, 2018 at 2:26 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    MAF could well be it if you over-oiled the K+N.

If not, I’m going to say to put the stock incandescent brake light bulbs back in (assuming those got switched to LED), make sure they’re working as they should, and try it. I have a feeling you’re getting power backfeeding into the brake light circuit which is triggering the “accellerator interlock” programming in the ECM. It could also be a faulty brake light switch or a bad ground connection to one of the lights.

TheBeast, ColoradoTJ, NjPro and 2 others like this.
  21. Nov 30, 2018 at 3:38 PM
    pdiddy

pdiddy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 platinum
    Damn reading your post seems to be my issue even without replacing my rear light bulbs yet. The rears I used the head light revolution LED's and had to install resistors for the blinkers not to blink rapidly. One of the rear LED brake bulbs kept falling out because fitment was not tight. I contacted head light revolution and informed them I had used duct tape to keep in place. They said that was a known issue and the duct tape method was ok lol. That might be my issue. I used VLED lights inside the cabin. Does anyone have any issue with VLED rear brake and rear turn signals? I would like to use LED bulbs in the rear, the halogens aren't bright enough. I might just have to buy VLED for my rears. I don't think it's my K&N it's new and I haven't had to apply any oil yet so shouldn't be over-oiled, thanks for your help.

TheBeast, landphil[QUOTED] and NjPro like this.
  22. Nov 30, 2018 at 4:47 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    I don’t have any LED recommendations for you, but I’m sure others here will, since it’s a common swap. May as well test the theory out with the cheap way if you still have the stock bulbs, and take it from there. And please do keep us updated.

pdiddy[QUOTED][OP] and NjPro like this.
  23. Nov 30, 2018 at 4:58 PM
    pdiddy

pdiddy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 platinum
    I need to look at home not sure if I have the stock bulbs if I do I will try. I just ordered the VLEDS Triton 6 brake lights with the vlr6 plug and play which is a way better design than headlight revolution and has less chance for things to lose ground or not work properly. I now understand why everyone on this forum goes with VLEDS. If I knew about VLEDS when I ordered my rears I would've have went that route. Couldn't be happier with my interior lights from VLEDS. I had some cheap LED lights for inside the cabin and trashed all those for VLEDS.

landphil[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Dec 3, 2018 at 9:27 AM
    pdiddy

pdiddy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 platinum
    If you are ever in Los Angeles I will buy you some beers :) You sir are the man, I changed my rear bulbs back to stock, removed the resistor, and put the wiring back to stock. And the problem is gone, drove the weekend and could not replicate the problem. I have VLEDS triton V6 plug and play rear LED lights coming and eager to install. the VLEDS kit seems legit with no possible areas of weakness.

So seems the culprit was either the LED bulb that was not fitting tightly in the harness that I had to duct tape. Or the resistor which makes you tap into your stock wires. I am glad to be done with these bulbs (headlight revolution). I won't even bother selling to someone else because they will run into these issues. I'm gonna just trash these and call it an expensive learning experience. ihacker BTW this might be the issue of my headlights turning off when I turn on my left blinker. I will test tonight on the way home and let you know, thanks again @landphil

TheBeast and landphil[QUOTED] like this.
  25. Dec 3, 2018 at 9:48 AM
    plumber802

plumber802 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Platinum CM
    I love a happy ending! I just bought a bunch of VLED bulbs that I have not yet installed.Glad to hear that they have a good track record.

pdiddy[OP] likes this.
  26. Dec 4, 2018 at 11:28 AM
    Crunch527

Crunch527 Brute Force and Ignorance

Member:
    Iowa
    TRD Supercharger/BAM
    Glad you got it sorted. Given the complexity of today's vehicles it can be hard to track down issues based on the symptoms/electrical gremlins.

pdiddy[OP] likes this.
  27. Dec 4, 2018 at 11:37 AM
    pdiddy

pdiddy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 platinum
    Thanks couldn't believe some bulbs would cause so much havoc. On another update @iHacker the headlights still turn off when I turn on my left turn blinker periodically. Not sure what is causing this but it doesn't have to do with the led tail lights. You mentioned it's isolated to platinum's and 1794's?

28. Dec 4, 2018 at 11:41 AM
    iHacker

iHacker SW TRD PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO Super White CM
    Yes, I can’t find the thread but somebody posted about this same issue in a Platinum or 1794 can’t remember but is one of the trucks with LED strip and halogen bulbs from factory, then a few more reported about the same problem

pdiddy[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  29. Dec 4, 2018 at 11:48 AM
    iHacker

iHacker SW TRD PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO Super White CM
    I recommend you to switch the harness from affected side to the other side this to make sure isn’t a problem related with the harness, if the problem is caused by the harness send me a PM to send you a replacement. But definitely for 1794/Platinum wiring is untouched and islolated each other from blinker or headlight.

pdiddy[OP] likes this.
  30. Dec 4, 2018 at 11:51 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I find that it’s one of the stupidest things I’ve heard in a while. Messing with the wiring on tail lights can cause a truck to go into limp mode? Holy shit that’s stupid! Along the lines of me leaving a dome light on by accident and it causing my alarm to go off every 10 to 15 minutes. Hey make sure you turn the light off because you’re going to drain the battery! No the alarm is going to drain the battery LOL.

Op I’m glad you’re getting it figured out.

TheBeast and pdiddy[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top