1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck cap clamps

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Seanson, May 22, 2016.

1. May 22, 2016 at 10:21 AM
    Seanson

Seanson [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra TRD Reg Cab Short Box
    So I've got a Leer truck cap for my 2010 RCSB but I've got no idea what kind of clamps I need. Will small C clamps work?
    Can anyone help me out ?

2. May 22, 2016 at 11:01 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Don't use a C clap. Over time they will work there way loose with vibration.. plus they are smooth surface. You need teething surface to bite into the metal and fiberglass.

if you can goto leer and order replacement ones. That way you don't have to worry about C clamp coming loose and causing a accident at 70mph.

3. May 25, 2016 at 3:33 PM
    Old Time Goat

Old Time Goat OldTimeGoat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14+ Tundra, Crew Max, 5.7L, 4X4, TRD, SR5
    About 2 months ago, I donated my old 89 GMC pickup to the Salvation Army. I owned it for 18 years. It had a over-sized cap on it when I bought it and it was held down with 4, 4"C-clamps. The clamps never came loose and I did check them. They were a little rusted, so I'm sure that prevented them from loosening. You could always remove all lubrication from the threads of the clamp and use Lock-Tite on them. I always meant to drill & bolt the cap to the bed rim, but never got around to it. It was only 18 years, ...so? But, I must say that in all those years the truck saw less that 500 highway miles and I never felt really comfortable with only 4 C-clamps. I would have much preferred 6 or 8, 5/16" or 3/8" machine bolts, nylon lock nuts and heavy washers.
    Tomorrow, I'm having a new Lear cap installed on the 14 Tundra that I just bought and I'm curious as to how they will fasten it down. This truck will see a lot of highway miles and if I'm not satisfied with their fastening methods, you can bet that I'll be fixing that problem real fast.

4. May 25, 2016 at 7:04 PM
    Seanson

Seanson [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I sprung for a set from crappy tire. Cost me 60$ but I managed to get the cap for 50$ tho, so not too bad

5. May 26, 2016 at 2:37 PM
    Seanson

Seanson [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Finally picked it up.... not bad for 50$! Just needs paint.... or should I match paint the my flares red ?:p

IMG_8623.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top