1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Exhaust and towing?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by BulldogDan, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Nov 17, 2020 at 7:25 PM
    BulldogDan

BulldogDan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Cement…Tundra #9
    I am getting the itch to add the the TRD exhaust to my ‘19 Platinum. But at least 50% of my driving will be towing our 7,000lb. Lance travel trailer. Since the truck will be in tow mode while yanking the camper around...will I tire of the drone on the highway from the higher revs at cruising speed? Is anyone else towing a fairly heavy camper with the TRD exhaust? Is the drone that noticeable when towing a fairly heavy load?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  2. Nov 17, 2020 at 7:29 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
  3. Nov 17, 2020 at 9:58 PM
    Hightide

Hightide SSEM #88 - 3MW - ASCM #2 RGBA#Q

Member:
    First Name:
    chadington von banks
    Abalama
    Vehicle:
    Magic School Bus
    Posi-traction 4 on the floor Fuzzy dice
    The helicopter sound and loss of low end will disappoint you.

4. Nov 18, 2020 at 12:13 AM
    Maadcaap

Maadcaap White Tundys

Member:
    Rancho Cucamonga, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Trd Pro
    275/70/18 KO2
    I tow a lance 2285.. I dont have any complaints about the exhaust noise.. it is a bit loud climbing grades at higher RPM.. but i like it... update: my wife agrees that is not too loud

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  5. Nov 18, 2020 at 12:47 AM
    Tundyfundy

Tundyfundy Petunia The Tundra, and her sidekick Colbie

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey DC SR5 4x4 2016
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    I tow a camper between 7000 and 8000 Lbs. Its pretty loud at higher RPM but otherwise pretty good sounding. If i did it again Id go with the dirty deeds system.

6. Nov 18, 2020 at 12:50 AM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    10” system from Keith @dirtydeeds is the way to go.

GODZILLA, BulldogDan[OP] and WILLINH like this.
  7. Nov 18, 2020 at 6:47 AM
    BulldogDan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Cement…Tundra #9
    54C75608-CE3E-455A-B7AD-7A86AE6CFC78.jpgWe tow a 2285 also! Love the camper. Just got it in September. Had to drive 3 hours to buy it as it was the only one in Ohio at the time. Our previous camper, a Jayco Hybrid (that was stolen in July) was much lighter. The Tundra tows both very easily. I just don’t want to ruin the experience I have if there is a constraint drone when I am towing by adding the TRD or BAM 10” exhaust. I did call Dirty Deeds and that is what he suggested, the BAM 10.

Hightide likes this.
  8. Nov 18, 2020 at 6:50 AM
    BulldogDan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Cement…Tundra #9
    I called Keith when I had my Rock Warrior and he suggested the 10” if towing.

9. Nov 18, 2020 at 6:55 AM
    BulldogDan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Cement…Tundra #9
    I am not sure what you mean by a helicopter sound. Is there an intermittent whoosh sound? I have read that you may lose power at the low end. Does the tow/haul mode help compensate for that?

10. Nov 18, 2020 at 6:58 AM
    CNE0207

CNE0207 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement CM Limited
    Another Vote here for @dirtydeeds Keirh is the man. Plus I think there’s a group buy right now save some $$$ and get a better system

BulldogDan[OP] and Hightide like this.
  11. Nov 18, 2020 at 7:03 AM
    Shuffler

Shuffler New Member

Member:
    NW Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 CrewMax 4WD
    I've towed enough with the TRD dual exhaust to know it was a mistake putting it on in the first place. Want to lose your mind? Tow a trailer across Wyoming a few times with the 5.7 howling at 3500-4000 RPM and the fkn transmission constantly searching for the right gear. Every time I'd get home, I swore it was over, and I'm getting an HD diesel. But here I am, still with the Tundra. FWIW I haven't noticed any 'loss of low end power' and love the sound of the truck otherwise, but if I was using it to tow frequently, I'd make sure I had a much quieter exhaust.

12. Nov 18, 2020 at 7:09 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    There's a chopping kind of rhythmic chuff-chuff-chuff that most liken to the sound of a helicopter.

13. Nov 18, 2020 at 7:13 AM
    jstyle

jstyle New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Gray Offroad CrewMax
    Interesting. I tow a 26" Grey Wolf TT. The sound I definitely don't mind but it does hunt for gears a lot and is impossible to get it to downshift sometimes. I figured it was just the Tundra not the exhaust.

BulldogDan[OP] likes this.
  14. Nov 18, 2020 at 7:28 AM
    Hightide

Member:
    First Name:
    chadington von banks
    Abalama
    Vehicle:
    Magic School Bus

Tow haul definitely helps.
    D.A.P tune will do wonders as well.

Helicopter sound is just a back and forth reverberation like the drone you hear everyone speak of.
    It just makes a wha wha wha wha wha wha drone at cruising speeds.

15. Nov 18, 2020 at 7:32 AM
    Hightide

Member:
    First Name:
    chadington von banks
    Abalama
    Vehicle:
    Magic School Bus
    Pulling this with TRD dual, tow haul button and DAP tune.
    Tow gearing but about to re gear to 5:29

0482408F-26F7-4CC9-9FD7-15DEA2763B66.jpg

16. Nov 18, 2020 at 7:36 AM
    Netmonkey

Netmonkey Don't be a Dumbass

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Texas Edition, 5.7, CM, MGM
    Icon stage 2 lift, 295 60 20 nitto ridge grapplers, fuel kranks, TRD dual exhaust, TRD rear sway bar
    I have the TRD dual exhaust and I recently rented a travel trailer that weighed around 5500 pounds. I kept the truck in S4 and stayed around 3000 rpm. At that rpm the exhaust was loud (however, I am not sure why some people are having transmission shifting issues? just keep it in S4/5). My wife and I could still comfortably talk over the exhaust, but after 280 miles, it was time to get out of the truck :)
    I am not sure what the "helicopter drone" is. To me, the exhaust sounds like exhaust.
    I never felt a loss in low end torque, but I am also DAP tuned running 90 octane ethanol free fuel (and using tow/haul mode).
    With everyday driving, the exhaust is not loud unless you romp on the gas.
    I still love the TRD exhaust :)

17. Nov 18, 2020 at 8:04 AM
    rothmigo

rothmigo New Member

Member:
    DFW TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Crewmax Platinum
    7" BDS/Fox, 5.29, 37x13.50 Nitto, 22x12 Hostile Rage,BAM
    @Hightide
    I regeared to 5.29 to deal with the 37's. It's a different truck now! Might be a bit livelier than I would want on stock tires dunno..I'm in 2nd gear in like 20 feet now lol. Do you use airbags or custom springs for towing that skid steer and trailer - impressive? Thanks!

18. Nov 18, 2020 at 8:24 AM
    Hightide

Member:
    First Name:
    chadington von banks
    Abalama
    Vehicle:
    Magic School Bus

Yeah, I’m going to 35s plus a ton of towing. Running 33s now.

Air bags all the way.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

19. Nov 18, 2020 at 9:01 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Tow/haul adjusts throttle mapping and shift behavior for better response while towing. It doesn't increase your torque or HP. Technically, no, it doesn't compensate for the loss low end, but it isn't going to be such a huge loss that you're likely to notice anyway.

The drone can be choppy and tiresome, but you can cut the majority of that with a proper resonator. Dirty Deeds BAMuffler systems come with resonators you install to cut the drone. Either way you go will be an improvement over stock.

20. Nov 18, 2020 at 9:33 AM
    Hightide

Member:
    First Name:
    chadington von banks
    Abalama
    Vehicle:
    Magic School Bus
    The TRD has an excellent top end and sounds great!

I hope my post don’t seem to knock it.
    Just pointing out my experience.
    The longer you have them on the better they sound.

21. Nov 18, 2020 at 9:42 AM
    TrenThom86

TrenThom86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trent
    NW Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro Lunar Rock
    I had a flowmaster (don’t remember the model) on my ram 1500. I hated it when towing my camper. The TRD pro exhaust isn’t as loud and annoying. I haven’t been anywhere too far away with the camper yet since I got the tundra so no hills yet but towing it around here seems much less annoying.

22. Nov 18, 2020 at 10:43 AM
    Pbed85

Pbed85 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2019 dbl cab limited cement
    I have the DD 12"
    When towing I wish I kept it stock but sounds great otherwise

23. Nov 18, 2020 at 10:51 AM
    RitcheyRch

RitcheyRch New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Lowered & Supercharged Crewmax
    TRD Lowered and Supercharged
    Same thought with my TRD exhaust. One day will add a H-pipe to see if that helps with the drone and helicopter type sound.

24. Nov 18, 2020 at 10:53 AM
    Rebel Tundra Man

Rebel Tundra Man New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Limited CM
    4" RCX Lift, 20x10 Fuel Coupler's, 35x12.50x20 Nitto Ridge Grappler's, Color Match Front End, LED Bulbs, RCX Tube Steps, Green LED Underglow
    I read alot of mixed emotions above on replies to your post. The final result is going to be dependent on your preferences. I never get tired of hauling my roughly 10,000lb load of trailer and tractor combo behind my tundra and listening to the moans and groans it makes. I do not have the TRD exhaust, but I replaced my factory mufflers with a Borla Pro XS muffler dual in/out and ran duals out the back as well. The truck does not make any kind of drone or whine or sound I do not like at any RPM range that I have found. (I came from a 4" dual straight piped cummins) so obviously I enjoy the beautiful sound of a good running engine. However, I have found that my exhaust makes the best sound around 1900 under a good load in probably 2-3rd gear range? Long haul trips have yet to bother me either, I have 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers to combine in the abyss of noises too.

25. Nov 18, 2020 at 6:20 PM
    TTund16

TTund16 New Member

Member:
    They say you lose a few torque at the lower end and gain a few at higher end ... Even if true, based on what I've read, the loss/gain is about %2 of the total torque and not noticeable.
    Your car condition including gas, oil, tires, etc. has much more impact than the TRD exhaust.
    Mine came with factory dual TRD exhaust and I didn't want it to begin with but that was the only car on the lot with features that I wanted so I bought it but I really like it now. It has a nice sound.
    you hear some drone if doing 60+ mph in 6th gear and low rpm (2000ish) but when towing you will be at much higher rpm and it will have a nice sound. idk, maybe it grew on me but if I buy another truck, i will get the factory TRD Dual exhaust again.

Tundyfundy likes this.
  26. Nov 18, 2020 at 6:28 PM
    TelemarkTumalo

TelemarkTumalo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Pro Double Cab Army Green
    Driver side grab handle Door sill protectors Falken WildPeak 295/70 R18 X-Pel clear front paint protection 20% front window tint Go Rhino RB20 side steps - Bedliner finish Lock'er Down 1/2 console safe Toyota bed cargo divider Toyota auto tail gate lock
    Any dyno data on this? I would find it surprising that Toyota would put an exhaust on the 5.7 that would negatively impact performance.

27. Nov 18, 2020 at 6:33 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Last that I remember reading was that there was slight reduction on low end torque but a slight increase in high RPM horsepower. I understand that this is pretty typical when there's an exhaust increase in flow/lessening of backpressure.

TTund16 likes this.
  28. Nov 18, 2020 at 6:44 PM
    TTund16

TTund16 New Member

Member:
    I read somewhere that dual exhaust helps engine and other exhaust parts run a little cooler and beneficial in long term.
    Not sure how significant the heat reduction/distribution is and can't recall the source of the info or if it is true ...
    You would think if dual exhaust had no benefits, why would any car come with it? but I haven't done any extensive research.

why do race cars or fancy sport cars have dual exhaust?

29. Nov 18, 2020 at 7:57 PM
    Hightide

Member:
    First Name:
    chadington von banks
    Abalama
    Vehicle:
    Magic School Bus

Just butt Dyno. It was noticeable to me.

I think @dirtydeeds had some numbers on this at one point.

Tundyfundy likes this.
  30. Nov 18, 2020 at 8:24 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    All engines and exhausts are not created equal. WRX 2.0 engine, for example, gains power with a better breathing exhaust. Especially if you kill the EGR, but needs a tune for it. The 5.7 in the Tundras needs the back pressure of the single pipe exhaust to have that low end grunt.

All in all, the loss is minimal for duals, and it adds a sound no other Tundra has from the factory. That's reason enough to put it in the Pro; a trim that is 99.99999% cosmetic.

Products Discussed in

To Top