1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Travel Trailer Advice

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by cook2kill, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Jun 18, 2019 at 8:53 PM
    cook2kill

cook2kill [OP] PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Portland OR
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    So I want to buy one. I know nothing about them.

Is there a forum similar to this that would help educate me?

Looking for a bunkhouse. I want something quality but I don’t need the “platinum”. More like a nice crew max with an off-road package so to speak.

Any tips in my search?

Thank You All

2. Jun 18, 2019 at 9:15 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    https://www.tundras.com/forums/towing-hauling.53/

I'd look for an Ultralight TT 6500lb dry or less. The higher you go, the more squirrelly it can get, the harder it is to stop. Some in the fb group push the limits many of us here wouldn't.

Your max payload is listed on the sticker inside your door. That's calculated by weight of mods done to your truck, passengers, gear you bring, and tongue weight of trailer. Your TW will increase when you add propane tanks, battery and if there is front storage in the TT.

You'll need (some maybe):
    -tow mirrors
    -WDH
    -air bags
    -Furrion backup cam
    -Tekonsha P3 if you don't have a brake controller

Mountun Goat likes this.
  3. Jun 18, 2019 at 9:45 PM
    Mountun Goat

Mountun Goat She baaaaaahd

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    EhBerta, Canadia
    Vehicle:
    It’s a Goat.
    I pull an 18’ ultralight Edge bumper pull. Even with running on 37s and stock gears feels like a dream to pull.

6E1BA0F6-A672-48D9-90BE-B3EBCF9717AE.jpg

JoshuaA and Y0TA PR0 like this.
  4. Jun 18, 2019 at 10:12 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
  5. Jun 19, 2019 at 1:12 PM
    cook2kill

cook2kill [OP] PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Portland OR
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    Thanks guys! When it comes to specific trailer makes it seems like the reviews are pretty much mixed for all of them.

Any insight on a particular make that offers good quality/value

6. Jun 19, 2019 at 1:17 PM
    Ynot_tonY

Ynot_tonY Merciful

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Baby mods doo doo doo doo doo doo
    Audio/Lift/Tires
    All trailers are pretty much built the same, until you get into the higher pricepoints. You will notice variences between two of the exact same model parked side by side that rolled off the line one after another.

The best advice I can give is go over it with a fine tooth comb, don't completely trust the salesman, the more you use it/the less it breaks, and visit the forums out there (there are tons). Youtube is also turning into a great resource with tons of information.

Goodluck!

7. Jun 19, 2019 at 2:42 PM
    Prison rooster

Prison rooster New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Tn
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD SR5
    I picked up a coachman almost 5 months ago. I have taken it out 4 times anywhere from 80 miles to 650 miles one way. I love it. But I suppose i haven't had it long enough to have any complaints yet.

8. Jun 19, 2019 at 4:25 PM
    JH5370

JH5370 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DC TRD PRO
    You can get very deep down the rabbit hole very quickly talking about trailers. There is a great youtube channel called big truck big RV. He does a lot of walk throughs and explains things build quality and differences. As far as trailer construction goes, they are built cheaply and everything is pretty flimsy but that is normal until you get into the very high end models. As stated previously check the individual trailer you are interested before you buy it. There will be a weight sticker on the tongue that give you dry weight. I can almost guarantee it won't be what the brochure or the salesman tells you. My best advise is to figure out how big of a trailer you need, and then determine how much weight you can tow. There is much more that goes into how much weight you can tow than just the max towing capacity. You already have the truck so now you have to find a trailer you can safely pull. Just because a trailer says "half ton towable" doesn't mean it is. This is a great video that explains some of that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFLOBrADBs

Ynot_tonY likes this.
  9. Jun 19, 2019 at 5:42 PM
    fundra_goes_west

fundra_goes_west I’m just a guy with a girl

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 SQ8
    This is a rabbit hole, trust me I’m in it. There’s tons of good forums out there from ExPo to irv2.com

Things I have learned so far:
    - stay light with the tundra pulling
    - like everyone mentioned, they are built pretty cheaply (read: be ready to DIY maintenance or pay bucks to have it maintained)
    - off road TT’s will never really be truly “off-road” until you start spending $40k+
    - mods are almost like the tundra, once you pop you can’t stop
    - no two TT’s are the same a close inspection is critical
    - buy used. They depreciate like crazy
    - loans on them are a total scam at 10yr plus pay cash unless you like long term financing a quickly depreciating asset.

That’s where I’m at so far.

Oh... And I looked at 1500’s and 2500’s today just in case I really like them and want to upgrade to a bigger TT in the future.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  10. Jun 19, 2019 at 6:05 PM
    Steve89gt

Steve89gt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited CM
    De-badged, De-chromed, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Bilstein 5100s, Fuel 18 x 9 wheels, BFG KO2s 275/70/18, ESP Underseat Storage
    We went with the Passport brand because of the aluminum construction (vs. wood) and more/better insulation. Not a high end brand, but something akin to “Limited” trim on a tundra. Concur with what the other posters have said regarding resources (+1 on Big Truck Big RV; his videos are priceless) and being prepared to do your own maintenance. Also consider storage location and options; we’re paying quite a bit for covered storage so the sun doesn’t beat the hell out of the thing.

JH5370 likes this.
  11. Jun 19, 2019 at 6:19 PM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra CM 5.7 Platinum Dark Black
    you can easily lift most trailers almost 5 inches by simply doing and over/under axle switch. Simply purchase longer u-bolts and a cheap kit with the metal brackets sized for your axle diameter and move the axle from above the leafs to below them. Throw a decent larger tire on there and you have a completely capable follower rig for behind your tundra for a few hundred bucks.

12. Jun 19, 2019 at 6:28 PM
    jeremyd

jeremyd 2014 Crewmax SR5

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4X4
    ProComp 7" 35/12.50/18 -11
    Not sure how much you want to spend, but here is a starting point for you. We paid 12k for this brand new. (2015) It’s good for 2 people. Jayco makes another model up from this one that has bunk beds but still uses a single axle..I think that is around 14k. My advice is to go small, simply because it’s easy to maneuver around. Good luck on your search.
    42DA262B-A50A-432A-AE59-9F33BB86C5F3.jpg

fundra_goes_west likes this.
  13. Jun 19, 2019 at 6:40 PM
    fundra_goes_west

fundra_goes_west I’m just a guy with a girl

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 SQ8
    I’ve been looking at the Jayco’s myself. That and the NoBo from Forest River

jeremyd[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jun 19, 2019 at 6:45 PM
    jeremyd

jeremyd 2014 Crewmax SR5

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4X4
    I didn’t know anything about Jayco when we bought it. We just liked that it was small and affordable. Lol. But it has definitely proved itself, after 4 years and still pulling it everywhere, nothing has ever broke.

15. Jun 19, 2019 at 7:16 PM
    cook2kill

cook2kill [OP] PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Portland OR
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    Great stuff everybody. Keep it coming. Anyone have experience with the Colman lantern series? I’ve heard they aren’t built to last but it seems like that’s pretty standard. I like the price/features.

Also I have only ever towed a 16’ light v Hull for duck hunting. How crazy is it towing a 6500 27’ trailer? Man that’s a noob question.....

jeremyd likes this.
  16. Jun 19, 2019 at 7:22 PM
    jeremyd

jeremyd 2014 Crewmax SR5

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4X4
    Tons of people pulling 6500 pound trailers, no issues.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  17. Jun 19, 2019 at 8:04 PM
    ScottsTundra

ScottsTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Crewmax
    Headwaters seat covers, Undercover Flex
    Anyone ever look into a cargo trailer conversion? Colorado Trailers look like they make some pretty cool trailers. I’ve read that they are built better

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  18. Jun 19, 2019 at 8:07 PM
    Gould71

Gould71 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum Midnight Black
    TRD swaybar, TRD shift knob, FN FX Pro wheels, Toyo AT/IIIs, VLED interior and puddles
    We looked at literally hundreds of travel trailers in our search for something of decent build quality that wouldn’t break the bank. We’d check out YouTube reviews and internet info only to see them in person and be so disappointed with the shoddy workmanship. We finally settled on a Lance. They are a bit more pricey than the average but comparing to an Airstream are quite affordable.

My advice is shy away from stick and tin construction and go with fiberglass and aluminum if you can. Also, most of the manufacturers pay their workers by the piece so they are slapped together as fast they can crank them out. You’ll generally get better quality from a business that pays employees by the hour. Don’t forget to add in a quality weight distribution hitch with sway control (Equalizer and Andersen are very popular).

Good luck with your search!

JH5370, ColoradoTJ and Steve89gt like this.
  19. Jun 19, 2019 at 8:14 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Well made, and like the Work & Play's from Forest River.

I purchased my equipment hauler from them. Price, options, and service were top notch. Three of my other crawler buddies purchased there as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top