1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission Temperature

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by johns76, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Jun 25, 2020 at 4:45 PM
    johns76

johns76 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I recently purchased a used Toyota, Certified, 2015 SR Tundra, 4.6L, which happened to NOT have the towing package. Little did I know at the time the Catch 22 I would run into while attempting to have a "Tow Package" installed.

A little background, I plan on towing a light weight travel trailer (2400 pounds dry weight) and was told by the dealer my truck's towing capacity was rated at 6,800 pounds and therefore not a problem for my use as planned. Since then I've installed an 8000 lb Gross weight, with 800 lb. tongue weight trailer hitch (when used with a weight distribution system), a Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, and a Scan Gauge II to monitor transmission temperature while towing.

Originally, my plan was to add a transmission cooler just to have peace of mind while traveling through Colorado and other mountainous camping destinations. That was when I discovered my Tundra did not have the "Tow Package" installed at the factory (including transmission cooler), and therefore not eligible to have it installed now (for some reason). See my written request to Toyota and their reply: "I understand that my 2015 Tundra with 4.6L has a maximum towing capacity of 6,800 pounds. I pull a travel trailer that is well under the capacity, but would like the peace of mind of adding a transmission cooler to my Tundra. Is there a Toyota certified transmission cooler that can be added to my Tundra? Thanks. Question Reference # 200511-000188." "Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. We appreciate you taking time to e-mail us with your inquiry. We apologize, the supplemental transmission cooler is only available on 2015 model-year Tundra trucks with the optional Tow Package. We have checked the VIN of your 2015 Tundra SR Double Cab to confirm that this veh is not equipped with that package. In addition, this feature is a factory installed component and cannot be added at the dealership. We apologize as, other than Toyota Racing Development (TRD), we do not recommend or assist with modifying our vehicles from the original factory specifications. Toyota's warranty covers repairs and adjustments needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of any part supplied by Toyota. Modifications to your vehicle could affect the performance, safety or durability, and may violate government regulations. Non-Toyota parts, or any damage or failures resulting from their use, are not covered by any Toyota warranty. Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters."

Well, that was not what I was expecting to hear, but not sure what else could be done, so I wrote a second request asking for Toyota to provide me with what would be the upper limits for the transmission temperature, just to I could be aware not to go over the recommended limits while traveling. Following is my second request and their answer: "With regards to my earlier question (Reference # 200511-000188), If my particular model truck is not factory equipped with a Tow Package, and therefore does not include a transmission cooler, would you please provide me with the transmission temperature upper limits rating while towing? I have heard multiple unofficial temperature limits, but I would like an official word on what the upper temperature limit would be before the transmission could possibly be damaged. This would help me to insure I am towing in a responsible manner. Question Reference # 200623-000060" "Thank you for the reply. We apologize, Toyota does not have any specific or technical information to provide regarding transmission operation temperatures for your vehicle or any Toyota vehicle. We kindly suggest contacting your local Toyota dealership for possible information. We are very sorry for the invonvenience. Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #2005112705."

Well...I contacted the service department where I purchased the truck with the same question, and all he could say was that he googled "Tundra Talk" and the majority opinion was "about 240 degrees." When I asked if he could send me an email for documenting purposes, he indicated this was just what he found from a "Google Search" and therefore could not be held liable for those numbers!!!!

Sorry this has taken so long, but am very curious what experience anyone has had with these two questions. Number one, is there a Transmission Cooler that might be recommended, or am I over compensating on that given my lightweight trailer. Second, what are the actual temperature upper limits of what the transmission can handle? Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  2. Jun 25, 2020 at 8:15 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Paragraphs would make your post much more readable.

If you're out of warranty, what Toyota says is really immaterial...if you want a capable tow vehicle, then retrofit a ATF cooler to your 4.6L using 2010-2013 parts. A lot of good info on transmission fluid temperatures (5.7L) in this thread:

https://www.tundras.com/threads/install-complete-on-additional-transmission-cooler.12385/

I'm currently planning to retrofit a transmission thermostat and cooler to my 4.6L. I have posted the parts list I've compiled thus far, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Note that I edited the cooler I will use (~29000 BTU) based on the thread above:

https://www.tundras.com/threads/4-6-towing-with-no-tow-package.34031/#post-1797403

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top