1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission lurch at slow speeds

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Digital Avocado, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Feb 15, 2022 at 8:42 AM
    Digital Avocado

Digital Avocado [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5 4x4 CrewMax TRD Off Road
    Curious if anyone else is experiencing this. It does not seem normal to me.

When I transition from slowing to going at very low speeds, the truck hesitates then lurches forward. I most often encounter this scenario at roundabouts when slowing for traffic in the circle and then needing to go on my turn. One might also experience the lurch during a rolling stop at a stop sign.

If I come to an absolute complete stop I don’t seem to experience any lurch. The transmission seems to be operating smoothly otherwise. I duplicated the scenario by slowing to around 2 mph on a side street with the regional Toyota field engineer in the truck with me. The engineers at HQ are crunching numbers right now.

Notes/observations:
    - Did NOT notice any lurch with my 2021 Tundra
    - Lurch only happens during transition from slowing to going in the 1-3 mph range
    - When my 2022 Tundra comes a complete stop, the speedometer will still read 2 mph for a moment, the cycle down to 0
    - there is a clunk that I hear/feel on cold starts (author in another thread noted the same noise)
    - no lurch if I manually down shift while slowing then get on the gas

2. Feb 15, 2022 at 8:52 AM
    articdesert

articdesert Will work for truck parts

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 1794 MGM
    I kinda notice it. thought it was just the turbo spooling up to go

3. Feb 15, 2022 at 9:12 AM
    Digital Avocado

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    That is what I first thought, and it may still be. Which lead me to try manually downshifting as I slowed. But the manual downshifting could be keeping the engine speed up, thus engaging the turbos more quickly and thereby “eliminating” the perceived lurch.

This is my first turbo vehicle, I’ll definitely admit that I am learning more each day about the turbo setup. Very much why I am posting here. Not sure if what I am experiencing is a truck issue or driver issue yet.

4. Feb 15, 2022 at 9:19 AM
    articdesert

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 1794 MGM
    reading about all these possible issues does make me nervous. I'll just keep babying mine until after the break in period

5. Feb 15, 2022 at 9:29 AM
    Digital Avocado

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    Smart to following the break in period guidelines, but after that I wouldn’t worry too much. Yes, those of us that have some issues are posting online to chat about it and learn, but there are many more trucks out there with zero issues. I am confident that Toyota will take care of any issues, otherwise I would have purchased from a different brand.

It’s also a first year of a brand new platform. So it is a bit of a roll of the dice, but again, Toyota has a reputation for being very diligent with their engineering.

I would say don’t fret and enjoy your truck! :)

6. Feb 15, 2022 at 9:39 AM
    articdesert

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 1794 MGM
    I am trying to. partly cuz of that, and cuz I'm still on my first tank of gas since getting it and I'm still trying to work on the mpg's to see what's the average. I'm at 16.3 after 10 days. which is less than what I'm hoping it to be

7. Feb 15, 2022 at 9:40 AM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    I’ve noticed this to, it seems like it’s the downshift from 2nd to 1st or 3rd to 1st. It’s annoying for sure.

8. Feb 15, 2022 at 9:44 AM
    Digital Avocado

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    What’s the weather like near you? I’ve only had a few warm days (just touching 40 degrees), otherwise mostly in the teens. My other vehicles definitely do poorly mpg wise in the winter with idling during daycare pickup/drop off and the cold in general. I’ve seen close to 20 mpg during the warm days. But otherwise sitting just under 16 mpg at nearly 3,100 miles of pretty cold driving/idling.

9. Feb 15, 2022 at 9:48 AM
    articdesert

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 1794 MGM
    it's been high 30s in the mornings. then goes up to low 60s here in Mississippi.

10. Feb 15, 2022 at 9:51 AM
    Digital Avocado

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    When I move the shift lever to manual mode, when stopped, it reads 4th gear in Eco and Normal mode. In Sport mode it reads 3rd when I come to a stop and shift from Drive to manual mode.

I feel like it is a programming issue or choice. The regional field engineer from Toyota had the dealership reset the main computer so that the transmission could re-learn my driving habits. When I first picked up the truck, we got a fair amount of snow, I spent a few days really feathering the throttle in the mixed road conditions, so maybe the truck AI learned some odd shift/throttle tendencies. I am not sure the computer reset is helping though.

11. Feb 15, 2022 at 10:02 AM
    Digital Avocado

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    Well shucks! I wasn’t hoping I would see my mpg’s improve this spring!! Guess I’ll have to throw the truck in Eco mode and forgo the sweet whir of the turbos spooling up…

No more Sport mode for me.

On a positive note, Andre from TFL recorded a highway loop at something like 23 or 24 mpg on premium fuel at altitude after their 2022 Limited 4x4 CrewMax had crossed 2,000+ miles on the odometer. Hopefully you will see improved MPG after the break in period.

12. Feb 15, 2022 at 10:59 AM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    Yeah, the manual mode is a range selector. So the gear that is displayed is the maximum range allowed. So it will shift normally up to the gear you selected. So if you select 4 for example, it will still still shift up and down between 1 and 4 but it will hold 4 no matter what speed you’re going.

As for the learning reset they did, that’s for the shift control learning. There are solenoids that control the clutches inside the transmission. Due to variation in parts from vehicle to vehicle, the TCM learns the pressures needed to engage the different clutches for the shifts. It might help with your issue since it might help properly learn each shift and stop harsh shifting.

There is AI shift control in the vehicle and most Lexuses but it’s not what you think it is. It uses the road grade to select lower gears and also how quickly you apply/release your pedal to judge if it should hold a gear. Also it will look at lateral G in order to judge if a gear should be held.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  13. Feb 15, 2022 at 11:21 AM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    I think what you’re describing is normal for a multi speed transmission ( over 6 gears ) .

14. Feb 15, 2022 at 1:28 PM
    Digital Avocado

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the explanation! :thumbsup: This is helpful.

15. Feb 15, 2022 at 1:30 PM
    Digital Avocado

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    Good to know! Not only my first vehicle with a turbo, but also my first vehicle with more than 6 gears that isn’t a CVT.

Lovetrucks[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top