1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tranny refill plug ?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by My2cents, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Jan 5, 2021 at 11:46 AM
    My2cents

My2cents [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2001 tundra sr5 v8
    I bought the truck new, its been many moons ago since the transmission was replaced. I think possibly in 2006 or 2007. I do recall I purchased the extended warranty which was 6years/100,000 miles. It seems that I may have been over the 6 year mark by a couple weeks but had not reached 100,000 miles. Never the less the thing checked out me on my way to work. Since the transmission was replaced I've had no issues that has warranted service. So I'm looking at 13 plus years with no transmission service only periodically checks done myself. I read an article a week ago about changing tranny fluid and man am I ever over do. Then I think of the old saying "if it ain't broke" well you know the rest. However my gut is saying you've had many years of impeccable use out of this truck DON'T push it!! Heck this truck had to have been built on a Wednesday because it has been remarkably reliable and free from any major components needing replaced. Aside from tranny. Other than regular oil changes coolant changes and 3 o2 sensors and I also replaced all 8 coil packs last year which brought the v8 back to life, that's it. So needless to say I got a good one, but back to my main question. The transmission that is in the truck now I've been able to verify is an a340e. Does anyone know where the refill plug is located if indeed it has one. Thanks for reading and maybe someone can help me locate this thing

2. Jan 5, 2021 at 11:52 AM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    No fill plug just the drain. You refill through the dipstick tube.

3. Jan 5, 2021 at 12:10 PM
    My2cents

My2cents [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2001 tundra sr5 v8
    Thanks I appreciate your reply. I'm in the process of changing the fluid. I'm not doing a power flush just a flush and refill till all old fluid has been flushed out. Any pointers you have for this procedure will be greatly accepted. Otherwise have a good afternoon

4. Jan 5, 2021 at 12:34 PM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    I've just drained it into a measured container, added back the same amount, and then checked the level after running it up to temp.

5. Jan 5, 2021 at 2:22 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Use DEX/Merc by Valvoline from Wallace Wurrld. Cost about $14 a gallon. Buy 3 gallons.

Each drain (just like an oil change) drops about 4 to 4.5 quarts. Do one drain and fill every couple weeks.

Once you feel good about it, you can do the pump drain and fill from the radiator hose cooler location where you pump a quart and fill a quart (at dip stick) until about 12 quarts go by and your fluid runs clear.

Sounds like your truck has held up pretty well like mine since new in 2002. I haven’t had to change the tranny yet with 170k miles. It has been serviced regularly in 30-40 intervals, though.

6. Jan 5, 2021 at 2:25 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Suck and fill your Power Steering Fluid with a turkey baster. It uses the same DEX/Merc. Takes about 1/2 quart. Might need a few to get it back to Ruby Red.

pm07 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top