1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer brake fix

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by jeremyd, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Jan 11, 2018 at 5:57 PM
    jeremyd

jeremyd [OP] 2014 Crewmax SR5

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4X4
    ProComp 7" 35/12.50/18 -11
    Just wanted to share what I discovered and how I fixed it. We were heading back from a recent trip approx 6 hours from our home and as I pulled into the gas station I knew the trailer brakes were not working, luckily the trailer only weighs 2600 pounds. I continued the trip home and started troubleshooting. I soon discovered that a crimp connector had failed ! The crimp connectors are covered by the black rubber boots. The 2 wires are coming straight from the brake hub. I soldered it back together and all is good. Hopefully this might help someone in the future. I included a pic.IMG_1502.jpg

Pudge and ColoradoTJ like this.
  2. Jan 11, 2018 at 7:22 PM
    Mr Swervlin

Mr Swervlin "Yes....In Dee Face"

Member:
    O H I O
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky limited TRD Crewmax
    Line X bed liner Window tint AVS in channel vent visors Paint protection wrap Husky front & rear floor liner ESP Crewmax rear storage Console organizer and tray TRD shift knob TRD rear sway bar Thule exporter pro 500 Color matched door handles, side mirrors, and grill surround VLEDs interior/reverse/cargo Driver side grab handle 10" BAmuffler Trd pro headlights
    Good looking out. Definitely want to keep yourself safe. I add silicone around my connectors to keep them sealed

ColoradoTJ and jeremyd[OP] like this.
  3. Jan 11, 2018 at 7:29 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Great post and I'm sure this will save someone ass. I don't tow often but I'll certainly remember this if I do and have issues.

4. Jan 11, 2018 at 8:33 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Good catch on a potential dangerous scenario. Thankfully the Tundra braking system post 12’ is pretty damn excellent. They at least always impressed me.

So food for thought, and this is for down the road:

Like Jeremy had a wiring issue, this took his whole braking system out, and I'm not sure what conditions were he had to tow. Hopefully no white knuckle BS.

This almost exact opposite issue happened to me in the worst possible time it could, and this is my luck. My experiences are usually hard lessons learned for sure.

I was on my way out to Moab UT, left late due to work, but I was much younger and no smarter than now, so I planned on driving all night, arrive in the morning for the first run. That's what monster energy drinks are for right? This was in early April before the Easter Jeep Safari, so weather can be an issue. Sure as stink on shit, Vail Pass going westbound I received an error message on my brake controller. I had a ground someplace on my flatbed, and no brakes. I stopped at the top of the pass to check it out. Of course it was snowing like it was a competition to see how fast Chris could get pissed. This is where my crimps were actually done well...and well that sucks for troubleshooting. So I had to get the wire strippers/cutters out and cut every single wire and test each individual wheel. I found out what brake was grounded and bypassed that magnet and wired everything back up. It was better to have one axle with brakes than none. This was before diesels all had factory installed exhaust brakes (which is pretty flippen nice btw), so going down this pass without brakes, in white out conditions would not have been a good experience.

The point of this is I now remove those factory splices and install something like this:

motorcycle-bullet-connectors.jpg

This also is beneficial when the brake magnet wears out and needs replaced, and that is usually on the roadside when it grounds out. I now carry a spare with me at all times. I would heat shrink the ends for a good, weather resistant connection.

jeremyd[OP] and Watt maker like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top