1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Traction with BFGKO2s

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Cement_Trd, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Dec 13, 2018 at 11:27 PM
    Cement_Trd

Cement_Trd [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD offroad
    Cement color match (dechrome), Tyger Side steps, TRD rear sway bar, Black badging (dechrome), TRD dual exhaust
    Hello new here. But have a question. Has anyone else noticed less traction on wet roads with BFGKO2s vs the oem Michelin tires? The rear end seems to slide around easily ?

2018 tundra 4wd

OR18TRD and Rica25 like this.
  2. Dec 14, 2018 at 12:32 AM
    Cement_Trd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD offroad
    Cement color match (dechrome), Tyger Side steps, TRD rear sway bar, Black badging (dechrome), TRD dual exhaust
    Thank you for the reply. Have you any experience with the toyo opencountry tires? The traction on wet roads really has me concerned I have contemplated on switching my bfg k02s to Toyo open country at2 if they are better.

My truck isnt a road queen. But if its raining and I make any kind of turn on wet asphalt the rear end will slide right around

3. Dec 14, 2018 at 2:19 AM
    pro2amendment

pro2amendment Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra: 5.7L Flex, MGM Gray DC, Offroad pkg
    Bullet liner
    I've had two sets of duratracs on a lifted xterra and loved them in snow. I did need to add weight to the back but did for any tire in that vehicle. Went 4wheeling w a xterra group when I first got em and several Ko diehards switched after seeing the performance in mud.

4. Dec 14, 2018 at 4:08 AM
    BradWils

BradWils New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 1794
    7” Procomp lift Procomp MX2.75 Coilovers SPC UCA’s Plus 3” Rear Shackle 35x12.50 R20 Duratracs Pro Com 20x9 0 offset rims Bora 1.5” wheel spacers OEM LED Headlight and Fog conversion LED interior lights TRD Pro Grill Borla Touring true dual exhaust AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 SI Pro Intake Bushwacker Fender Flairs Colour match door pulls, mirror caps and hood buldge Weather Techs Remote Start Factory Match Tint Toyota Bakflip Tonneau cover Line-X
    I also have K02’s on my 15 1794 and the traction is brutal in the rain. Soon and I hit the long skinny peddle on the right, up comes the traction control light. Thinking of trying a different set but being in Canada I really liked the snow traction. Any suggestions?

5. Dec 14, 2018 at 4:25 AM
    Larmand

Larmand SSEM #6

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 SLIGHTLY MODIFIED SR5 TRD CM 4x4-CEMENT
    As previously stated rain isnt where the KO2s do their best work. When you look at tires tread pattern, the KO2s, dont have straight lined water channels. On the other hand, some other tires wont perform as well in snow/mud or have higher levels of road noise. There are tradeoffs with the tire you choose, and i guess thats why they have so many different options out there, along with different opinions about various tires.

I have KO2s, i love them! I will only run them until they start letting me down. I understand that while making my turns, at very low speeds and usually only from a stop, i have to baby the throttle. Other than that at higher speeds in the rain ive never had an issue. I guess you have to decide what factors you like most about your tire and the main conditions on when and how you drice your truck.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  6. Dec 14, 2018 at 4:49 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    It is the tread pattern. Street tires are better on the street and ATs are better off road. Like others said it is a compromise. MTs are even worse on the road.

7. Dec 14, 2018 at 5:05 AM
    Aron9000

Aron9000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Wet performance is a huge issue for me. Right now I'm running stock Bridgestone Duellers on the steel 18" wheels. When I bought the truck it had Firestone Mud Terrains on the stock 18" steelies that were just absolutely unbearable in terms of noise/vibration. Bought Bridgestone as new takeoff tires, I must say in the wet they have great traction, yet at certain highway speeds they have a stupid shimmy, not too annoying, but I'm thinking about replacing them.

My previous truck was a 2004 Tacoma, 2wd, reg cab, 4 cylinder, 5 speed base model. I ended up spinning it and hitting a wall on the interstate, tires were goodyears with a few miles left. They had a bit of tread, but were not slick yet. Abe Lincolns head wasn't visible yet, so I ran them. If you haven't driven my old truck, the ass end is so light it likes to spin around. Combined with a junk tire even with tread on it, I ended up spinning at 40-50mph on the wet interstate. The tire guys at Discount Tire tried hard to sell me some new tires, saying they were a bit marginal, I told them to rotate them, fuck it, I'll buy tires in a month or two. That was the wrong decision looking back now.

Anyways, is there a good looking all terrain that does great in the wet. BF Goodrich white letter tires were my tire of choice when I ran these existing tires down, I bought a set of 17" TRD wheels just for the fat sidewall, white letters and beefy tread blocks. If they are skittish in the rain, I might consider a better tire. The Bridgestone Duellers are fantastic in the rain FYI, just that they look wimpy in the 255 18" steel wheel size and don't ride worth a crap at interstate speeds.

8. Dec 14, 2018 at 5:10 AM
    Grizzly660

Grizzly660 21 Army Green Sport

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green Sport
    20 inch XD Hoss wheels with Nitto EXO Grappler Wetokole seat covers
    I've been running the Ko2 and I'm not all that impressed. Yes this summer here in ND wet traction is not very good especially on black top portions of road in town compared to cement. Along with ice too not very great. I'm just under 30k miles on them with nice tread depth left however they are staring to weather check between the treads.

Cement_Trd[OP] likes this.
  9. Dec 14, 2018 at 5:13 AM
    tundraforme

tundraforme New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Em
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Off Road Quicksand

I have the KO2s on my SR5 and live in Vancouver BC (aka Raincouver). I think it might be what you are used to? I found the tires to be decent and has been pouring lately - flooded roads/highways.

10. Dec 14, 2018 at 5:31 AM
    airgunner

airgunner New Member

Member:
    N-KY
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC MGM TRD
    When I finally get some new tires for my Tundra, it will probably be Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT. They are one of the only AT tires on the market that has rain groves (well kind of at least). I've had the non XLT version on my 4runner and my last truck so I've seen plenty of rain, snow and mud with them. They do very well in rain and snow and about as well as any AT tire does in mud (which means not that great lol). They also have a great tread life. The non-XLT version isn't the sexiest looking tire but the new XLT's look a lot better.

11. Dec 14, 2018 at 5:44 AM
    jeffw6236

jeffw6236 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM CrewMax 4x4
    I’ve been looking at the same thing

12. Dec 14, 2018 at 6:17 AM
    KnuckleHD

KnuckleHD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CM Limited- Cement
    I’ve run KO2s for a while and haven’t had any issues with performance in the rain. The one thing I have noticed is that the tires wear unevenly if not rotated properly. On my last set I started to notice some slipping on acceleration with turns. Rotated the tires and they were like new again.

13. Dec 14, 2018 at 11:24 AM
    TacoWuzzaTurd

TacoWuzzaTurd Loving my Tundra

Member:
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 4x4 Crewmax, TRD Offroad
    6112s @1.9", TRD Dual Exhaust, rims, tires, jl audio system
    Duratracs better in all conditions for traction. Some says the sidewalls are weak but I've never had an issue with them on other vehicles. They will be my first choice when oem tires wear out on my 2018 crewmax

Cement_Trd[OP] and Jrharvey02 like this.
  14. Dec 14, 2018 at 11:40 AM
    CaptTyler

CaptTyler Life’s too short to have an ugly boat.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Got the Cooper AT3 XLT and they’re great in wet conditions here in Florida. Between tons of rain and always pulling up slick boat ramps, they’re killer.
    Way better than my old Toyo AT2’s.

15. Dec 14, 2018 at 12:23 PM
    Chief 01

Chief 01 New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2020Tundra Pro Army green
    I have Cooper discover A/T3 LT 265 -70-16 on now,(01 Tundra ext-cab Sr5) impressed at first, had some issues in snow and hydroplaning, even off road. Just ordered Goodyear Duratrac LT 245-75-16, did my homework, also brother has them on his 17 taocma 4door/4wd (on my recommendation)and loves them

Cement_Trd[OP] likes this.
  16. Dec 14, 2018 at 3:42 PM
    Cement_Trd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD offroad
    I only have 5000 miles on mine and compared to the oem Michelins that came from the factory im really dissapointed in the wet traction. I know they look alot more aggressive then oem tires but I would like to have the best of both worlds if I could

17. Dec 14, 2018 at 4:17 PM
    Samoan Thor

Samoan Thor God is technically an alien

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Limited 2014 crewmax 4X4
    Kings F&R, no sway bars
    yea that's the same thing Im hearing, KO's are not the best in the rain or mud but thats understandable its not an MT tire. I might buy a hybrid tire ridge grappler or Toyo RT

18. Dec 15, 2018 at 6:21 AM
    Chief 01

Chief 01 New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2020Tundra Pro Army green
    Goodyear Duratrac, best of both worlds,u won't be disappointed !

19. Dec 15, 2018 at 6:07 PM
    MGM

MGM New Member

Member:
    Being from the PNW where it rains a lot an A/t that handles well on the road is huge and I have read many complaints regarding the KO2’s on wet roads so I have removed them from my list of possible candidates on my truck. I am looking at toyos at2 open country and am also wondering how they handle on wet roads. I have read nothing but positive things about Falken at3w wildpeaks overall.

Products Discussed in

To Top