1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS vs Airing Down

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by BlackRiverGuy, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Jan 9, 2019 at 6:29 AM
    BlackRiverGuy

BlackRiverGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 4x4 Offroad
    In Process ARE color matched Z type cap. Pro Comp 3/1 leveling kit. Nitto Grappler 295 70 R18's
    My question is related to the TPMS system and airing down tires when off -roading. I have a 2019 Tundra, was wondering if any damage or long term effects will cause problems with the TPMS system when off roading for the weekend and running much lower pressures during that time. Airing down is something I have not done yet, but plan on doing for future trips based on all of the positive information available for this topic. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jan 9, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 The Mad Scientist Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum, 2012 Tacoma, 2007 T4R
    Metric shit ton of parts
    Won’t hurt a thing.

15whtrd and Stormtrooper81 like this.
  3. Jan 9, 2019 at 7:20 AM
    Duneflyer

Duneflyer MGM is the light at the end of the tunnel

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Yuma AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 1794 edition Crewmax 4x4
    Nitro 4:88 gear package with locker in rearend, Procomp 6" lift, mid travel arms, with devers on back, Fox 2.5 coilovers
    Been airing down for years... No issues. You just have the nannies barking at you until you air back up .

jberry813 likes this.
  4. Jan 9, 2019 at 7:41 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    It will just be a low pressure light on the dash. You can just reset that with the TPMS button by you’re right knee. And then reset it again once you’ve filled back up to the normal air pressure’s. All it is, is a parameter. If it drops below a certain psi after you set it,the light comes on.

I’d have to look in my manual, but I’m pretty sure you turn the ignition off, hold that button down and turn the ignition back on while holding it for a certain amount of time. There may be a prompt on the dash, I can’t remember exactly.

Ike74 likes this.
  5. Jan 9, 2019 at 10:46 AM
    BlackRiverGuy

BlackRiverGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 4x4 Offroad
    In Process ARE color matched Z type cap. Pro Comp 3/1 leveling kit. Nitto Grappler 295 70 R18's
    Thank you for all of the feedback, I will definitely check on the reset to understand how that works. I didn't think it would be a problem, however there are instances when the wife is driving on some stretches, and I didn't want her freaking once she saw the TPMS light, I can forewarn her and let her know it's nothing to be concerned about.

15whtrd likes this.
  6. Jan 9, 2019 at 9:53 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 The Mad Scientist Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum, 2012 Tacoma, 2007 T4R
    Metric shit ton of parts
    Just me shit posting. But don’t push the button.

If your TPMS is working great, and you air down, a light is expected. But if you reset or recalibrate the TPMS cause you are off-road, and obviously aired down...why the fuck would you calibrate your TPMS as low pressure as standard?

7. Jan 9, 2019 at 10:01 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    In case they get even lower.:notsure: Or if you just can’t stand warning lights. I personally never reset it.

OR18TRD likes this.
  8. Jan 10, 2019 at 5:56 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    Resetting the TPMS at the lower pressure to turn the light off - In case you get an actual flat you will get a warning. If the light stays on all the time and you lose more pressure you might lose a tire also. So it does make some sense to do it.

Sonicbluerider and 15whtrd like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top