1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toytec Boss Lift Install Expirience

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by madsonnj11, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Jun 11, 2018 at 7:57 AM
    madsonnj11

madsonnj11 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra
    Hello,

Just picked up a 03 Tundra this past weekend, as a replacement for my hunting/fun truck. First Toyota, have run chevys for years, but have been very impressed with what I have seen on the first gen tundras for the type of off roading we do hunting.

I found one with 90k miles, meticulously maintained and in great shape. Based upon research here and on other forums, I ordered up a Toytec Boss kit with rear AAL's to remedy the height issues and help make room for some bigger rubber. My first question, as I have found a lot on this for newer gen trucks but not so much the first gen, is there anyone out there with experience installing this system on a first gen? I have done some mild suspension work on trucks in the past, mainly blocks, shackles, tbar cranks o_O and some trimming for tire fitment. I am fairly mechanically inclined and believe I have all of the right tools. From what I have read on Toytec's instruction page, this kit looks fairly bolt up with most intensive part being dismantle and re-assemble of the leaf spring packs.

Any advice on going for the install on my own? I am fairly limited for shop options around, with the only aftermarket shop around being not very high on my list due to quality of work issues in the past.

Any help would be helpful, lots of good information here!

Nick

2. Jun 11, 2018 at 11:40 AM
    Scud

Scud New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2017 1794 Tundra Super White
    Working on it :-)
    Nick, I did the exact same install on my 01 about 2.5 years ago. Install was fairly easy. I also did UCA's and had some trouble with the ball joint on it, but other than that it was straight forward. I also did the CV boot clamp mod. I would look for some info to see if it is needed on an 03. Good luck with install. I did it over 2 days and took my time.

-Mike

3. Jun 27, 2018 at 6:14 PM
    madsonnj11

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra
    Had some real challenge with getting the UCA's dropped low enough, seemed like I was not going to get that last half inch...but slowly we have made progress. Pics to follow when complete.

4. Jun 27, 2018 at 6:38 PM
    Casper421

Casper421 Toyota RidgeTrac driver!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    06 DC
    A few things I would recommend are checking the condition of the lower ball joints, reclamp the cv boots like @Scud mentioned and possibly upgrading the uca’s.

LBJ’s can be an issue with our 1st gens. If there’s any play, replace both with oem asap.

The clamps on your cv boots will most likely loosen from the change in angle and being 15 years old. You’ll probably see some grease fly out after completing the lift. Reclamp after you adjust your c/o’s to the height you want.

The stock UCA’s might pose an issue with alignment or become a weak link down the road. I would recommend Total Choas or Camburg for their uniball design instead of oem ball joint style in SPC.

Good luck with install!

5. Jun 27, 2018 at 6:47 PM
    madsonnj11

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra
    Thanks for the heads up. I did not find any play in the lower ball joints, however will keep an eye on it, along with checking the clamps. After further research, similar to your comments on the UCA's, that will be the next planned upgrade in the short term....even shorter if alignment has troubles.

Products Discussed in

To Top