1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Connected Services Price is insane.

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by The Californian, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Dec 9, 2020 at 11:17 AM
    The Californian

The Californian [OP] Good Vibes Only

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White Tundra TRD Pro Crewmax
    I just got the notification that the free trial for the Toyota Connected Services on my 2020 is expiring. From everything I had been told in the past, I thought it was $8 per month, or $80 per year for the services - turns out it’s that much per service. That makes it $24 per month or $240 per year if you want all three.

- Safety Connect - which is basically Toyota’s version of “OnStar”

- Remote Connect - Which is the app controls for remote start, remote lock/unlock, valet controls, vehicle tracker etc.

- Destination Assist - which to my understanding is just a navigation app.

At this point it seems like it would be cheaper to just replace it with a third party remote start, and do all the other stuff on my cell phone like I already do.

BFE87BF7-FEE7-4282-BE4A-CB6CB16B6FAF.jpg

IsaiahCanada and CAM123 like this.
  2. Dec 9, 2020 at 11:46 AM
    Sephon

Sephon Don't be an American't

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northwest PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black Tundra TRD Pro
    Icon Rebounds w/285/75 BFG KO2’s, Coachbuilder +2
    That's crazy!

Mine expires in a couple weeks, this is really making me consider just the Remote Connect. Or like you said, install an aftermarket.

The Californian[OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 9, 2020 at 11:54 AM
    Speed_dmon

Speed_dmon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro Hulk
    Keep in mind you'll always have remote start from your smart key fob :thumbsup:

cnoyes72, =JSG=, GODZILLA and 7 others like this.
  4. Dec 9, 2020 at 11:54 AM
    BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White Tundra TRD Pro
    I have no idea if Toyota's services are like Sirius or Chrysler's Sirius XM Guardian... but with those, when I let them expire, I usually get a "come back now" offer with a significant discount to sign back up. I just set a reminder to cancel before the rate increases, and let they cycle repeat.

Flyinryank, =JSG=, 2mchfun and 3 others like this.
  5. Dec 9, 2020 at 12:06 PM
    BayRunner

BayRunner I’m here, except when I’m not

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    The safety connect actually came in very handy for the wife and her new Highlander. Had a blowout on the interstate. I was not around but she used the safety connect and had roadside assistance there in 15 minutes

6. Dec 9, 2020 at 5:03 PM
    mcm0455

mcm0455 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum
    Safety Connect likely saved my life this past summer when I had a hyper blood pressure event while I was driving to SLC,UT to pick up a puppy for my son. My hands and arms went numb but I was able to pull off the highway and park at a business center. Siri could not understand my slurred speech and I could not dial my cell phone. The safety connect operator stayed on the line until the ambulance arrived to assist me. +1 for safety connect for sure.

7. Dec 9, 2020 at 5:16 PM
    Catmann1972

Catmann1972 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport
    So glad you are OK...it is worth it just for that piece of mind

8. Dec 9, 2020 at 7:44 PM
    Green Thunder

Green Thunder Smooth in the Cruise

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    I think the FOB will stop working once the Remote Connect service has expired.

I agree those prices are nuts.

KY_Rob likes this.
  9. Dec 9, 2020 at 9:39 PM
    artsr2002

artsr2002 2005 Tundra DC SR5

Member:
    'Yonder
    Vehicle:
    Red-Maroon-Something 05 DC 4.7 4x2
    I just added cellular remote start to my other truck and that service is only about $40/year. Seems like a great deal now. Also, Google Maps is already on my phone and gets updates often. I don't know how it compares to OEM navigation units but I'm sure it gets updated more often.

10. Dec 9, 2020 at 10:31 PM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    Destination Assist is the “real person directions” - like On Star directions before on-screen nav in vehicles was a thing. You call it and then someone gives you turn by turn directions while you are driving...

Your Navigation map updates should be included for three years.

I’ve heard conflicting reports on the remote start... some claim it stops working from the key fob if you don’t renew the app service, but I have a hard time seeing how that would work. The fob remote start works just like the prior factory remote start worked and is entirely working the smart key/lock/unlock system. Other than having my truck “warn me” every night that my doors are unlocked (I’m out in the sticks and on a dead end private road with my house not visible from that road), I’ve never used the app since I set it up.

As for the safety/emergency call thing... I think that’s a bit of a personal choice. Obviously a couple people here have had it be a very important thing for them. For me, I don’t see it being at the top of my priority list... I’ve got an inreach device when out in the woods (which is often out of cell coverage where I’m at anyway, so the safety contact would be useless), and on the road I’ve got AAA for towing and road side and SOS through my phone.

MaxMB, gosolo and TaquitoBandito like this.
  11. Dec 9, 2020 at 10:34 PM
    dittothat

dittothat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
    Glad you’re alright! As an FYI for everyone, just remember repeatedly hitting your iPhone side buttons will automatically call 911. Was playing pandora in my pocket and kept hitting volume up to get it louder.. next thing you know I’m talking with a 911 operator

2mchfun and TelemarkTumalo like this.
  12. Dec 10, 2020 at 4:00 AM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    Damn glad to hear you’re OK. :thumbsup: For Safety Connect.

13. Dec 10, 2020 at 5:28 AM
    PomDad

PomDad we having snacks?

Member:
    First Name:
    Conrad
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Limited
    Wait, is there confirmation on that? Remote start is such a standard feature now a days on key fobs that I can't believe they'd actually try to charge you a subscription for it ON A $50K TRUCK.

MaxMB likes this.
  14. Dec 10, 2020 at 5:31 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    The FOB will continue to work for remote start. It is not tied to the Remote Connect service, which uses the app on your phone. However, I have grown to like the Remote Connect services on the phone, even though the app is a little clunky.

Regarding Safety Connect, I had not considered an actual medical emergency, but was thinking of it just as an emergency button for an accident. I am now on the fence regarding the Safety Connect.

I never see the need for Navigation Assistance, and the Destination Assist is useless. They don't have any better information that I do with the apps on my phone.

One of my questions when I was checking these out was, will Toyota assist in finding a stolen Tundra, using the GPS, if it is stolen, even if no subscription is active? I was finally told Yes, because they might be subject to liability if they didn't. That would also be Obstruction of Justice, if they were easily able to help solve the Grand Theft Auto crime and refused.

2mchfun and RainMan_PNW like this.
  15. Dec 10, 2020 at 6:14 AM
    Green Thunder

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    There was a big thread about this about a year ago. Guys were saying their remote start off the FOB stopped working after their trial period. I’ve never gotten mine to work, but I told Toyota to shut mine trial services off almost immediately.

If your FOB still works and you are 100% sure your services are turned off, then I stand corrected. But a lot of us don’t have that feature.

16. Dec 10, 2020 at 2:46 PM
    The Californian

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I guess I'll find out for sure shortly when I let these features expire. All I do know for a fact, is that I used the key fob to remote start the truck at the dealership before I bought the truck - I was showing the feature to the salesman that didn't know you could do that. When I got home and started playing with everything in the truck, I tried multiple times and could not get the truck to start from the key fob. I'm pretty sure I even started a thread here, or maybe just commented on one. I tried for a few days, and was having trouble getting my Toyota Connected Services to activate as well. I took the truck to the dealership about a week later and they were able to help me get the services activated; and when I got home I tried the remote start from the key fob and it fired right up. Haven't had a problem with it since.

So either I did it right at the dealership, started doing it wrong when I got home, and then miraculously started doing it right again after they activated Toyota Connected Services; or it will stop working when TCS is deactivated.

On another note, when I bought my truck we were looking at Lexus RX350s for my wife, and she was told flat out that the remote start on the key fob would stop working if she didn't pay for their connected services. Lexus and Toyota are one in the same.

17. Dec 10, 2020 at 2:58 PM
    FISHN43

FISHN43 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White TRD Pro
    When I bought my Tundra I initially refused the connected services. I tried using my fob to start it but it wouldn’t work. I called and had my trial connected services activated and low and behold I could use my fob to start my truck. I’m definitely not a techie kinda guy but I would say there is some connection between the Toyota Connected Services and using the fob to start your vehicle.....

With that said though we haven’t paid for the Connected Services on my wife’s 2018 Camry in almost two years and I went out today and tried using the fob to start it.....well, it worked!
    :confused::thumbsup:

18. Dec 10, 2020 at 3:50 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Guys, it's the new Big Tech business model: Give them something they can't live without, then gouge the everlivin' hell out of them to keep it. :D

2mchfun, Jernik and jshsltr80 like this.
  19. Dec 10, 2020 at 4:08 PM
    Henry2019

Henry2019 N/A

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 CM CEMENT GREY
    3/1 Lift Kit 20X9 Fuel Assaults +1 295/60/R20 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W
    Are you sure about that?

20. Dec 10, 2020 at 4:35 PM
    7dgoat

7dgoat Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 army green TRD PRO
    I've never had any connected services. I never turned them on or paid for anything. My phone is too old to even get the app. I've had my truck for over a year and the remote start has always worked from my key fob. I use it almost every day.

21. Dec 10, 2020 at 4:49 PM
    MentalBill

MentalBill Mental in every state.

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Limited and 2018 Honda Civic
    I can understand that some people feel the need for these options. BUT!!!! Not for me.
    I also said would never buy an automatic transition. Now I own a truck that only comes in auto.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  22. Dec 10, 2020 at 5:49 PM
    Henry2019

Henry2019 N/A

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 CM CEMENT GREY
    3/1 Lift Kit 20X9 Fuel Assaults +1 295/60/R20 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W
    Well thats a sign of relief for me.

23. Dec 10, 2020 at 5:57 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    remote start should still work with FOB. remote connect is just the extra GSM /gps service they offer similar to if you install yourself a remote start with GSM module. if you stop paying for GSM you lose the "remote" part of the start but you can still start your truck "local" with FOB. Also you can always add it back later on if you wish. btw cost for a GSM/GPS module is around $70 a year so toyota prices are on par.

24. Dec 10, 2020 at 6:23 PM
    The Californian

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I would think they would be on par if it was $80 for all three services, but it's $80 for each one - then if you want to be able to use the GSM module for WIFI in the truck, it's an additional $20 per month.

25. Dec 10, 2020 at 7:21 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    remember for aftermarket GPS/GSM module you only get remote connect for $70 a year, no safety connect, no assist.
    toyota offers it for $80 a year (i just got the offer in the mail as well, $8 a month or 12 months for $80) so about the same.
    yes not cheap but this is where companies go, a la carte type of services..same for TV, phone and now cars..just another way to make $$ :D

26. Dec 11, 2020 at 8:29 AM
    DIYDad

DIYDad New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra 1794

I don't think that is true. I never activated the free trial of the remote connect, but my FOB works just fine.

Cleome likes this.
  27. Dec 11, 2020 at 8:59 AM
    Green Thunder

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    I don't think you have to technically activate your free trial, it just starts. So yours is probably working b/c your trial is still in effect. Others have reported here that it did work until after their service ended.

It is confusing for sure...

28. Dec 11, 2020 at 12:43 PM
    DIYDad

DIYDad New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra 1794

Perhaps. How long is the trial? I've had my truck since the end of Feb.

29. Dec 11, 2020 at 12:50 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Not bad if you ask me. Can you make calls with this service using satellites like OnStar?

I would purchase this service over a cable service any day of the week.

30. Dec 11, 2020 at 1:14 PM
    knoxville36

knoxville36 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation w/3.0 Duramax
    OnStar is $34.95 or $420 per year for same thing so it could get worse....

ColoradoTJ likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top