1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Care Warranty

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by cfred70, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Dec 5, 2017 at 6:19 PM
    cfred70

cfred70 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    Extang Solid Fold 2.0, 20% Tint, Black Emblem Overlays
    Anyone ever buy this with their truck purchase? They are really pushing this sale, and funny how the price started at $15 dollars a month for 5 years and we were down to $4 by the time I left. Very little information online when researching it. Their selling point are all oil changes for 5 years, and the 3 year and 5 year maintenance is covered as well, which I'm not sure what all that covers, as I'm still researching online. Just wondered if anyone else went this route. My first thought, was toyota covers the first 2 years, so technically this is a 3 year package, but if you factor in oil changes for those 3 years, 2x a year with tire rotations, you're probably looking at 50-75 a pop, so roughly 150 a year just in that alone, just wasn't sure if their was a catch....seemed too good to be true.

2. Dec 5, 2017 at 7:15 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    I got it. Don’t remember what I paid but I think it’s worthless. They old me oil changes every 5k miles and I found out that it’s only every 10k miles!!! If you do the math that’s only 3 oil changes after your free 2 years. It’s a ripoff. That’s why they push it is because they make money off it. I wouldn’t get it again.

Toyota10s, TheBeast and ColoradoTJ like this.
  3. Dec 5, 2017 at 7:17 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    5k oil changes are for FFV vehicles. You can still get (I would) the basic tore rotation, or get them to change it to 5k for oil and tires. Personally, I have my oil changed with synthetic, and tires rotated every 5k

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  4. Dec 5, 2017 at 10:22 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    if they sell it, they are making money :) read the fine prints

Zero One Actual likes this.
  5. Dec 6, 2017 at 2:35 AM
    Toyota10s

Toyota10s New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chace
    West Coast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Crewmax limited Tundra
    Bone stock.
    I normally don't buy anything from the dealer....just barely enough to get a vehicle :)

Maintenance plans, warranty, etc they are trying to blur the lines. I believe the previous posts are accurate. Once you get servicing the vehicle the service teams will try and sell other plans. They are better, but if you get new tires, will they even honor rotations at that point? I get Costco tire and they put helium in the tires and therefore the dealer won't touch them. I use the sale service adviser every time and he usually tried to get me their best prices on services.
    BTW, if you're financing that vehicle, you'll pay interest charges on that and anything else on the loan. I'd call around to other dealers, and not necessarily once close by. I had a Honda at once point and bought a Honda service warranty 3000 miles away and it was honored by my local dealer. It was about $1020 for a 5-year contract and when I sell it I can ask for a refund of unused time left on contract, which I did, and got a check back from the dealer who sold it. Worked well.

6. Dec 6, 2017 at 3:24 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    If you are financing through the dealer they are playing a game with lower rate financing to drop the monthly rate on warranty. When I bought my last Tacoma they tried pulling that crap on me. I originally agreed to a rate and when they could not get me to buy the warranty they came up with a different rate to lower the overall payment. The finance dude said "look now the warranty is only $10/month". When I looked at the paperwork all he did was get me a lower rate. I asked if he would have offered the new rate without warranty. You can guess his answer. I told him that I don't play the monthly payment game and the deal was off. Sales director got involved and was pissed. In the end I got the lower interest and no warranty. Finance dudes are "tricky dicks"

757TUNDRA and Slayer like this.
  7. Dec 6, 2017 at 7:11 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Did they play the game with you guys, where they brought you an iPad while you were waiting? They ask you to fill out some stuff on there about your driving habits. I hadn’t seen this one before, but it turned out that it generates a “personalized” list of all the warranty / maintenance items you need to buy.
    I didn’t buy any of it, but good lord what a stupid selling tool. That was pretty much the only thing that aggravated me during the process. I hate that kind of bullshit.

One thing I try to tell everyone that’s buying a vehicle: The sales guy isn’t really the sales guy. It’s the finance manager. They are the ones you really have to pay attention to. You’d think the finance managers are accountants or something, but they’re not. One of my coworkers used to be a mechanic at a dealership. He told me the finance guys are the former top salesmen at the dealerships. It’s actually a promotion from the sales department to the finance department.

That’s the place where you’re most likely to get screwed. The salesman actually doesn’t have anything to sell you. Nowadays, we can get the price done before we set foot in the dealership. There’s really not much he can do to affect your sale. His job is to get you into the finance department. At that point, you already have a lot of time and emotion invested. You’ve already identified the truck as “your truck”, you’re thinking you just need to get through the paperwork so you can get “your keys”.

Once they have you in that mindset, you’re gonna be way more susceptible to the real sales pitch. I basically just try to detach myself once I’m in there. My attitude is give me a fair deal. I’m not going to beat you to death over the selling price. I know I can get you lower, but I’m ok with you making some money. Just don’t waste my time with the game.

I also always have pre-approval from my own bank before I even set foot at the lot. If they can beat it, great. If not, then at least I didn’t have to deal with another round of negotiations, where they offer me some stupid rate out of the gate.

8. Dec 6, 2017 at 8:15 AM
    DexterL

DexterL New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 lunar rock TRD pro Seqouia
    I always get the platinum plan when i trade in- My 07 had a few very expensive items fritz out right after warranty. On my 14 i had to use the platinum coverage on a few small things. I like that when you trade it in, they pro rate the miles.

9. Dec 6, 2017 at 8:59 AM
    TruckLife900

TruckLife900 I'd rather B hunting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 White SR5

10. Dec 6, 2017 at 11:06 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    yep, I was prepared for hard sell on extras when I bought my Tundra. There was nothing except trying to tack on a $599 dealer fee that he could not tell what it was for. First finance manager I talked said it got me oil changes for 100k but the second said that is not it and just something we charge everybody. I said not me. When I bought my Tacoma I told the finance manager to start his sales spin and will just turn my back to him and be quick because I am not patient. Don't believe me then just call home and ask my wife.

Products Discussed in

To Top