1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota AT2 Extreme? The Good the bad the ugly?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Rngr188, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Mar 27, 2018 at 7:15 PM
    Rngr188

Rngr188 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison AR
    Vehicle:
    17 Silver Sky Limited CM 4x4 TRD
    After many questions and research I think I've decided on 285/65/r18 on stock TRD wheels with stock TRD OR suspension. Truck is mainly a DD with some occasional Ozark backroad driving which consists of gravel, hard rock, and some clay. We also get ice/sleet and some snow. I won't offroad too much but want a capable tire that will last and perform as well. For those that run these tires give me the pros and cons. I've considered Ridge Grapplers, Trail Grapplers, and Toyo RT. With that said the RG doesn't have enough long term reviews, the TG is too aggressive for my needs, and the RT supposedly sucks in ice/snow. Opinions please. Thanks.

2. Mar 28, 2018 at 8:48 AM
    Watt maker

Watt maker Keepin' the lights on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronald
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Tundra DC Cement
    1 of 255
    I ran that exact size and tire on a 2012 f150 I once owned. Here’s my pros and cons.

Pros;
    The AT2’s have very little runout and balanced very easy. They have been the most perfectly balanced tire I have ever owned. Two of the tires didn’t require any weight at all, the other 3 only required about 2oz. the spare required about 4oz (steel wheel). They were very smooth on and off-road. They are a load range E tire which helped a lot when towing heavy. They looked great and I received several compliments on them. They had good traction on every surface that I drove them on, dry pavement, rain, snow, ice, gravel, dirt, mud. I racked up about 15k miles on them before I traded in that truck because it was basically a lemon and we just couldn’t trust it. The tires had very little wear for 15k miles and I feel they could’ve easily gone 50-60k before needing replacement.

Cons;
    They had a high pitched hum/howl to them over 50 mph. They definitely were louder than I thought they would be since the non extreme version is fairly silent. The faster I went the louder the hum/howl would get. They are heavy because they are a load range E tire. They seemed to really hurt the mpg but I couldn’t tell for sure because I was having so many other problems with that truck it could’ve been the result from something else.

Overall, I would probably run them again if I came into a deal on them. FWIW, I really like the RG’s on my Tundra and 4runner. I don’t have many miles on the RG’s on my Tundra but I do have about 25k on the RG’s on my 4runner and they have been great. Excellent on every terrain and they are also quiet. They are about 30-40% worn down, so I’m guessing I’ll get about 50k out of them. I usually replace tires a little early because I don’t like riding with bald tires.

Thesquatchy1 likes this.
  3. Apr 1, 2018 at 2:35 PM
    Thesquatchy1

Thesquatchy1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Georgetown, KY
    Vehicle:
    2018 cement SR5 4x4 5.7
    That's good info thanks

Watt maker likes this.
  4. Apr 1, 2018 at 4:11 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast El CreepO

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    love my AT2 xtreme. I had the R/T before and I think they are not as loud. I get about the same MPG as 33"s R/T but with 35"s AT2 now (295/70). They also perform better in the snow than the R/T imo.
    You can't go wrong with Toyos.

Watt maker likes this.
  5. Apr 1, 2018 at 4:20 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

jaredmillerdvm New Member

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CM SR5 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Blacked out badges, mirrors and door handles. Predator Step Bars, Skid Plate with Predator Step, LineX bedliner, Katskinz leather seats with seat warmers, Remote start. Tinted windows. Rough Country 2.5in leveling kit, 295/70/18 Toyo Open Country AT2 Extremes, Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover, Swing Case Tool Boxes. Recon Smoked LED tail lights and smoked vinyl wrapped 3rd break light. LED interior lightening, reverse lights and 3rd break lights. 8" BAMuffler. Powder coated rear bumpers.
    I run the toyo at2 extreme 295/70/18 on stock wheels. They may be slightly louder than the stock tires but not by much. I have only had them about 1000 miles but so far so good. They look awesome too! Haven’t tried them in snow but on wet roads they handle well!

6. Apr 1, 2018 at 4:53 PM
    Rngr188

Rngr188 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison AR
    Vehicle:
    Are you on stock suspension?

7. Apr 1, 2018 at 5:02 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out badges, mirrors and door handles. Predator Step Bars, Skid Plate with Predator Step, LineX bedliner, Katskinz leather seats with seat warmers, Remote start. Tinted windows. Rough Country 2.5in leveling kit, 295/70/18 Toyo Open Country AT2 Extremes, Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover, Swing Case Tool Boxes. Recon Smoked LED tail lights and smoked vinyl wrapped 3rd break light. LED interior lightening, reverse lights and 3rd break lights. 8" BAMuffler. Powder coated rear bumpers.
    I added a 2.5 in leveling kit but didn’t change anything else

8. Apr 1, 2018 at 5:06 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast El CreepO

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    if I were you, get the 295/70/18. you will need a 2" lift front though (can be done on the cheap with spacers or upgraded to coil overs). Minor trimmings on plastics mostly.

jaredmillerdvm likes this.
  9. Apr 1, 2018 at 5:13 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    this is exactly what I did but did not use spacers and still no rubbing but did have to trim some plastic.

10. May 13, 2018 at 3:38 PM
    Rngr188

Rngr188 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison AR
    Vehicle:
    Thanks to the responses I'm thinking 295/70 AT2 Extreme on my stock OR wheels. As soon as I can find some 6112's in stock I'd like to do the 1.9" setting with a shim on each side. Still got a few miles left on the factory Michelins so by late summer the shocks will hopefully be available and I can get some tires.

Products Discussed in

To Top