1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing with your TRD Pro? The good, the bad, the ugly (if there is any).

Discussion in '2.5 Gen TRD Pro (2014-2021)' started by AircareTundra, May 6, 2020.

1. May 6, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    AircareTundra

AircareTundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Good Evening All,

On the fence about biting the bullet and getting a TRD Pro or a Limited with the TRD Off road package.

Have a travel trailer that weighs in between 5 and 6000 pounds.

Have a weight distributing hitch (Equalizer).

Looking to get rid of my 2015 Silverado 1500 with 96K miles. Seemed to tow fine, especially after putting on airbags.

I did weigh the truck and travel trailer once at the scales and although not always traveling with all 3 dogs, and my wife and two young adult sons........I was a few hundred pounds over my GVWR for the Silverado.

Not normally towing with all of us together though and not really towing the camper often (5-6 times a year).

How many of y'all have towed with the TRD Pro?

Any problems? Did you have to put airbags on? Is the truck stable? Feel like you would be in control if you have to slam on the brakes?

Really......really like the way these TRD Pro's look but want to know about towing with it before deciding which way to go.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

JT

2. May 6, 2020 at 6:32 PM
    Black_Badger

Black_Badger New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum
    Toyota tonneau Nfab running boards Tinted
    Only thing I’d have to say is you’ll probably be nose high without bags. These trucks sit extremely leveled

3. May 6, 2020 at 8:27 PM
    alpinepro4

alpinepro4 What is your MPG Today!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog lights, ARE CX Series Topper, Alcan Springs , DAP Tune, Coach Builder +1 Shackles, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED bulbs, HR LED interior bulbs. General Grabber ATX 275/70/R18
    Weak spot is the leaf springs, they are soft and causes the truck to sag. I fixed the problem with a Alcan custom leaf pack and pair of CB +1 shackles. Fixed the problem. I have a thread TRD Pro Squatting I go into detail on what I did.

4. May 6, 2020 at 9:16 PM
    JH5370

JH5370 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DC TRD PRO
    I have towed between 5-6000 pounds a few times with my trd pro and it sags a little, but a weight distribution hitch would help. If I was going to do it a lot I would get some lift shackles, air bags or maybe different leaf springs. As far as towing goes, there is still plenty of power when pulling that much weight.

Pics for reference
    EB265C2E-938D-4D7C-A4CB-ACAE71C9A63A.jpg
    39C4E338-C64A-49B2-A4F2-0C0A8C00B33C.jpg

AircareTundra[OP] likes this.
  5. May 6, 2020 at 10:47 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    Just confirming what has been said. I keep a lot of gear in my truck and tow my boat and trailer now and then. I have custom Alcan springs and 2” CB shackles. No squat and the ride is silky smooth.
    As far as pulling and braking you won’t have any problem.

6. May 6, 2020 at 10:50 PM
    Tundyfundy

Tundyfundy Petunia The Tundra, and her sidekick Colbie

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey DC SR5 4x4 2016
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    Do you feel like the springs softened the ride? I regularly tow 6-7500 lbs and I think the OEM are shot.

7. May 7, 2020 at 3:25 AM
    Bad Cow

Bad Cow GOD Bless The USA

Member:
    Georgia USA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO - SUPER WHITE
    Leather Steering Wheel, +1.5" Shackles
    The TRD PRO was not exactly designed for towing, more for off-road. Therefore it does have a relatively level stance. All I would suggest is some REAR assistance via shackles, helper springs, or airbags. Other than that, the PRO has ZERO issues towing pretty much anything. The TOW HAUL button will transform your daily driver into a friggin Monster. Just be aware of the fuel consumption. She is very thirsty when pulling a load.

avssuc, JH5370, gosolo and 1 other person like this.
  8. May 7, 2020 at 3:31 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    Just remember air bags will put more total weight on your rear axle. But you have a weight distribution hitch so that will help. Check payload vs tongue weight of your trailer.

9. May 7, 2020 at 3:32 AM
    YeeYeeTundra

YeeYeeTundra Earl Dibbles III incarnate

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 Quicksand CrewMax Limited TRD
    Extang tri-fold tonneau cover, havoc hs2 steps, A1 tow mirrors, TRD RSB, weathertech mats, 24' Puma BH travel trailer, Yeti 75, LineX
    Screenshot_20200507-062501.jpg
    There's 6,000# (actually a little over 6k) *without the bars on my WDH.

avssuc and AircareTundra[OP] like this.
  10. May 7, 2020 at 6:06 AM
    AircareTundra

AircareTundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Thank you all for the feedback so far.

Trust me.....I'd love to pull the trigger on that TRD Pro.....if for nothing more than looks.

But unless fixing to do some serious off roading it almost seems like one would be fine with any of the other trims with the TRD Off road set up.

For those that have towed with either the standard crew cab 4x4 without the TRD Off road set up compared to those with it.......any pros/cons?

Is one set up better than the other?

Seems like after looking at comparison between the TRD Pro and the others after what y'all have mentioned......that the suspension and such is softer for the heavy off road stuff one can do with the PRO if they so choose.

Is that regular TRD Offroad package set up to do the same.....albeit with the Bilstiens vs the Fox reservoirs etc...etc...?

Thanks again for the feedback!!

Stay safe out there!!

JT

avssuc and Bad Cow like this.
  11. May 7, 2020 at 6:21 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    I have the TRD OR package and it tows great. Check out the towing forum here....there is a thread called what do you tow that will show you a ton of examples of trucks and trailers. I think I would skip the PRO if you are towing a lot.

12. May 7, 2020 at 6:36 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    If you are buying the truck to mostly tow, get an sr5 or limited for less and save that money for gas. Pro doesn’t have anything Over the others that directly helps towing.

13. May 7, 2020 at 6:40 AM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    With the custom springs, the ride is almost as smooth as when new, and I have a slight (1 1/2”) rake. This is pretty amazing when you consider the I carry approximately 1,100 lbs static load.

14. May 9, 2020 at 5:36 AM
    rj1022

rj1022 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Pro Crewmax MGM
    I haven’t towed much with my Pro but a while back used to tow a 24ft Haulmark enclosed steel frame trailer with a 2010 rock warrior (it was fully insulated trailer & with the race car, spares etc. it was probably 8-9k lbs?). It did it with no problem lol.

15. Jun 26, 2020 at 2:50 PM
    hydraulicaust

hydraulicaust New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro Crewmax
    I'm about to test the limits on mine. The hauls will be short, on relatively flat terrain, for about 5mi round trip but I'm interested in a spring upgrade. my heavy duty tandem axle trailer loaded with my tractor is gonna be around 10k lbs. A brake controller is on order, curious if anyone has really pushed the limit with their pro's. a heavy load of posts and concrete on my trailer (around 7k lbs total) drops the rear end pretty dramatically. Power and transmission wise it feels more than capable, just trying to avoid suspension damage.

16. Jun 29, 2020 at 3:44 PM
    Bad Cow

Member:
    Georgia USA
    Vehicle:
    I was having a hard time looking at how low the rear of my truck sagged while towing my boat. Then I broke down and purchased +1.5" shackles, and wow what a difference that made. Now my PRO sits with a nice rake while not towing, and while towing it's perfect. This truck runs down the road pulling this 20 FT Bay Boat like it's not even back there. Very pleased.

Shackles-1 (1).jpg

Attached Files:

17. Jul 1, 2020 at 7:19 AM
    No Limit

No Limit New Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD PRO 4” Readylift
    I tow my 20' River boat that weighs 6500 lbs with trailer, fully loaded with gear and 74 gals of fuel on board with no problem...in tow haul you barely notice it's back there unless you look at your fuel economy screen lol.
    I have a 4" Readylift and +2" coachbuilder shackles also added on the rear to maintain stock +1" rake, I also added Firestone airbags and run 35 lbs in them when towing to keep it at my normal ride height. IMG_4745.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    AircareTundra[OP], JH5370 and Bad Cow like this.
  18. Jul 1, 2020 at 7:28 AM
    Bad Cow

Member:
    Georgia USA
    Vehicle:
    Nice looking rig.

19. Jul 1, 2020 at 7:41 AM
    No Limit

No Limit New Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD PRO 4” Readylift
    Yours looks very cool as well. I would like to Bass fish down there one day.

Bad Cow[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jul 1, 2020 at 8:05 AM
    Bad Cow

Member:
    Georgia USA
    Vehicle:
    We Bass fish at Lake Eufaula quite often. That's where that photo was taken. That lake has some HUGE largemouth bass. But our favorite is Inshore Saltwater Fishing at Apalachicola Bay Florida. Great fishery for Redfish, Trout, Flounder, and Triple Tail. Have hooked a few very large Tarpon also, wow what a fight that was. Friggin 100 LB Tarpon on light tackle, oh yea :thumbsup:.

21. Jul 20, 2020 at 8:54 PM
    t-rey1

t-rey1 New Member

Member:
  22. Jul 21, 2020 at 1:36 PM
    JH5370

JH5370 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DC TRD PRO
    I have read some posts on this in the towing section. I have heard good things but I would imagine this is going to stiffen up the ride. I think for a daily you'd be better off with either shackles or some better leaf springs. I know there are some shops that can re-arch your spring and add leafs as necessary to fit your application. I am hoping to use one of these options soon. My truck is starting to lean and my springs are just about flat with an empty bed...

23. Mar 14, 2022 at 8:17 PM
    avssuc

avssuc Efilnikufesin

Member:
    Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro LR
    Got a pic of the rake while not under load? Great looking rig!

Bad Cow[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Mar 15, 2022 at 3:31 AM
    Bad Cow

Member:
    Georgia USA
    Vehicle:
    I'm the kind of guy that rarely ever performs Mods on my truck, I like them bone stock for the most part. But my PRO sagged so much when towing the boat that something had to be done. Finally, after looking at so many other options out there, I went with + 1.5" shackles and man it was the perfect solution. When not towing, can't tell any difference in ride quality. But how sweet it is not to have the ass dragging when I hook up my boat or utility trailer.

Here are the before and after pics of the stance. Not a big deal, but makes a huge difference. Personally I much prefer the back end to be UP more than the front. It's a pickup truck, it needs that rake for towing and payload.

BEFORE SHACKLES:
    Before Shackles 1.jpg

AFTER SHACKLES:
    After Shackles 2 (2).jpg

BIGGER, HEAVIER BOAT, NO SAG:
    IMG_7467(Edited).jpg

25. Mar 19, 2022 at 4:33 AM
    racer01

racer01 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Aiken South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    23' TRD Pro
    295/70-18 Nitto Recon Grappler, RB 20 running boards
    Went from 2015 2wd TRD off road pkg to 21' TRD Pro and first towing was a few weeks ago. Was quite surprised to see how much the rear squatted compared to the 2015. Adjustable headlights worked well to keep my from blinding others and she towed like expected but might have to add some Coachbuilder +2 shackles to give her some room to squat. TRD Pro exhaust is definitely more "in your face" under constant load but didn't bother me at all. Unfortunately my tow truck sounds way better than my track car!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top