1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing question part 2

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by kameleon, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Jul 30, 2018 at 1:27 PM
    kameleon

kameleon [OP] New Member

Member:
    Jackson, MS
    Vehicle:
    2015 Crewmax Limited 5.7 MGM
    I am looking at trailers to go behind my 2012 double cab w/ 4.6L (it has the towing package and I got the P3 brake controller). The trailer will primarily be used to haul my '85 Toyota MR2 around but will also pull duty of general hauling stuff around as friends need it. (on a side note, doesn't everyone find a bunch of friends they haven't talked to in YEARS when you get a truck AND trailer?) I am leaning heavily towards an enclosed trailer for safety of the cargo. So far I've found a 20ft with dual 5200lb axles (and brakes on both axles) that weighs around 3200lb dry. Add in the 2100lb car and some tools and I am at 6000lb. According to my maths I should be able to tow up to around 9000lb or so. With that I am assuming this should be fine but I'll need a weight distributing hitch correct? Any input on this setup? I will be traveling to New Jersey with this rig in a few months for a car meet and need to make sure it will be safe. So I am asking the wisdom here for some input.

2. Jul 30, 2018 at 2:12 PM
    AmateurWheels

AmateurWheels New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport DC, 2018 Tundra TRD Sport CMAX, 2016 4Runner TRD PRO
    Don't forget to take frontal area of trailer into your calculation. For example a 9k boat will pull differently than a 9k enclosed trailer with a flat front. Personally after towing with my 5.7 I wouldn't want to use a 4.6 for that setup for that long of distance, MS>NJ.

3. Jul 30, 2018 at 5:40 PM
    kameleon

kameleon [OP] New Member

Member:
    Jackson, MS
    Vehicle:
    2015 Crewmax Limited 5.7 MGM
    It won't be a flat nose "brick" as I am looking at ones with the v-nose. Thanks for the input.

Products Discussed in

To Top