1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing First Travel Trailer

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Newtonfb, Aug 13, 2022.

1. Aug 13, 2022 at 11:08 AM
    Newtonfb

Newtonfb [OP] New Member

Member:
    Recently got my first truck, SR5 CrewMax 4x4 Sonic Red. Love it so far. Got it for a bunch of reasons but my two kids are small and we are going to finally move from Tent camping to a camper. I've been looking at the Jayco Jay Flight SLX 8 264BH. From what I gather, I should be more than fine with the Tundra but I want to make sure I'm not white knuckling.

Quick specs...
    29ft long
    Hitch Weight: 475
    Dry Weight: 4690
    Gross Weight: 6000

I understand I'll need a WDH. Will I need airbags installed also? Should I go with a smaller trailer?

Thanks for the advice

2. Aug 13, 2022 at 11:10 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Welcome to the group, and congrats on the truck! For towing info I would highly suggest you start here. -> https://www.tundras.com/threads/tow-ratings-guide-how-to-be-safe.39211/#post-2596490

3. Aug 13, 2022 at 3:32 PM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    I think you are just fine with that trailer.

However, that tongue weight is not realistic. Once you add batteries and propane to the tongue and load the trailer up, I would expect no less than 750 lbs, probably more.

So buy the correct WDH. Dont buy one for 5-600 lb tongue, I would get one for 1000 lbs.

If you have the correct weight wdh and its set up properly, you do not need air bags. Only use air bags if you intend to also load up the bed. Use the air bags to get the truck with the full bed back up to normal height and then hook up the trailer with the wdh.

The trucks suspension will compress a bit even with the wdh. This is normal and how its supposed to work. Trying to use the airbags to remove this compression is 100% the wrong approach.

Roctane84 likes this.
  4. Aug 13, 2022 at 5:32 PM
    Newtonfb

Newtonfb [OP] New Member

Member:
    Great thank you. Most if not all places we go have water hookups so the tanks will mostly never get used so that will save on weight. Thanks for WDH advice, do you recommend a certain one?

5. Aug 13, 2022 at 8:01 PM
    Knifeguy

Knifeguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    22 SR5 4x4 Crew-Max Short bed
    I've been really impressed with my blue ox sway pro.

Newtonfb[OP] likes this.
  6. Aug 13, 2022 at 8:56 PM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    "Daddy, I have to go to the bathroom." Take water. You'll need a few gallons.

7. Aug 13, 2022 at 9:50 PM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    I picked up an Equal-i-zer off Craigslist for 1/2 the price of new. Its been good, no complaints, although its the only wdh ive owned.

8. Aug 13, 2022 at 11:43 PM
    blenton

blenton New Member

Member:
    I’ve been very happy with my Andersen WDH. It uses chains instead of torsion bars and is very simple to setup and adjust. It also makes for a much better ride, IMO - the best WD hitch I’ve used. I use it on a rig weighing closer to 6k dry and I have zero complaints. No sway and very little if any porpoising. With the torsion bar setups, when you get them tight enough to eliminate sway and restore some weight to the front of the truck, it feels a little like you have no suspension travel left in the rear unless you have a really heavy trailer with a lot of tongue weight. But then you porpoise over large dips and bumps. But that’s just my experience.

https://andersenhitches.com/product/weight-distribution-hitch/

jproy12 and Newtonfb[OP] like this.
  9. Aug 14, 2022 at 9:00 AM
    DJyrjn

DJyrjn New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    In term of towing capacity, you will be fine!

The tongue weight will vary quite a bit depending on how your tanks are loaded. I have a 48 gallon fresh water tank in the front and 80 gallons for the waste water tanks in the rear of the trailer. I sometimes carry a full tank of fresh water when I expect to be late to get to the campsite and I can feel a significant difference in how the truck pulls with the FW tank full vs empty. I have the Equalizer E2 and I attribute the difference to big changes in the tongue weight with and without the fresh tank full (about 450 lbs). The Weigh Safe True Tow WDH is similar to the E2, however has a additional WD adjustment based on the actual loaded tongue weight.

You can look up videos on Youtube. Also, go with the trunnion style WDH over the round bar or chain style ones. If you are investing in a WDH, I would suggest you go with the WeighSafe over the Equalizer. Price wise, they are similar.

10. Aug 19, 2022 at 9:41 AM
    Newtonfb

Newtonfb [OP] New Member

Member:
    I found a trailer I'm going to purchase. Its about 2 hours away. Planning to grab it in couple days. I havent purchased a WDH yet as I was still researching. My question is, should I run to Harbor Freight or Camping World quick and buy one there or will it be fine just towing home and then getting one after? The camper and truck will all be unloaded. Specs say its 4600 dry and 510 tongue weight unloaded.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  11. Aug 19, 2022 at 9:56 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    You CAN tow that trailer home with no WDH, it’s just not recommended to do so. The tongue weight will add rear axle weight, but it will subtract front axle weight making the steering feel different. You also won’t have sway control. If you’re a pro tower and take it easy on the speed, you could probably make the trip safely. If you pick up a hitch, you will have to install it on the trailer and set it up there which could take several hours.

Russ_S likes this.
  12. Aug 19, 2022 at 9:58 AM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    I've towed my 4200 lb dry, 5500 lb GVWR trailer behind my F150 a bunch of times without a WDH and it pulled well. You may just get a bit of sag.

Russ_S likes this.
  13. Aug 19, 2022 at 10:15 AM
    Newtonfb

Newtonfb [OP] New Member

Member:

So no ideal solution either way. I can take back roads all the way to keep the speed low.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  14. Aug 19, 2022 at 11:45 AM
    Windsor

Windsor New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7L
    Seat covers, SnugTop.
    If you get the HF one, keep the receipt. That way if you don't like how your truck handles or the PITA setup, you can take it back.
    I run a bar/chain setup on my car trailer and an Anderson No-Sway on my camper. I like the Anderson more, it rides better and the anti-sway is built into the ball.
    Only reason I haven't put a No-Sway on the car trailer is because I am buying a new one next yr and giving this one to my father to haul firewood with.

Edit: remember, the bar/chain setup is just WD, the anti-sway is a separate component that needs to have a bracket bolted to the tongue.

15. Aug 19, 2022 at 2:05 PM
    blenton

blenton New Member

Member:
    I would tow it home with the WD, but that’s me. It’s under 5k so according the manual you would be fine.

16. Aug 19, 2022 at 3:46 PM
    Newtonfb

Newtonfb [OP] New Member

Member:

I've never set one up before. I'm worried it's going to take me forever to get it hooked up. It would be much less stressful in my own driveway lol

Henry1jg likes this.
  17. Aug 19, 2022 at 4:38 PM
    KNABORES

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Some are bolt on, some actually self tap into the frame of the trailer. Have to get all the distances right when mounting the saddles for the distribution bars. Then you have to get the hitch height adjusted in the truck, the hitch tilt on some models, and then the bars setup, number of links used etc. if you’ve done it before and had all the right tools, could set one up in an hour. If not, some trial and error would be involved in the final adjustments.

18. Aug 19, 2022 at 4:57 PM
    LukeS

LukeS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    Army Green Limited TRD OR
    By the WDH before you get the trailer or buy it from the RV dealer when you pick up the trailer. They can do any drilling (if) required on the A frame and get it installed for you and have the hitch adjusted for your truck as part of the purchase. A good service tech will also go over the whole hook up and unhooked procedures with you so you know what you're doing before you drive away.

19. Aug 19, 2022 at 5:07 PM
    Newtonfb

Newtonfb [OP] New Member

Member:
    It's a private sale

20. Aug 19, 2022 at 5:30 PM
    KNABORES

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Does the PO have. WDH already installed on the camper that they will sell to you? I sold my WDH with my last trailer.

21. Aug 19, 2022 at 5:35 PM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    I pulled my 4,100# camper 110 miles home with no WDH. Did fine. You're going to get the truck and trailer loaded for your trips before you set up the WDH anyway.

22. Aug 21, 2022 at 2:39 PM
    nmmike

nmmike New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra CrewMax SR5 TRD
    I have the 2022 crewmax SR5 TRD POR, Blue Ox WDH, 21.5 ‘ Lance trailer, tandem wheels, 5500 lbs loaded ,, tongue weight approx 700 lbs.
    Also, I load up my bed pretty good, so payload is probably approx. 800-900 lbs.
    I have adjusted my hitch and WDH several times so that now trailer is level, and the Tundra tows great, very enjoyable. I do have a little sag, approx. 1.5”. I am at the point now where I am pretty happy and I think that if I really wanted to get rid of the sag I would need to add air bags or timbrens.
    I think that this is just the nature of how the Tundra is now built / designed with child springs???

23. Aug 21, 2022 at 3:12 PM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Where is the height of the front with the trailer on vs the truck loaded and no trailer. About all you can expect is to prevent the trailer tongue weight from causing the trucks ront axle weight to be reduced. A properly set up WDH will also move some of the tongue weight back to the trailer axles. So, a WDH will reduced the truck rear end sag a small amount compared to the trailer connected without the WDH.

Things to check: Has the WDH been set up with the truck and trailer loaded for the trip? Are both truck axles under the gross axle ratings? Is the truck once connected to the trailer under GVWR? Is the trailer under GVWR and the trucks towing capacity? It the total weight of truck and trailer under the combined gross rating.

I would recommend getting some tongue weight off the truck and back to the trailer axles. If your trailer is 5,500 GVWR your axles should have 5,000 pounds and the tongue 500.

24. Aug 22, 2022 at 10:26 AM
    nmmike

nmmike New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra CrewMax SR5 TRD
    Thanks for Ur response. I like Ur suggestion of checking the height on the front to make sure that I am not taking weight off the front axle. I was concentrating on the height on the back.
    Overall, I am pretty satisfied with my towing experience, and if the back sags a little bit, I think that I can live with that.

25. Aug 22, 2022 at 12:08 PM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    That's why trucks come a bit higher in the rear.:thumbsup:

22whatwedo and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  26. Aug 22, 2022 at 12:30 PM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    What model Blue Ox did you get and what tongue weight rating does it have? In my opinion if you are on the borderline of two sizes you should pick the heavier of the too. Travel trailers, like High School cheerleaders gain weight with age. The longer you use it the larger the pile of "must haves" becomes. I know that for a fact. My first trip out I took three fishing rods. This trip I lost count at 10.:eek2:

StrikeZone likes this.
  27. Aug 23, 2022 at 7:20 PM
    Knifeguy

Knifeguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    22 SR5 4x4 Crew-Max Short bed
    The good thing about blue ox (sway pro) is that you can buy different sets of bars if you end up needing a higher tounge weight.

Products Discussed in

To Top