1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tow Mirrors/Camper size

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by BGoodiE, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Jan 29, 2021 at 7:32 AM
    BGoodiE

BGoodiE [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD SR5 OR
    NONE! Lasted about a month, Firestone bags, Decked system, ARE CX HD, WeatherTech mats/rainguards, TRD RSB...
    Is it true, and safe, that if you get a 7foot wide travel trailer like the sweet Micro Minnie Winnie's I'm looking at, that you don't have to get tow mirrors? And it would be legal and safe to use the regular style mirrors factory to a '19 Tunnie? I'm trying to put the horse before the cart.

2. Jan 29, 2021 at 7:45 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    Tow mirrors do help. But in normal driving, my experience- tow mirrors can have some blind spots. Another option is the clip on towing mirrors- easy, cheap and take them off when you are not towing. But if you are towing a lot, adding tow mirrors would be a good idea.

johnnyv5 and BGoodiE[OP] like this.
  3. Jan 29, 2021 at 7:58 AM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    I think you’d be fine. I still use my regular side mirrors and I’ve towed my 8.5’ boat for thousands of miles and a 26’ travel trailer. It’s not the best view but I can certainly see the back of the trailer and beyond which is good enough for me.

FWIW, I just don’t like the shape/look of the Toyota tow mirrors and I’d lose BSM changing over. All aftermarket mirrors retaining the BSM I’ve looked into have reviews saying the mirror vibrates driving down the road which kind of makes it pointless.

BGoodiE[OP] likes this.
  4. Jan 29, 2021 at 8:06 AM
    Johnders2586

Johnders2586 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5 W/TRD pkg
    Toytec Performance Aluma 3" Lift- Toytec rear shackle, Fuel Vector Wheels, Toyo Open Country C/T 295/70/18 Tires
    I am going to go a bit against the grain here an say I felt tow mirrors really helped. My TT is only 24 '. I did the clip ons but they vibrated so bad an the mirror so small it was pointless other then seeing if there was a blur there resembling a car ... I swapped over to the OEM style my buddy had laying around an really liked the much wider view area.. can you get by? Sure but IMO it makes things much safer and easier if you have that extra visibility. My buddy went with the "GM" style an says there are a big improvement over the OEM. I will admit the OEM style(knockoffs) did vibrate more then the factory. I will also admit that the visibility is different then the stock mirrors. A lot of guys complain . I feel that maybe they don't have them adjusted properly or it's preference.. It took me a while to get used to the wide angle on the bottom. When your so used to seeing it one way it takes a while to adjust an relearn.. But felt much more comfortable with the bigger mirrors then without .

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    Black Wolf and BGoodiE[OP] like this.
  5. Jan 29, 2021 at 12:47 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I guess it depends on where you are but I'm not aware of any laws requiring towing mirrors. I'd like to put some on my truck just partially for the look, as I only intend to tow a few times a year.

Black Wolf likes this.
  6. Jan 31, 2021 at 6:39 AM
    runCMD

runCMD BAMF Nerd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Radiant Red CM SR5 TRD OR
    3/2.5 BOSS lift, 35s
    I towed my Micro Minnie with regular but have to say upgrading to tow mirrors helped a ton.

7. Jan 31, 2021 at 7:55 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    This is just one of those things that you need to try and see for yourself in the end,no one else can judge for you if they help or not.

I have towed a lot both ways and with several different trailers and all I can say for sure is that it just depends on the rig and driver.

You said it yourself,horse before the cart!

Get the rig together and try it and see if it works or not unless there are other reasons to change that are not obvious here.

BGoodiE[OP] and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  8. Feb 1, 2021 at 8:05 PM
    cforman61

cforman61 Pupper

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Highlands Ranch, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 TRD CrewMax
    Check your state regulations. Some states have specific requirements about how much and how far back you can view when towing. We have a backup camera on our trailer that stays on when towing so I can easily view the road behind my trailer as well as seeing if there is a vehicle next to my trailer when changing lanes.

BGoodiE[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top