1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tow hitch angle safety

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by tahoetrails, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Mar 20, 2019 at 11:35 AM
    tahoetrails

tahoetrails [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ive got a question for you guys/gals that have years of towing experience. I have been towing for work for the last 3 years. Logged quite a few miles with a 3 types of trailers. Ranging from 1,500lbs to 8,500lbs.

So my question here is, Is it ok to have the hitch be at a slight downward angle? I've done quite a bit of reading on this, and have gotten mixed responses. Obviously having a level hitch is the answer, but having it be slightly down cause any real safety issues?

Let me know what you guys think, I can have it redone, but honestly I would like to be finished with installing and taking off and painting the bumper.

4FD9C6D7-2376-44F9-B5CF-2C9491EA9399.jpg

2. Mar 20, 2019 at 11:51 AM
    bradleykd

bradleykd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited-BLACK
    It's not ideal, but safer than that jack stand setting....

3. Mar 20, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Probably won’t hurt anything but it’s bugging the shit out of me LOL

4. Mar 20, 2019 at 11:54 AM
    bradleykd

bradleykd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited-BLACK
    Seriously, on flat roads, probably won't be a problem. It could bind on big dips in the road (truck pointing up, trailer pointing down) and pop the ball off the hitch or trailer off of the ball.

I'd fix it just because it looks terrible.

TheBeast likes this.
  5. Mar 20, 2019 at 11:55 AM
    Azblue

Azblue Beer is Good Ban Moderator

Member:
    The Dirty T
    Is that just attached to the aftermarket bumper and that's the reason the receiver is angled down?
    If you're towing up to 8500 lbs then you need a full frame mounted hitch and I don't see how a full hitch mounted to the frame would do that unless the installation was really screwed up and rigged/modified to make it fit.

JohnLakeman likes this.
  6. Mar 20, 2019 at 1:48 PM
    tahoetrails

Member:
    This is an aftermarket hitch. It’s welded to my new bumper. 1/4” plate steel to the frame wth 5 bolts in the front mount. 2 bolts behind the shackle. Hitch was welded through a rectangular 1/4” plate steel as well as welded to the dom tubing.

7. Mar 20, 2019 at 2:00 PM
    Omohundro

Omohundro 2018 Not a Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    McMinnville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Bak Revolver, BedRug, Undercover Swingcase, PopLock, Bilstein 5160(rear), Firestone RideRite, TRD rear sway bar, Coachbuilder +2 rear shackles, Andersen 5” aluminum adjustable hitch, TRD dual exhaust, VLEDS interior leds including the footwell kit, TundraTex FRAC mod, VLEDS LPR backup tag mount led, Husky X-Act mats, Color matched cup holder bezel (silver), Ceramic 20% tint all around, 50% Ceramic windshield, Color Matched door handles & mirror caps, The “Stubby” antenna, AMP Research steps, VLEDS 6”step lights, ToyTec/5100 Bilstein coil overs, 700lbs red ToyTec springs (2.75” lift), 20x9 +18 Method 306 custom painted and custom fit center caps, Gorilla spline lugs, Bridgestone Revo 3s 285/60R20, TRD skid plate, RaptorLiner “Red” tow hooks, 19 Pro black LED headlights, VLEDS Triton V6 turns, Rigid SAE D series fog lamps, 19 TRD hood scoop, 2019 TRD Pro grille, Coachbuilder bumper shims, X-Pel protect under mud guards, Opti Coat Ceramic, Opti Coat Sealed. And some snakes and sparklers, because they are my favorite!
    Fix it, probably will not give any problems but why risk loosing a trailer going down the road?

8. Mar 20, 2019 at 2:11 PM
    kparrow

kparrow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Nampa, ID
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra DC 4x4 5.7l V8 Blue Streak Metallic
    Goodyear UltraTerrain AT 275/70/r18, Stoptech Cryo Slotted Rotors/Hawk LTS Pads, DECKED, and lots more!
    Damn, I’d fix it. Does not look rated to tow the weight if it’s bent that much

9. Mar 20, 2019 at 2:21 PM
    Blueline

Blueline New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeb
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD PRO crewmax
    Bakflip MX4
    Excessive tongue weight could be a big problem here. Most frame mounted hitch’s have max tongue weight ratings, but this is a lot different and the outfit that built the bumper, with welded on hitch, probably don’t have a certification on max tongue weight. How heavy is your trailer? Your tongue weight is going to be 10% of your trailer weight. A weight distribution hitch would actually straighten that hitch/ball just a bit. I personally would try to level it, as it’s already preloaded in the wrong direction.

10. Mar 20, 2019 at 2:23 PM
    Spolar

Spolar Going broke

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Seal Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 sr5
    Ok
    It’s not bent... the rear bumper was built like that. @tahoetrails my aftermarket bumper is similar. They did a pretty beefy hitch but it’s got a little tilt to it. Doesn’t bother me. But I’m no expert with towing I don’t plan on ever towing anything more than a small trailer

11. Mar 20, 2019 at 2:24 PM
    Spolar

Spolar Going broke

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Seal Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 sr5
    There’s not a fabricator on the planet that will give you max tongue weight or a tow rating with an aftermarket bumper/hitch

12. Mar 20, 2019 at 2:31 PM
    Blueline

Blueline New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeb
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD PRO crewmax
    Bakflip MX4
    There you go OP. Level it up, hope for the best, and use good safety chain that are crossed so they cradle the tongue of the trailer if all hell breaks loose.

13. Mar 20, 2019 at 2:42 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    17' Tundra SR5, 12' Tacoma TRD offroad
    I'm with this guy, if that's just a receiver tube welded to that aftermarket bumper then its not ideal to be used for towing heavier weight trailers.

Blueline and Azblue[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Mar 20, 2019 at 5:02 PM
    tahoetrails

Member:
    Instead of quoting everybody’s posts.
    Im just going to say I agree with everyone...
    -No way a fab guy will ever give ratings.
    -I will be bringing the bumper in soon to get it to sit level.
    -My trailer that gets the heaviest use is a 16’ tandem axle utility. It max out at 7,500 pounds. So ideally keeping it under 800lb tongue weight.
    -as far as hitch safety. I’m not a professional, I consult with people that know a shit load more than me and come up with the idea, that’s where the plate behind the dom comes in. Here is some better shots showing the weld and beefiness(I think that’s a word?)

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

15whtrd likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top