1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tow adapter is wobbly, losing connection for lights and brakes.

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by 2016 Tundra, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Jun 16, 2019 at 4:08 PM
    2016 Tundra

2016 Tundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited iforce 5.7 Liter with towing pkg
    Last week I was towing my horse trailer, everything was working fine... until I got a triangle shaped caution sign flashing at me on the display, stating "error" & then the green trailer connection display began to flicker, like a short or something. I pulled over and checked the plug, everything was the same as I started out with, plugged in secure. I unplugged it and plugged it back in again and it worked fine until I hit a bump and it revealed again no trailer on the display, no trailer brakes but the manuals worked. The horse trailer tested fine with other vehicles. I hooked up the 2016 Tundra again and noticed the adapter is wobbly & by moving it it seems to cause a disconnect as the trailer lights go off and on. It's does not seem to be the trailer since it works fine hooked up to the older 2006 Tundra no issue with turn signals, lights or brakes. I took the 2016 into the Toyota Dealership for a second diagnosis, Tuesday will be my third trip back. Now it's out of warranty but was during the first diagnosis. So far 1/2 tank of gas to and from and 2 full days spent with the dealer now looking at a third day. One employee suggested anchoring any slack in the tow cable. But looking, there wasn't too much slack to secure. it's still doing the same thing, behaving like a short when the truck adapter is moved or jiggled as it's being hooked up...it works intermittently and I can't tow a horse til it's fixed, I bought the truck for the sole purpose of towing the horse trailer. The adapter on the truck is fastened per factory to the truck on only one side of the adapter allowing it to wobble, why wouldn't it be screwed in and secure on both sides to hold it tight. Anyone else have these issues? any suggestions? the first time I took it in the service dept cleaned out some debris & it seemed to work fine for a while but doing the same exact thing. The service dept says it's got current and working fine.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Pinay likes this.
  2. Jun 16, 2019 at 5:11 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    The adapter on my Tacoma sucked until one day I ripped it off going through a creek. I put an aftermarket one on and it worked much better. Of course I had to cut the factory wires.

3. Jun 16, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Maybe it’s possible the pins aren’t making a tight connection. Either the ones on the truck are too small for the female end of the trailer harness, or, the harness is stretched out matching your old truck. Maybe it’s possible to take a pick and collapse the female connectors inside of the harness.

4. Jun 16, 2019 at 7:14 PM
    duece292

duece292 Appalachian American

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    Was the dealership specific about the "debris" that they cleaned out? If it was green corrosion it's very possible that it's also behind the spades. If there's corrosion behind them it can cause current to jump spades which can cause a dead short especially if current can jump across the ground spade. If you unplug the harness from the back of the plug you can look at the pins and if there is corrosion it may show itself.

Products Discussed in

To Top