1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tough towing this go around.

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by ColoradoTJ, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Aug 13, 2017 at 5:50 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ [OP] Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    What a hell of a trip.

We left on a Friday afternoon and headed out to ID. That was the best we could do time wise. Traffic was a PITFA all the way to Cheyenne, WY. Stop and go the whole way. We should have just stopped at @Sean266 house for six one packs and left at midnight. Out of Cheyenne the wife wanted to open her up. Poor lady, she got the short end of this trip. We had 30-40 mph crosswinds that made towing a TT pretty hard. She is a skilled driver, so she dropped a little speed and kept on. Lucky for us, the wind was constant for the most part, and trailer sway was predictable. We stayed at a Walmart Parking lot in Rock Springs since we took so long

Once in ID, towing was good, just a lot of two lane road and mountain passes.

From ID to MT was pretty good. Once over the Continental Divide, the big mountain passes were done. The wind picked back up. The wife got the brunt of that towing as well. I so made out on this trip.

MT to ND. Holy hell, that sucked ass. The wind was not constant and the towing was a PITA. We had to drop speed down to 65-70 mph, and at times down to 60 mph.

From ND to SD was pretty difficult with all the truck traffic, construction, constant hills and curves...and of course high winds. There were some long stretches between fueling stations, and we ended up getting down into the reserve tank. 5 gallons doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. I'm pretty sure we are getting an Aux Fuel tank, between 22-56 gallon. I'm leaning towards 22-30 gallon.

The craziest thing was my trailer tires. My rear trailer axle tires pretty much are done after this trip. The added little bit of sway from the wind, speed, and third season has done them in. The tires are at the wear bars, fronts are still good to go.

Rears
    IMG_2040.jpg

Front axle.

IMG_2041.jpg

Yota303 and MotoTundra like this.
  2. Aug 13, 2017 at 5:50 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    You're always welcomed!!

ColoradoTJ[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 13, 2017 at 5:57 PM
    CM-LENNY

CM-LENNY No Complaints

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 CrewMax SR5
    PRO shocks, 37's Nitto G2's 4:88 diffs, few other mods
    Hey Chris glad you made it to your destination safely. That's always a gamble when towing, traffic, wind, weather conditions etc. Lucky for me my wife can tow our bumper pull or are old 5th when needed. Glad to see you have the same. Was the trip worth it or are you still out ?

4. Aug 13, 2017 at 5:58 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Hell, we would have made better time, that I am sure of.

Not sure I am ready for my girls to meet your son. They have a little soft spot for handsome Hispanic boys. Lol

5. Aug 13, 2017 at 6:00 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    It is so nice. My wife has a Class A CDL, so so was used to running big trucks.

We are still out. Sturges area, Hill City.

4x4_Angel likes this.
  6. Aug 13, 2017 at 6:01 PM
    CM-LENNY

CM-LENNY No Complaints

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 CrewMax SR5
    PRO shocks, 37's Nitto G2's 4:88 diffs, few other mods
    Be safe and enjoy each day !!!!

7. Aug 13, 2017 at 6:05 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    Don't let him fool you. He's as white as I am.

8. Aug 13, 2017 at 6:32 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Still a little heart breaker.

4x4_Angel and T-Rex266[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Aug 13, 2017 at 6:38 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    Glad you're doing alright, stay safe, stay strong and stay in touch!

10. Aug 13, 2017 at 6:46 PM
    Baja Mike

Baja Mike Baja Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Bay, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD 4x4 SR5 white
    LED interior lights, Baja Designs foglights, Baja Designs S8 hood bulge light bar, LED bed lights, Baja Designs S8 amber bar in bumper on Rago Fab mounts, AMP Research bedstep, Switch Pros sp-9100, tinted door windows
    How heavy is the load that you're towing?

11. Aug 13, 2017 at 7:04 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Even some Tundra muscle beside me.

IMG_2042.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  12. Aug 13, 2017 at 7:06 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    ~8200 lbs trailer, 9000 lbs truck, 17200 combined.

My other half and I picked up some more rocks in ID for her collection.

13. Aug 13, 2017 at 7:08 PM
    Baja Mike

Baja Mike Baja Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Bay, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD 4x4 SR5 white
    LED interior lights, Baja Designs foglights, Baja Designs S8 hood bulge light bar, LED bed lights, Baja Designs S8 amber bar in bumper on Rago Fab mounts, AMP Research bedstep, Switch Pros sp-9100, tinted door windows
    Ah. You're not towing with the Tundra, you're towing the Tundra?

14. Aug 13, 2017 at 7:10 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    I have yet to pull a trailer with more than one axle, I never put much thought into the tire wear on a single axle because without brakes there isn't much. Pretty wild how the rears wore like that, good thing you are checking up on them!

15. Aug 13, 2017 at 7:18 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    No, I'm towing my TT with my truck.

IMG_1386.jpg

16. Aug 13, 2017 at 7:24 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Yeah, the rear tires on a tandem or triple axle trailer take a beating and scrub the ground pretty good. This was even made worse by traveling with full water, and in some cases pretty full on gray/black water.

I have a buddy that was pulling double bumper pulls, 25' TT and a 21' Chris craft behind that. He got some bad sway at 65 mph and totally destroyed his brand new tires on his single axle boat trailer. I was speechless. He thought he was going to die. His wife made him get rid of his 1/2 ton and go get a new 07 CC DM. The next upgrade was a 5th wheel trailer and sell the boat.

17. Aug 13, 2017 at 7:32 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    That's pretty rediculous, haha. I'm glad to hear he has a safer setup!

I can't imagine what that train looked like going down the highway. Haha.

18. Aug 13, 2017 at 7:38 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Yeah, it was ridiculous.

Now he is more safe...

IMG_2044.jpg

MotoTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Aug 13, 2017 at 7:51 PM
    Coolhardy

Coolhardy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harris
    Vehicle:
    2014 black tundra
    Too many to list
    So Tundra won't be able to tow your trailer? Too much weight for 1/2 ton pickup? How long is the trailer?

20. Aug 13, 2017 at 7:53 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    [​IMG]

21. Aug 13, 2017 at 8:00 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
  22. Aug 13, 2017 at 8:10 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    It was exhausting for long hauls. For short trips in CO, the Tundra was a champ.

I also had no reserve when towing the flatbed and Jeep, which is heavier than the TT.

I always offer at least to the Colorado people, you ever want to know what 7-10k lbs behind your truck feels like, I can hook ya up.

Coolhardy[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Aug 13, 2017 at 8:11 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    Next time you're up my way, shoot me a call/text. Beers/food whatever y'all need are on me.

24. Aug 13, 2017 at 8:12 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Done.

T-Rex266[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Aug 13, 2017 at 8:14 PM
    Coolhardy

Coolhardy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harris
    Vehicle:
    2014 black tundra
    Too many to list
    Coming from German sports sedans, Tundra is my first pickup truck. My purchase next year is gonna be the TT. Leaning more towards a 20ft. Looks like Tundra won't do the job then. Hence, my search for American Diesel truck begins???

26. Aug 13, 2017 at 8:30 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Would love to do that one day. Best to learn from the experts.

27. Aug 13, 2017 at 8:31 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I wouldn't go that far. The Tundra pulls very well in most situations.

So I need to do some background on why I went the route I did. Everyone else in my Offroad crew purchased either a 34' enclosed gooseneck trailer to haul 2 Rock crawlers or a 40' toyhauler. We are sharing towing duties between 3 of us so we all can go and all have a place to stay after a long day of Jeeping. This is obviously way more than what a 1/2 ton could pull.

We have some kick ass members on this site and it is getting bigger every day. Hell, I can't even keep up with the welcoming committee duties...lol. What I am suggesting is start a thread about borrowing a trailer to do a tow test. Find out what you want, and ask here in your area if you can hook to the trailer. Another option is renting a TT for a weekend to see what you think.

If you were in CO, you could hook to either of my trailers and hit the mountains to see what you think. Most members would probably help you out. You know how guys are, they always like playing with their toys.

MotoTundra and TXMiamiFan like this.
  28. Aug 13, 2017 at 8:35 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Anytime Jose. You know where I live...well for another 30 days starting right meow. You have my number. We could throw your truck on the trailer and see what 9500 lbs feels like and how the Tundra handles it. You probably will be pleasantly surprised at how well it does. It shocked me the first time I hooked to a heavy load.

TXMiamiFan[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Aug 13, 2017 at 8:48 PM
    Coolhardy

Coolhardy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harris
    Vehicle:
    2014 black tundra
    Too many to list
    Thanks for the detailed information. It now make sense. I can actually put Tundra to work. I am planning to drive to CO next month if everything goes well with current projects. Still have to do a lotsa research with TT as I have no clue as to how exactly it works. Like your idea of renting one to feel the process. I drive with a heavy foot so first I have to get accustomed to Tundra which is still in shop ever since I got it.

30. Aug 13, 2017 at 9:01 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Well, if your travels find you in Colorado Springs, let me know and you're more than welcome to test the shit out of mine.

Speaking of that, it is 10 pm, and I have 8 hours of pulling tomorrow starting at 7am. Fun fun.

Products Discussed in

To Top