1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Torque convertor/tranny

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Foxhollowky, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Jan 28, 2019 at 9:39 AM
    Foxhollowky

Foxhollowky [OP] New Member

Member:
    Have 2007 Tundra DC, 4WD with 5.4L with 127K on it. On the way to work this morning, the traction control, check engine, VSC off, and 4LO all came on. VSC and 4LO were blinking. Seemed to drive ok (according to my wife who was driving the Tundra today). Took to local Toyota mechanic (not dealer). Based on code they think it may be torque convertor. Said there was bulletin in past and some info online that people needed to replace transmission. I can’t F-ing afford to do that. Just bought the thing few weeks ago.

No signs when I’ve driven it that tranny had issues. Wife said she thought it wouldn’t accelerate down hill like tranny was holding it back (but not downshifting). I’ve felt that in other vehicles.

We’re going to to the Toyota recommended flush/refill procedure for that transmission. They were aware of the special procedure - heating to certain temp...using software...

Mechanic said 50-50 that takes care of it. Otherwise, new transmission. Can anyone give me any guidance on this?

I feel like if it happens again, or start getting any sounds bad shifting then we should cut our losses and trade it on on another truck. I repeat, I cannot afford a new transmission.

WrigglingWilly likes this.
  2. Jan 28, 2019 at 9:58 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    I have not experienced these issues. I have heard to refill with synthetic which is compatible. Some have claimed smoother feeling trannys from synthetic. Also consider doing additional drain and fill soon, only 1/4-1/3 of fluid is replaced.

Good Luck!

3. Jan 28, 2019 at 10:39 AM
    WrigglingWilly

WrigglingWilly Well used Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 4x4 5.7 8.1bed
    LineX
    Sorry to hear your problems on a new to you expensive truck! I had weird transmission issues in 2003 Focus we owned, many years ago(automatic had totally lost overdrive). I called several Ford dealers, they all said $1500, just to tear down the transmission, in addition to whatever else was actually wrong. I called one Transmission specialty shop(
    Advantage Transmission
    1202 Cobblestone Way, Woodstock, IL 60098
    (815) 337-1081
    https://goo.gl/maps/PGxWjSbc66C2
    )and, over the phone, the guy told me it was a $65 solenoid, I should replace 2 of them, and only an hour of labor to fix. It ended up costing $200. I would call as many Transmission specialty shops as I could in a similar situation as yours. Good luck!

Stormtrooper81 and Trooper2 like this.
  4. Feb 15, 2019 at 6:33 AM
    JetMaxx

JetMaxx New Member

Member:
    Any update on this? Having a similar issue, I’m in the process of trying to find a solid shop in PA that knows what they’re doing.

5. Feb 15, 2019 at 6:46 AM
    Foxhollowky

Foxhollowky [OP] New Member

Member:
    We got the flush done 2.5 weeks ago and so far so good. But we had the truck for month and put 1,000 miles on it before this happened. Fingers crossed it solved our issue... Good luck! Let us all know what you end up doing and if it works.

OBXTundra and JetMaxx like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top