1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Torn Between Tundra and 4Runner

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Nastickm, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Jun 13, 2021 at 2:24 PM
    Nastickm

Nastickm [OP] New Member

Member:
    I will be in the market around this time next year, but starting to research and test drive now. Budget is not an issue but need to choose one and I can’t decide between the Tundra and the 4Runner. I have 2 kids (10,6), do some house/yard work throughout the year but nothing crazy. Take a few trips to the beach in the summer and have a short commute to work.

I like the functionality of having an open bed whenever I need it, which is not often, but have also been a SUV guy to this point and the 4Runner feels more comfortable overall to me.

So my question is, what do you like most about the Tundra? Also, has anyone here been in the same position or gone from 4Runner to Tundra?

Any feedback is appreciated!

2. Jun 13, 2021 at 2:36 PM
    YotaMan

YotaMan Silver Bullet

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2021 Platinum
    Wait for the new 2022 model tundra and then decide

It should be revealed sometime soon.. total change to the truck

3. Jun 13, 2021 at 2:43 PM
    ZiaTundra

ZiaTundra New Member

Member:
    I think the 4Runner is more agile and better build quality. We have both although older. 4th gen 4Runner and 2nd gen Tundra.

Backslider and AggiePhil like this.
  4. Jun 13, 2021 at 2:46 PM
    Pmac

Pmac New Member

Member:
    South of Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax TRD Off-road
    4Runner to Tacoma to Sequoia to Tundra. Still have the Sequoia and Tundra, so get one of each was my solution. All I need the PU for is hauling my ATV and it’s more convenient for hunting. Otherwise I prefer the SUV, which can do the same work with my utility trailer. The CrewMax is huge, still adjusting to that. My first Gen Sequoia is about perfect sized, on or off road for me, my only complaint is it’s small gas tank. If you found a good deal on a Lexus GX460 and don’t mind buying premium gas, that could be the sweet spot for SUV size and V-8 power. A V-8 is what moved me up in size among the Toyota’s, I tow a boat.

AggiePhil and Jernik like this.
  5. Jun 13, 2021 at 2:55 PM
    LuvCRVs

LuvCRVs New Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    Hard Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, OEM Bed Mat, OEM All Weather Floor Mats
    Seems to me the Tundra can do for you what the 4R does. But as YOU said, you "need" the open bed "not often" but sounds like you still "need" it. If that is correct, then the choice is clear...the Tundra.

But no matter which one you choose, there will a trade-off. Just the way life is now with so many choices.

6. Jun 13, 2021 at 2:58 PM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    I just could not get comfortable in the cramped 4runner for long drives,the Tundra is a whole lot more spacious inside.
    I sort of draw the line right there as I drive across the country a lot.

7. Jun 13, 2021 at 3:19 PM
    SSPey

SSPey .

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2021 DinoSR5
    My first Tundra was pre-kid, then to 4Runner for back seats, now back to Tundra for towing. 20 yrs. If I didn’t tow, then I would’ve stuck with the 4Runner. I’m 6’5” and the 4Runner has plenty of room for me, better driving and maneuverability, extremely capable, better mpg and easier parking than the Tundra. Lots of people have trucks who don’t really “need” them but they prefer to drive big. I prefer to drive a smaller rig (all else equal) and not interested in a lift or big tires, the stock Tundra is bad-ass enough for me! It is a good dilemma to have, both are great.

Tundrastruck91 and Jernik like this.
  8. Jun 13, 2021 at 3:25 PM
    LuvCRVs

LuvCRVs New Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    Hard Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, OEM Bed Mat, OEM All Weather Floor Mats
    That is me. I have no need for Tundra. But then I have no need for all my other toys either (golfing fishing, multiple TVs, etc.). It was purely I like it I want it purchase. First vehicle I ever bought where need, practicality and economy were not part of the equation. I smile every time I climb into the cockpit. I figure in 6-7 years as I get into my mid-60's I will move back to a midsize SUV...actually excited what the manufactures will be offering come then.

plumber802 likes this.
  9. Jun 13, 2021 at 3:36 PM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum & 2020 Jeep SRT
    We have both. Both have their benefits. When we go somewhere, and don’t have a specific need, we always take the Tundra.

Both have good interior room. The Tundra is massive, and can fit a small house in the back seat. 4R still has good bit of room and has the rear cargo room. The covered rear cargo room is super nice for groceries / dogs / etc when I have the wife and two teenage sons.

Tundra is a more comfortable drive with how spacious the interior is, the effortless V8 power, and tall seating position.

4R is better off-road, gets better traction on snow / ice, and is easier to park.

Tundra gets about 15.5mpg on 33” tires. 4R gets 18-18.5mpg.

Tundra tows MUCH better.

If you do a bunch of off roading, need a smaller vehicle, drove a ton, and needed the covered rear storage area then I would pick 4R. If you don’t specifically need those things, then the Tundra is the choice.

Booney, Jernik and Metro14536 like this.
  10. Jun 13, 2021 at 3:44 PM
    TucsonTundra1794

TucsonTundra1794 ASCM #6-11 I'll buy if you're willing to ship

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2023 1794 Edition TRD Package
    3rd gen 4runner and 3rd gen tundra. I love my 4runner, kids say the backseat isn't as comfortable but they still have room. Before having the Tundra they never complained but now having the extra room they don't like going back. I have a 6, 12, and 14 year old. For trips and hauling we take the Tundra. For in town and errands usually it's the 4runner. I'd say you'd be able to get by with the 4runner for almost all you need. More comfortable drive, better gas mileage, better handling, cozier interior. If I had to choose only 1 I'd say the Tundra wins only if your constantly using the bed and towing frequently.

Jernik likes this.
  11. Jun 13, 2021 at 3:53 PM
    shawn474

shawn474 Lego connoisseur

Member:
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tundra crew max TRD Off Road
    I had a 2014 4runner that was totaled when I got hit by a guy running a red light. It had 100,000 miles and was five years old when that happened - NEVER had an issue. Got an incredible payout from the insurance company; it held its value better than I could have imagined.

I bought the tundra as a replacement because I have always wanted and with the payout it was much more affordable that way.

I have not had one regret BUT the 4runner was a great vehicle for me. The only thing I will say is do NOT get the 3rd row option if you don’t absolutely need it. It significantly took away from the cargo room for me.

Tundrastruck91 and Metro14536 like this.
  12. Jun 13, 2021 at 7:43 PM
    Jas4tundra

Jas4tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jasmeet
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra limited white
    Stock
    I just bought a 2011 4Runner limited, have around 117k miles still rides like new. No rattles at all. I think 4Runner has better built quality than tundra. When taking my entire family I still like tundra as it has so much more room.

2mchfun and TucsonTundra1794 like this.
  13. Jun 13, 2021 at 8:02 PM
    Jernik

Jernik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    We have both, a 2014 4Runner Trail (which is now called "Off Road") and a 2020 Tundra SR5.

I find both are comfortable on long trips. Being smaller in stature, the 4R seats actually fit me better than the huge Tundra seats, but neither are bad. 4Runner has "softex" and Tundra is cloth. Softex is durable and holds up well, but it doesn't breathe. Your back will sweat in summer even with AC full blast. Cloth obviously isn't that way. I'd love ventilated seats in 4R, but the Limited has a mug only its mother could love. lol

4Runner gets better fuel economy - about 3 mpg better on highway (17-18 in Tundra and generally pretty consistent 20 in 4R, relatively flat roads with some hills).

Whenever we're going to a town/city/event, we take the 4R simply because it's easier to maneuver and park.

Tundra 5.7 and that 6 spd are paired and tuned very well, IMO. It's a pleasure to drive it, and easy to drive smooth when not in a hurry. The 4R feels underpowered to a mild degree most of the time, and I think a lot of it has to do with being programmed for efficiency (ironic in this platform!) - it always wants to get into the tallest gear as soon as possible. It will move if you stand on it, and while not horrible, it's never quite as responsive and smooth in the power application as the Tundra.

Tough choice. It really is. I think, if someone put a gun to my head and said I could only keep one... I would pick the 4R by the narrowest of margins. If I towed or used the bed more than I do it would obviously be Tundra. Something about the 4R is just overall a slightly more enjoyable driving experience for me (despite my sweaty back and the lazy engine/transmission tuning). Maybe I'm just more comfortable with the size of it, or maybe it's the hood scoop, I don't know... IMO you can't go wrong with either. They're both great vehicles and when you get where you're going, you can't help but look back at them and smile as you walk away.

TucsonTundra1794 likes this.
  14. Jun 13, 2021 at 9:34 PM
    Xspurt

Xspurt New Member

Member:
    Keep in mind you're comparing a full size truck to a mid sized SUV. I like SUVs. I like the way they look especially and I like that my cargo is always secure from weather and thieves but lots of things don't fit, especially in smaller SUVs. If you were comparing a Tacoma and 4Runner -or- Tundra and Sequoia, THEN you might have a harder choice IF you were paying more attention to your actual planned use. Again, I like SUVs but they're not as practical or versatile as a pickup and I'm talking about the full sized SUVs. A mid sized SUV or smaller won't even hold as much as car (unless it's a 3 foot high item we're talking about). Compared to a full sized car they don't get great fuel economy, won't ride as nice and they don't have more room when it comes right down to it either. All you get is to sit up a little higher and AWD and AWD is available in a lot of cars now anyway. Go with the truck.

15. Jun 14, 2021 at 3:56 AM
    RusPro21

RusPro21 Pro is gone! But I’m still here.

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    2021 Pro!! Nitto’s Tyger blades, Arc audio!
    Boy your going to get a lot of different pros and cons your head will be spinning. Lol. It’s a tough call. I had mostly tacomas the. I switched to 4runner Pros. I loved my 17 and my AG20 4runner Pro. I had my 20 Pro almost 2 years and decided to make a move for a LunaRock Tundra Pro. All because my wife has a Acura RDX which we don’t need 2 SUV’s. It’s only her and me. It was hard giving up my 2020 4runner. Do I miss it not as of now. Just did a about 1000 mile road trip in the tundra and it was very nice. Comparing both engines and and transmissions. The 4runner never bothered me how the power was. But after driving the tundra Pro with this V8 and smooth shifting and the dual exhaust sound it would be hard for me to go back to a Tacoma or 4runner. The biggest thing I don’t like about it comparing it with the 4runner is parking this beast. I know it’s just a matter of time getting use to it. But like I told my wife I have nothing to lose. I got almost what I paid for my AG4runner Pro and if I decide to sell my tundra and go back I’m not going to lose money I will make money on this. Other then the size of the truck I love it.

Metro14536 and Tundrastruck91 like this.
  16. Jun 14, 2021 at 4:16 AM
    ‘19pro

‘19pro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walter
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra Pro, black
    295/75-18, TRD intake, CB pro kit.
    I have both! Wife drives the 4Runner and I have the Tundra. I like the 4Runner better for almost all daily things. The tundra I use for carrying all my work supplies and towing occasionally. I could make it work with just the 4Runner to be honest, it just can’t tow a 10k trailer.

Jernik likes this.
  17. Jun 14, 2021 at 4:57 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    I went from a 2017 SR5 4Runner to a 2020 SR5 Tundra. For me personally, Tundra hands down. But like many other have said it all depends on your needs OP.

With that said the Tundra is MUCH more comfortable. Especially in regards to the actual seats themselves and the suspension. The 4Runner had a lot more bounce and swayed worse than the Tundra.

The 4Runner is a great truck but it just wasn’t for me. I would have still owned if it weren’t for the severe rust problems I was having so I not so sold of the “Japan” build quality these days. I feel their quality is as good in any factory nowadays or in other words its model dependent.

And the 4Runner just didn’t tow well...that was a little bit of a let down. The transmission would gear hunt a lot more than I would have liked at 60mph.

The 4Runner though is hand down more fuel efficient, much better at getting around town, and is a beast in bad weather.

Metro14536 and Tundrastruck91 like this.
  18. Jun 14, 2021 at 7:17 AM
    plumber802

plumber802 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Platinum CM
    Parking a Tundra does require more space to park than a 4Runner, if that's a consideration for you.

19. Jun 14, 2021 at 8:01 AM
    RusPro21

RusPro21 Pro is gone! But I’m still here.

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    2021 Pro!! Nitto’s Tyger blades, Arc audio!
    Yeah the tundra is 4 foot longer.

20. Jun 14, 2021 at 8:03 AM
    Nastickm

Nastickm [OP] New Member

Member:
    Greatly appreciate all the responses, lots of good insights, and things to consider.

21. Jun 14, 2021 at 8:12 AM
    MikeyRedFL

MikeyRedFL New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SWFL
    Vehicle:
    2021 Limited Crew Max 4x4
    The best compromise would be the Lexus GX460 which is about the same price as a well appointed Tundra... I just went through this and the V6 in the 4Runner to me is just too under powered... I owned one ('05) and sold it for a GX460 ('08)back in the day... The GX even with the 4.6L V8 is a great to drive. I wouldn't buy a first model year of anything even a Toyota so the 2022 was a non starter for me. Just make sure to get it in white though! They are the fastest...

22. Jun 14, 2021 at 8:13 AM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum & 2020 Jeep SRT
    I believe it is 3’ actually.

That being said, the Tundra has a FANTASTIC turning radius for a half ton truck. Sharper than 2019 Ford / 2020 Chevy / 2021 Ram (have had all 3 as work trucks, and made many full lock turn going in / out of my garage and driveway which requires full lock turn around.

Oey12 likes this.
  23. Jun 14, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    jeffw6236

jeffw6236 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM CrewMax 4x4
    We have 2019 tundra and a 2017 4Runner. Love both but it’s not really a fair comparison. The Tundra is way bigger and from that perspective matches up better with a Sequoia.
    I think the real question is truck or SUV.

24. Jun 14, 2021 at 8:31 AM
    Snaz

Snaz I <3 explosions

Member:
    SE CO
    Vehicle:
    '20 Limited Quicksand
    I have both. Honestly, I hate driving the 4runner. It's small and something about the way it handles just isn't for me. It's really nice, don't get me wrong, I just don't like driving it.

Tundrastruck91 likes this.
  25. Jun 14, 2021 at 8:33 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    2018 4Runner and 2021 Tundra crewmax here. If you don't need to tow heavy or just a little heavy sometimes buy a 4Runner and a medium cargo trailer for when you need a truck. I put a drawtite frame mounted hitch on my 4Runner and airbags so it is quite capable with a weight distribution hitch if I want to push it really hard. Also added auxiliary transmission coolers to both. Love the quality, engineering, and comfort of the 4Runner. Bought the Tundra to tow 8k travel trailer and so far have spent 9k transforming it into a heavy half which has made it much more capable of keeping the headlights in focus when loaded. 4Runner is more fun to drive, easier to drive, and has more seating due to the third row when needed.

Badknees likes this.
  26. Jun 14, 2021 at 8:36 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    +1 For white.

Rex Kramer and MikeyRedFL like this.
  27. Jun 14, 2021 at 9:48 AM
    Badknees

Badknees New Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tundra 1794 CM 4X4
    TRD Pro BBS Wheels, TRD LED Headlights, Rigid LED Fog lights, 040 TRD Grille, 040 Hood Bulge, Black Center Valence, Driver's Grab Handle, TRD Pro Fox Suspension, 1.00" BORA Wheel Spacers, 1.5" Rear Shackles, TRD Front and Rear Sway bars, 295/70 R18 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs, Full Size Spare, TRD Dual Exhaust, Console cover, Console Organizer, Husky Liner X-act Contours, Tinted Front Windows, Stubby Antenna, Autoventshade Deflectors, Duplicolor Painted Calipers, 040 Painted Front End Caps, Undercover Armor Flex Bed Cover
    I've had a bunch of Toyota SUV's and trucks over the years. Several Sequoias, 4Runners, Tundras, and Pick-up/Tacomas. Today, I own a 2016 Tundra Crewmax, '02 4Runner, and an '89 Pick-up. Each one has had a place where they perform exceptionally well depending on family travel, towing, off-road, hunting, or other needs. I was on the fence between a Sequoia and Tundra before I bought the Tundra. I also have a 6' x 12' trailer, so having a large truck wasn't an absolute need for me as the Sequioa could tow a trailer just fine. However, given the larger Crewmax cab, I decided I could add a nice bed cover and extender to the Tundra and have one vehicle that meets all my needs. Of course, the bed isn't as nice as the Sequoia interior, but I can carry as much stuff dry as I need and has plenty of usable space for seating and cargo in the cab - carpeting the bed would make it even better. The Tundra also has the nice flexibility of hauling a bunch of crap if I need to and stuff I wouldn't want to put inside a nice SUV (which I do quite often). However, as others point out,The Tundra does like gas and isn't as nimble as an SUV. I don't have much invested in my '02 4Runner and use it when I'm just bee-bopping around town to save a little fuel and keep the miles off the Tundra. The one negative for the Tundra is that it is so large my wife doesn't like driving it (she's 5', 3")...it's ok though, she has a Prius!

Guess, it mainly comes down to which vehicle checks the most boxes for your personal and family situation. Best of Luck!

28. Jun 14, 2021 at 10:14 AM
    MikeyRedFL

MikeyRedFL New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SWFL
    Vehicle:
    2021 Limited Crew Max 4x4
    Because kids can't ride in the back of pickup trucks anymore ... and I bet they didn't have sunscreen on either!!!

Screenshot 2021-06-14 1.11.05 PM.jpg

Badknees likes this.
  29. Jun 14, 2021 at 10:24 AM
    Badknees

Badknees New Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tundra 1794 CM 4X4
    TRD Pro BBS Wheels, TRD LED Headlights, Rigid LED Fog lights, 040 TRD Grille, 040 Hood Bulge, Black Center Valence, Driver's Grab Handle, TRD Pro Fox Suspension, 1.00" BORA Wheel Spacers, 1.5" Rear Shackles, TRD Front and Rear Sway bars, 295/70 R18 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs, Full Size Spare, TRD Dual Exhaust, Console cover, Console Organizer, Husky Liner X-act Contours, Tinted Front Windows, Stubby Antenna, Autoventshade Deflectors, Duplicolor Painted Calipers, 040 Painted Front End Caps, Undercover Armor Flex Bed Cover
    Hey, I think I know those kids! :)
    Sunscreen? We don't need no stinking sunscreen! Rub some dirt on it!

MikeyRedFL[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Jun 14, 2021 at 11:12 AM
    MSU Tundra

MSU Tundra Numerous rodeos experienced

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra and 2013 LC200
    You should add the Sequoia to your list.

Rex Kramer and Badknees like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top