1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire lug "cupping": alignment or suspension??

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by MattGiovanni, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Jun 8, 2017 at 3:49 PM
    MattGiovanni

MattGiovanni [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L V8 Double Cab TRD package
    Hi everyone. This is my first post. I browsed the suspension posts and didn't see anything similar, but this still might be partially or fully redundant w a prior post and I apologize if that's the case. I'm also an amateur mechanic, at best, when I'm at my peak game. So please be easy on me!

I have a 2016 SR5 5.7L double cab w TRD package. Within 2-3 months of buying it, I installed:

- 275/70R18 Cooper STT Pro muds
    - 1.25" Rugged Ridge wheel/hub spacers
    - MotoFab leveling kit w 3" coil spring spacers and 2" leaf spring spacers
    - Zone Offroad differential drop kit

I had the wheels aligned (presumably to stock specs) after mounting the new tires, and then I installed the other parts and had the wheels aligned again.

I have about 24k miles on the Coopers and the outside lugs are really starting to wear unevenly ("cupping", so I'm told), to the point where the noise on the road is becoming really annoying and my > $300 tires are slowly getting trashed.

I've gotten two diagnostic opinions from the local professional and wannabe mechanics I know: the wheels need to be aligned (again) or the shocks and/or coil springs need to be replaced with adjustable ones to account for the leveling kit lift. I believe the current shocks are Bilstein 4600s.

Does anyone have advice that might help me decide which diagnosis I should address? Thank you in advance for your expertise.20170527_200321.jpg 2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  2. Jun 8, 2017 at 4:06 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Welcome to the forum from CO. Sorry you had to join due to an issue. The experts will chime in soon. And don't worry, I don't know anything about cars; folks here are not high and mighty nor elitist. You should also start a new member intro post so we can get to know more about you and this good looking truck of yours.

3. Jun 8, 2017 at 4:10 PM
    R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN IG: @rocketmanmtb

Member:
    NGAMTNS
    Vehicle:
    '17 TUNDRA TRD PRO CEMENT ‘15 TUNDRA SR-5 WHITE
    you failed to note how often you rotate.

TheBeast likes this.
  4. Jun 8, 2017 at 4:17 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 The Mad Scientist Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum, 2012 Tacoma, 2007 T4R
    Metric shit ton of parts
    Cupping is normally caused by a tire balance issue or blown shocks. It can be exacerbated by improper tire inflation. Frequent rotations will help as it spreads out the issue with damping out across all that are rotated, rather than just the one. But most of the time it's caused by lack of dampering and tire imbalance.
    Given that you have a coil spacer, my money is on the shock itself. The coil is preloaded with a coil spacer and adds more stored energy into the coil spring. Without using a shock that has increased rebound dampering, it eventually leads to cupping (also called scalloping).

Edit: It would be worthwhile to have someone just throw it up on the alignment machine and check toe alignment as well.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Patriot, T-Rex266, csuviper and 4 others like this.
  5. Jun 8, 2017 at 4:34 PM
    MattGiovanni

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the welcome, COMiamiFan, and thank you for your response, jberry813.

I rotate my tires every 5k miles, including the spare, which has the same Cooper tire mounted on a matching TRD wheel that I replaced the OEM spare wheel with. I keep my tires at about 45psi.

jberry813, do you suggest fixed or adjustable shocks with or without coilovers?

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it.

TXMiamiFan likes this.
  6. Jun 8, 2017 at 4:48 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum, 2012 Tacoma, 2007 T4R
    Metric shit ton of parts
    45 psi is way too high for our trucks. They are just not that heavy and will make it excessively bouncy and certainly attribute to the cupping. Toyota recommends 30 in the front and 33 in the rear with the caveat of stock tire size. In my experience, adding wider and taller tires, you can run higher psi and, once you level it, equal pressure in all 4. I run 35 all the way around.
    Next, Toyotas come from the factory with a coilover. A coilover simply means you have a coil spring surrounding the damper (shock) with a double a-arm suspension (UCA/LCA). Every replacement out there is also a coilover. That said, there are adjustable coilovers which allow you to add preload to change front end ride height or have c-clips that change the lower perch location of the coil spring (Bilsteins). I'm a shock snob so all of my rigs have rebuildable, revalvable, and adjustable coilovers. This certainly is not for everybody as it comes at a cost. But it's buy once, cry once, just pay for the rebuilds as time goes on. I prefer Kings, but there are plenty of others on the market that do the job. Only you can evaluate what you needs, preferences, and budget are. Good luck regardless.

J4RR3N4, Patriot, T-Rex266 and 4 others like this.
  7. Jun 8, 2017 at 5:05 PM
    MattGiovanni

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Thank you again for your reply.

I increased tire size from stock 255/70R18 with the 275/70R18 Coops, and may have mistakenly interpreted information in the following thread as stating that increased tire pressure was appropriate w larger tires. I just started inflating to 45psi last week, hoping it would alleviate some of the wear on the outer lugs, but had always maintained 35psi before, so I don't believe the previous cupping/scalloping is from the recently increased psi.

8. Jun 8, 2017 at 6:12 PM
    Bprose

Bprose Old member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra CM TRD
    I always run 32-35 psi. Never had problems. Rotate at 5k. BTW. Nice looking ride.

MattGiovanni[OP] likes this.
  9. Jun 8, 2017 at 6:47 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    My first thought would be the spacers. My second thought would be the shocks. Consider removing the spacers and replacing the shocks with Bilstein 5100s on the top setting. You can add 1 coach builder shim per side to get back up to the 3". You'll be much happier with the ride, put less wear on your components, and will probably have more alignment room. With those spacers, you're probably close to your camber limits if you have stock UCAs.

$.02

MattGiovanni[OP] likes this.
  10. Jun 13, 2017 at 10:26 AM
    blizz86

blizz86 New Member

Member:
    I've been getting some cupping as well on my Toyo AT2 extremes.. but only 1 tire where i failed to rotate until like 8k mi lol. I have kings all around and they are pretty much new so not my suspension causing it. I've been running about 45 psi though.. do you still recommend 35 psi for E rated tires? But wouldnt over inflated tires just cause the middle to wear more? Im thinking it could have been due to a not so great alignment the first time around.

11. Jun 13, 2017 at 10:42 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    jberry813 and Patriot like this.
  12. Jun 13, 2017 at 12:23 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe