1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Timing chain tensioner and Guides

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Jscrocca, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Aug 12, 2021 at 9:12 AM
    Jscrocca

Jscrocca [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 4wd tundra
    6 inch lift. Dual exhaust. Air intake. Tuned.
    Hello all. A month ago I had the primary chain tensioner fail and was getting a noise from the front of the motor. Took it in and they replaced the timing chain, tensioner and chain guides. Less than a month later and the sound is back and the shop has to tear it apart again. Anybody experience something similar? What would keep causing it?
    Thank you

2. Aug 12, 2021 at 9:27 AM
    BlackSheep

BlackSheep caffeinated member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black DC 5.7L 4x4
    held together by duct tape and baling wire
    That does not sound good. I don't know much about this part of the mechanics of the truck, but I generally understand that timing chain failure can easily be catastrophic for these engines, so I imagine timing chain tensioner problems could lead to serious issues, if less than catastrophic. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will chime in soon and share what they know.

3. Aug 12, 2021 at 9:27 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    New parts can be defective right out of the box, or perhaps the install was not done properly. You will not know until it is apart and the items can be checked. How many miles?

I understand replacing the guides, tensioner, seems more odd that they replaced the actual chain. How did they determine the chain was stretched and needed to be replaced?
    Check the sprockets, they wear over time too and become smaller in diameter, and if they need replacement they can make the truck seem like the chain has stretched, same noise and issue due to the slack created from their wear.

Products Discussed in

To Top