1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Timing belt change for 2006 Toyota Tundra DC VVTi v8 4.7l 2uvfe

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by baraynavab, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Oct 12, 2020 at 11:15 AM
    baraynavab

baraynavab [OP] Toyo Junkie

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 5.7L V8
    Hey guys sorry for the full description on the title. I was trying to make it easier for Google to find this for others when they search. Anyways he's my quesitons.

I am going to be replacing my 2006 Toyota's Tundra Double cab timing belt. It is a VVTi Engine. So I am trying to get all the components together and also get any specific instructions I need to have before I start doing the timing belt for the car. I would really like to know all of this before I go ahead and do it.

In terms of what to buy - I am going to by the Aisin TKT-021 Timing belt kit which comes with water pump. Any thing else I need to get that I cannot replace otherwise? that is recommended to get while changing the TB?

In terms of install instructions for changing the timing belt. I have the 2005-2006 FSM manual. Should I just follow those instructions? or is there something I need to be aware of that not in the manual?

Is there is any additional VVTi motor TB guides I should be referencing to? if so please share videos's and links.

Any lastly anything I should be aware of either before/during or after the TB install?

Also b4 anyone goes to LMGTFU I already searched, but maybe not enough :D

I appreciate the info and help. Thanks in advance.

jimf909 and YardBird like this.
  2. Oct 12, 2020 at 11:37 AM
    41bigdawg

41bigdawg Let the BIG DAWG Eat

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 5.7
    Magnum front, Iron Cross rear bumpers, SB Cold air intake and Gibson Metal Mulisha exhaust, Fender flares, Tow mirrors, 18" Outlaw wheels, 12k Smitty X2O winch, Tech 12v auto start, Firestone Air Bags, Pedal Commander, Devil Horns, etc...
    You have the right kit, that is the best one in my experience. I just followed the instructions that come with the kit and never had a problem. There is nothing really difficult about this job just takes time to get everything removed and reinstalled. You can change the cam seals while you are in there. Only thing that may cause problems is the crank bolt, having a good impact wrench really makes that part easy, other than that just keep all the bolts organized so you know what goes where. Should be no problem and you will be ready for another 90K :)

FrenchToasty likes this.
  3. Oct 12, 2020 at 1:34 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Watch the 3 part A1 videos and supplement more watching with Otramm 3 Part Series. Both series have great insights. One trick not mentioned, which I read somewhere, when installing the new belt back on to loosen the bolts on the new tensioner such that the new belt can slip onto the pass side cam easily. Retighten bolts up and pull the tensioner pin.

Just make sure you put all your bolts/screws in labeled baggies to keep track of them. Put the new water pump on the manifold and transfer the old bolts over as you remove them.

I used that same Aisin Kit (nice!) and bought separately a new Aisin Fan Bracket (old bearing was shot) and Accessory Belt Tensioner (new style and seems to have more tension). Also, installed a new Fan Clutch which I guessed was needed and it turns out it was needed. The fan is making more engagement versus the old lazy worn out one speed action. Roaring like it used to do.

I changed my Cam and Crank Seals, but was not needed. Your seals are harder to change due to VVti. My Oil Pump O-Ring was discovered leaking which requires pulling the engine for a .50 cent rubber ring. Not gonna happen. I cleaned things up really good and ran a bead of Toyota 103 on the seam gap in hopes of trapping the oil in and around the O-Ring cavity.

A professional shop quoted 2 days job. Took me 3 as I did lots of cleaning and precision work along the way. Also installed a New Alternator, Radiator, All Coolant Hoses, and Gates Heavy Duty Accessory Belt.

Check it out on my build page. Start at post #193 for the timing belt stuff. Your having the FSM helps in addition to the videos.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/the...nt-‘build’-a-chronological-story.46816/page-7

Voss, Lil Steve and bassman417 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top