1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thoughts on these used Tundras?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by jennijac89, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Aug 28, 2020 at 10:41 PM
    jennijac89

jennijac89 [OP] New Member

Member:
    We are looking at purchasing a Tundra, and would love feedback from experienced Tundra owners.

Our wish list includes:

- 5.7L
    - Tow Package
    - largest cab (I think its the crewmax)
    - Leather Seats
    - ~$20k

In our searches, we have found a 2011 Tundra Grade that checks all of our boxes, but it has around 135k miles and two minor accidents on carfax.
    https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/5TFEY5F16BX112355

However, we also found what seems to be a little gem. This one has incredibly low mileage, but does not check any of our boxes with the exception of the price.
    https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/5TFRM5F14AX006112
    (When I spoke with this dealership, they advised the images are not the actual truck, but a similar truck. Seats are not leather in the truck).

We would prefer leather seats because we have two small children who are still in car seats but finally forward facing. Giving how messy the boys are, I cringe at the thought of keeping cloth clean.

We intend to use the truck for mostly light duty (trips to the dump, hardware store, etc), but are also considering a travel trailer at some point.

We have a '08 prius with 240k on it with only one repair needed (we haven't even needed brakes, and yes we have taken it to several mechanics to have them done). I am hoping that level of durability translates to the tundra as well, and if it does then a truck with 134k miles is just now getting broken in good, right?

Would we be stupid to pass up the low mileage tundra, despite it not having most of the features on our wishlist? What are some common issues with these models? How well does a travel trailer handle in cross winds with these trucks, and what is a good middle size travel trailer that you are comfortable towing with your tundra?

Thank you!

2. Aug 28, 2020 at 11:03 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Welcome from Wyoming.

Tundras hold their value really well, so you will likely be looking at something with fairly high mileage in your price range, but there are plenty of high mileage tundras running around trouble free. That "Grade" truck sounds like the bare bones work model, especially if the mileage is accurate. Any trucks you are shopping you should plug the VIN in here https://www.toyota.com/owners/my-vehicle/vehicle-specification so you can see what features the truck had from the factory. Good luck in your hunt!

jennijac89[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 28, 2020 at 11:37 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Well, I took my own advice and ran that Tundra Grade, and I was wrong. It's got some solid features. It's a 2WD, so if that matters it is something to consider.

jennijac89[OP] likes this.
  4. Aug 29, 2020 at 12:18 AM
    jennijac89

jennijac89 [OP] New Member

Member:

Thanks for the link! I did Google the vin but didn't have the mental fortitude to dig through the results to make sense of them at the time. I plug the two vin's in and compare them, but I'm going to be honest I don't quite understand how a lot if the specs translate to performance. I need more application examples. I need a chart that measures towing capacity by number of lawn mowers or something.

5. Aug 29, 2020 at 12:39 AM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    Crewmax has the largest cab and the shortest bed.
    One bonus of the crewmax is the sliding rear (backwall) window.
    I had it on my 2005 double cab and loved it.
    I have a slider window on my 2014 double cab SR5 that I never have used.
    I wish it was at least a power horizontal slider like some of the Limiteds have.

For leather you need to look for minimum of a Limited model, unless you can find an SR5 that had leather added (like mine).
    Depending on the year model (I think the 2014 and ^ have these), the Limited should have leather, dual zone climate control, heated seats, and some have sunroofs.
    Platinums and 1794s also have better(?) leather with airconditioned and heated seats and a bunch of other options.
    Platinums and 1794s only come in crewmax, not double cabs.

5.7 and tow package is just something you need to be aware of and actually see it on the truck.
    5.7 will have an 5.7 i-force badge on the front door or fender depending on year model, but i think all Platiums and 1794s have a 5.7 because their badge replaces the 5.7 badge.
    Tow package usually has a mount for a trailer ball, also the dash will have a tow/haul button.

I know I'm not much help, but I'm 4 beers in after getting of work at 1AM..
    I hope all this makes sense.
    I need to go to bed in case the plumber comes early to replace my busted water heater in the morning..

Welcome to the forum from Dallas....

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top