1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Toyota i-Road is the funnest electric vehicle on three wheels

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by T-Rex266, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Jul 5, 2016 at 11:08 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 [OP] Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    I saw this on Jay Lenos garage last week and dug into it some more.

[​IMG]

While typically underpowered, small cars can be a hoot to zip around dense cities. They weave in and out of traffic that trap larger vehicles and more importantly, they're easier to park. The electric Toyota i-Road takes that idea and, like a CSI photo, enhances it until it's hard too believe what's going on is actually real. The three-wheeled electric vehicle does have the same attributes as its tiny brethren, but the first time you turn that wheel, you realize its more fun than a typical urban commuter.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Born out of the idea of combining the compact size of a motorcycle with the safety of a car, the i-Road may look like a rejected light bike prototype from TRON, but the future-forward design delivers when you get behind the wheel. Instead steering with the front wheels, at slower speeds the rear tire turns to direct the vehicle. Once you're actually driving on the road, the cabin actually leans into the turn like a motorcycle. Toyota calls it Active Lean and even though I knew it was about to happen, the first time I cranked the steering wheel, I was surprised and delighted by how much the car tilted.Oddly, when project general manager Akihiro Yanaka decided the i-Road should lean into turns, he wasn't thinking of two-wheeled transportation, he was thinking about the slopes. Because he wanted the vehicle and driver to move in synchronization, he thought of skiing. In fact, the company created a video to show just how the car runs the slalom just like a skier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfhNVRgq1to

Skiing was the last thing on my mind while testing the car on a cone-defined parking-lot track. Instead, the more natural association was with the Vespa I currently use to get around San Francisco. But instead of me leaning for a turn, the car does it for you. Initially, the auto-lean catches you off guard. But after a few laps, I got used to moving in tandem with the peppy i-Road.

The reality is that i-Road will likely appear on these shores the same way the Nissan New Mobility Project (aka Renault Twizy) did. As part of car-sharing solution that gives city dwellers the ability to rent a vehicle for short jaunts. If it does make it here, expect grinning car-sharing drivers hitting corners as fast they can for maximum lean.

The electric motors attached to the front wheels are zippy, but the car tops out at 37 miles per hour. This is purely surface-street city vehicle. But because selling a car that only functions in a urban environment is out of the ordinary in the US, you won't see it in showrooms any time soon. While the company already has car-sharing pilot programs in France and Japan, it's still trying to determine how the i-Road will work in the United States and elsewhere. In fact, the reason the i-Road was available for test drives in San Francisco was because Toyota had invited teams to introduce new business plans for the vehicle.

Source

2. Jul 5, 2016 at 11:35 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Cool, but let me guess . . . will retail for about $20,000 USD :rofl:

3. Jul 5, 2016 at 1:33 PM
    Nor7

Nor7 Chilton Manual Guy

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Limited CM, 5.7L
    Yeah, saw something similar on Top Gear. 3-wheeled vehicles are especially popular in Europe because they're legally defined as motorcycles and cost alot less to register.

4. Jul 5, 2016 at 3:49 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Id be down if I lived in a big city.

5. Jul 6, 2016 at 7:26 AM
    Randy Morton

Randy Morton Life takes its toll, please have exact change.

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Deepinahearta, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Double Cab, Beta Variant (I call it my Land Yacht)
    Cool. I can buy it as a backup and park it in the back of the Tundra.

Products Discussed in

To Top