1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The shine is wearing off! Dealer says I need new tires after 30k?!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by alimbert, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Sep 30, 2019 at 12:59 PM
    alimbert

alimbert [OP] New Member

Member:
    Stock 2017 CrewMax. 27k miles. Took it in for my 25k service and the dealer thinks I should be getting new tires in 5-10k. WTF?! Bridgestone Duelers only last 30k? Set my expectations. Am I expecting too much? If I am replacing these, what am I replacing them with so I get more than 30k?

DalTee and Rica25 like this.
  2. Sep 30, 2019 at 1:02 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Check the thread depth yourself and see if true. I've never used that tire so I couldn't tell you how long they would last under normal driving conditions.

BTBAKER, ColoradoTJ and zcarpenter92 like this.
  3. Sep 30, 2019 at 1:04 PM
    AZTundra

AZTundra No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    My 2017 came with the Michelin LTX tires. I'll have 50K on them within this week and they still look pretty good. Thinking they will need to be replaced ~60K.

Tierhog, YardBird and Rex Kramer like this.
  4. Sep 30, 2019 at 1:05 PM
    Metro14536

Metro14536 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green SR5 CM TRDOR 4x4
    That can’t be true...
    I have 17k on my duelers on my 18 Sequoia and the dealership said they look like I have driven only 1,000 miles on them

5. Sep 30, 2019 at 1:06 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Always get a second opinion. Dealerships are always "Upselling"....

6. Sep 30, 2019 at 1:30 PM
    Medic343

Medic343 5+4+3=2

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    '22 SR5 TRD off-road
    I'd say they are full of it, you should get at least 40-50k out of the stock tires. Now if you were running KO2s I'd say that's about right, I'm about to replace mine and they are at about 30k miles

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  7. Sep 30, 2019 at 1:33 PM
    RollTide82

RollTide82 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 4x4
    My dealership charges 30 bucks to clean battery terminals....assholes

Darkness, Alaska, sundance and 5 others like this.
  8. Sep 30, 2019 at 1:48 PM
    Chief P

Chief P New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    TX - Texas
    Vehicle:
    '17 Blue CM Ltd TRD 4x4
    I swear it has something to do with factory tires. I worked at Discount Tire and it always seemed like factory tires were worn out at 35-40k, but we would replace them with the exact same tires and they'd go 60-100k. Its the same with the tires on my '17 Crewmax. I'm at 37k on my factory Michelin A/T2s and I'm going to have to replace them soon, but the A/T2 is a 60k mile tire at least. I've seen guys get 90k on them. It's a strange phenomenon.

9. Sep 30, 2019 at 1:52 PM
    Trooper2

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    It wouldn't surprise me if tire MFG's sell an inferior / technically low life tire to the automakers for a lower price. Knowing many owners replace with same tires and charge full retail when needed. All a Conspiracy I tell you!

jeffh81, DalTee, Toyotoholic and 4 others like this.
  10. Sep 30, 2019 at 1:52 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    My 2013 tires were done right at 30k miles. And that was with rotating them every 5k miles. The next set I bought were Toyo AT2 Extremes. I rotated them every 5k miles. They lasted 100k miles. Hell of a difference in longevity. I'm now on my 2nd set of those Toyos. They are the best tire I've ever come across.

Toyotoholic and don3032 like this.
  11. Sep 30, 2019 at 1:55 PM
    Tundyfundy

Tundyfundy Petunia The Tundra, and her sidekick Colbie

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey DC SR5 4x4 2016
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    Like hot dogs pack of 10, buns pack of 8. Lol

12. Sep 30, 2019 at 2:00 PM
    Trooper2

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    My wife has leased two GX470's, Michelin on one Bridgestone on the other. 20k miles on both, they were toast. Luckily wife doesn't put many miles on her vehicles, turned them both in for new towards end of lease. I do think the tires were soft and over loaded for comfort, all time 4wd didn't help either.

In an RX350 now, interested to see how these tires hold up. More sporty tire for sure on lighter front wheel drive vehicle.

DoubleJackOnTap likes this.
  13. Sep 30, 2019 at 2:04 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I’ll show them, I use a slice of bread for the last two. Boom Shakalaka

14. Sep 30, 2019 at 2:11 PM
    Rngr188

Rngr188 Ranked the best new member of all time

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison AR
    Vehicle:
    2020 1794 MGM TRD OR
    My factory Michelins started getting punctures and looking bad so at 23k I installed my Ridge Grapplers. Stock tires a P-metric and shouldn't be on a truck as heavy as a Tundra so look at going LT preferably the Michelin m/s2.

CMB and AZBoatHauler like this.
  15. Sep 30, 2019 at 2:14 PM
    Mnorris1206

Mnorris1206 Super white is fast as f***

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra
    6" lift kit 35" tires with cold air intake and exhaust
    I'm about right at 30k on my ko2s 35" tires I'm not looking forward to another 1300.00 purchase but I do like the tire alot.

Medic343[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Sep 30, 2019 at 2:32 PM
    Chief P

Chief P New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    TX - Texas
    Vehicle:
    '17 Blue CM Ltd TRD 4x4
    That's my guess too, but I have put a worn factory tire side-by-side with a new one before and cannot for the life of me see a difference.

Trooper2[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Oct 1, 2019 at 6:11 PM
    TNTundra7

TNTundra7 New Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 4WD 5.7L
    Bilstein 5100s, TRD RSB, TRD Wheels
    Bridgestone Duellers came on mine as well. Dealership marked that they were close to needing replaced at 25k as well. Our local tire shop (which is fairly reputable/honest) told me that often cheaper versions of good tires are indeed put on new vehicles. Checked them myself and they were definitely getting close to needing replaced. Bought some from said tire shop. The next time I had service on my truck at Toyota dealership, I inquired about this with one of the service managers who is also reliable/honest and he basically confirmed the same thing.

@alimbert @Trooper2

18. Oct 1, 2019 at 7:08 PM
    dlowry81

dlowry81 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra Doublecab
    It's a known fact that OEM tires don't have same tread depth as regular tires. I've never reached 40k on stock tires yet and that's on a 4runner, Camry, 2 Tundras, and a Sienna.

Trooper2 and AZBoatHauler like this.
  19. Oct 1, 2019 at 7:18 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I replaced my duelers at about 25k because I wanted to. They had plenty of life left on them, I would say 10-15k more miles easily. I wanted Michelin defenders so I sold my duelers on craigslist and got defenders, which should last me as long as I own the truck. Defenders have been known to go 80k+ and some say 100k. My GF went thru 2 full sets of tires in the first 60k miles on her AWD highlander, then finally talked her into defenders and she's got 40k on them and they look new still.

CMB and Trooper2 like this.
  20. Oct 1, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    WILLINH

WILLINH New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BILL
    NEW HAMPTON, NH
    2019 TUNDRA
    I have never got more than 30-35,000 on original stock tires. They are always wear out quick.

619Tundra and Trooper2 like this.
  21. Oct 1, 2019 at 8:07 PM
    Rngr188

Rngr188 Ranked the best new member of all time

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison AR
    Vehicle:
    2020 1794 MGM TRD OR
    I'm on another forum that has a member who works at a Michelin factory, he swears there is no difference between OEM vs of the shelf, I don't believe him. My previous vehicle had Goodyear's that were OEM and shot at about 35k, my Tundra's Michelins were catching debris and I'd get them patched but after getting a flat on a gravel road at 23k I replaced them with LT instead of P-metric.

22. Oct 1, 2019 at 8:23 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I for one, do not believe that tire manufacturers make crappier tires for car manufacturers to use. It wouldn't make sense for them to cheap out and risk their name. It would make sense that they would want the consumer to stick with their brand tires when it comes time to replace them.
    In fact I am pretty sure some tire companies make higher performing "OEM" tires specifically for certain cars.

23. Oct 1, 2019 at 8:48 PM
    knoxville36

knoxville36 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation w/3.0 Duramax
    We got 61k on our 17 4Runner with Yokohama Geolanders. Got 68k on our Nissan Rogue with Dunlop's. Our Acadia went 51k but cannot remember the tires, Goodyear? All bought new.

It makes no real sense to try and change out materials, machinery settings, etc.... by tire manufacturers.

I have no real explanation for the mileage as we have never gotten less than 50k out of any tires. My wife and I have drive a lot and out on about 80k miles per year together. We have been through a lot of tires....

I have tried them all Goodyear, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Cooper, etc..... Michelin's absolutely set the bar on passenger truck and car tires. Hands down they have been the quietest and longest lasting tires.

No problems with the Duellers on the Tundra through 23k Miles, but I am counting down to the second that Michelin Defender/LTX MS2's go on!!!

Pudge likes this.
  24. Oct 1, 2019 at 8:52 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I couldn't wait any longer. I lasted a year on the duelers and sold them on craigslist for $300 while they still had some life left on that.

25. Oct 1, 2019 at 11:24 PM
    Scuba

Scuba Sober member

Member:
    Austin, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Texas Edition CM.
    False.

619Tundra likes this.
  26. Oct 2, 2019 at 12:22 AM
    Racingjohndeere55

Racingjohndeere55 New Member

Member:
    Ask Firestone

Pudge[QUOTED] and Skey44 like this.
  27. Oct 2, 2019 at 12:33 AM
    ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan The mind is willing but the flesh is weak

Member:
    Canada, by way of Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 MGM
    NVS light bar
    Meh, I haven’t had tires on my trucks last much past 35k so I wouldn’t be surprised if they were toast. There’s a LOT of weight bearing down on those passenger tires.

28. Oct 2, 2019 at 2:55 AM
    ed3trd

ed3trd New Member

Member:
    2017 Silver Crewmax 4x4 Off Road
    I have the Michelin, normal road conditions in FL are anything but normal. Heat, sand all very abrasive. I have always been told that they are a soft tire.
    I drive mostly highway 70 mph ,rotate at 5000,but at 30,000 they won't last past 35,000.
    I had the Goodyear Duratracs on my last Tundra go 45,000 so going back to them.

29. Oct 2, 2019 at 5:04 AM
    Skey44

Skey44 GreenvilleOverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 GX 460
    Lift, tires, wheels, roof rack
    Had to replace my wife’s Honda Pilot’s Bridgestones at 13k. We were getting punctures every couple of weeks and one finally happened in the sidewall. The oem Bridgestone are reviewed horribly with short life span in this car. Not to mention the ride that starts off soft and quiet and after 10k turns hard and loud. Went with Michelin LTX defender, happy so far. Hope they last as well as other defenders I’ve had on my Prius in the past. At least discount tire gave us $90 for the three remaining tires. Feel sorry for whoever ends up with those.

30. Oct 2, 2019 at 5:06 AM
    Skey44

Skey44 GreenvilleOverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 GX 460
    Lift, tires, wheels, roof rack
    I agree to double check the tread wear. If you don’t have or want to buy the tool, use a penny. There’s plenty of instructions for this online.

Products Discussed in

To Top