1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The EXPO TRON Build

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by TRON, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Aug 24, 2016 at 10:58 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Try following your own advice. Isn't it time to go play on some rocks somewhere?

2. Aug 24, 2016 at 11:19 AM
    650h1

650h1 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rock Warrior C/M
    A pissing contest with one of the most respected members here is probably not in your best interests man...

3. Aug 24, 2016 at 11:53 AM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
  4. Aug 24, 2016 at 12:24 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I can handle it. I' m not actually a newbie here. There are many facets to off roading. It's not exclusive to long travel setups and rock crawlers. Doesn't mean that those of us that aren't setup like that don't take what we do seriously or are inferior some how. I'm not into belittling someone long distance using a key pad. I enjoy what I do with my Tundra. A lot of us do iregardless of what a few individuals think. I've been around for awhile. Not my first rodeo.

CaptTyler likes this.
  5. Aug 24, 2016 at 12:29 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Definitely not a newbie. Only 2 people with more posts than you are Brian and Sean...

6. Aug 24, 2016 at 1:01 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    My comment was in regards to TRONs wheeling pics with his full size Tundra. Why do I have to get over myself? It's getting to the point that you can't even complement someone here. These asinine comments are getting a little a stale.

7. Aug 24, 2016 at 1:09 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 The Mad Scientist Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum, 2012 Tacoma, 2007 T4R
    Metric shit ton of parts
    The get over yourself comment was to the condescending little passive aggressive douche comment clearly aimed at me. Don't play like it was unintentional.

Sefferston and 650h1 like this.
  8. Aug 24, 2016 at 2:04 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Serious off-road!!!!!

zcarpenter92 and Black Wolf like this.
  9. Aug 24, 2016 at 2:10 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Totally unintentional. Check the time I posted that comment. 7:52 AM yesterday morning!! Was in response to a previous remark posted on the forum concerning how land cruisers are too oversized for serious off roading.You are going to have to do better than that, although you are pretty witty with words. :thumbsup: This is too easy.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  10. Aug 24, 2016 at 2:39 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Maybe we should have a "hard core" off roading, "serious" off roading, and apparently a "Matt's lame ass" off roading category thread. See I have sense of humor. (I apologize in advance to the other Matts here):oldglory:

11. Aug 24, 2016 at 2:54 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
  12. Aug 24, 2016 at 3:11 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    You are correct Ron. Problem is I'm usually by myself and dog. It sucks wheeling by yourself sometimes. I'll stop and take some pics were it's reasonable to do so. There are some places going up Missouri Gulch that's pure bed rock with some decent sized rock's sticking up. Big enough to require some kind of lift. My bullshit OEM fake skid plate is pretty fracked up. Wish I had a Go Pro to show how easy/hard certain spots are. I know Brian and Wynnded know what I'm talking about. I never claimed where I go is near impassable for our trucks. Scratches of course. A given. Certainly not comparable to rock crawling. You have to watch out for the other guy too. It's crazy to have to nitpick over stuff like this here but I don't mind:thumbsup:.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  13. Aug 24, 2016 at 9:08 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins Laramie
    IG: PLC721
    Does @TRON even go offroad?

sdhq_offroad, 650h1 and TRON[OP] like this.
  14. Aug 25, 2016 at 1:31 AM
    TRON

TRON [OP] Is LIVE on the GRID.

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefen
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    IG: @ST3F3NS
    DUROBUMPS Use TRON10 for 10% Off & Free Shipping
    What's offroading?.... :spy:

15. Aug 25, 2016 at 5:38 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    You were off the road. You always take great pics by the way. :thumbsup:

16. Aug 25, 2016 at 8:38 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins Laramie
    IG: PLC721
    Hmm not sure yet, maybe when i'm grown up i'll know! Heres some pics for you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we have the fun toys that go pew pew
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  17. Oct 4, 2016 at 6:44 AM
    TRON

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefen
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Mount Graham - Safford, AZ September 2016

Dzil Nchaa Si An (Big Seated Mountain) is one of the most sacred locations known to the Apache Native Americans. Ga’an, the guardian spirits of the Apache, watch over them from atop the largest summit in Southern Arizona at just over 10,000 feet. The University of Arizona and believe it or not, the Vatican own and operate massive telescopes planted right on top of this sacred mountain more commonly known as, Mount Graham. After all the cool stories about and researching Mount Graham, my dad had me convinced this is where we would plan our weekend camp trip. I was pretty excited to camp with just my dad just like we used to when I was growing up, and once we hit about 7,000 feet the intense smell of pine and thick clouds started to make me feel like a little kid all over again!
    [​IMG]

We literally picked the perfect time to go, right after a week long rain from a tropical storm. The clouds were thick and heavy but would soon clear out. Once we rose above the cloud cover it was pretty majestic. The road turned to dirt around 8,500 feet and it seemed like every switchback continuing up had a massive river flowing underneath. This was just the first...and we could actually fish from it for trout!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then a couple more miles later we find ourselves jaw dropping in awe. Now I do have to remind you guys, I'm born and raised in AZ so anything related to water is like finding a unicorn! My dad was born in Ohio, but this has allowed him to truly appreciate AZ and the hidden wonders it has to offer. Back to the story, we drove up to and parked at Post Creek. I'll just let the pictures do the rest....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obviously TRON needed some glamour shots in front of a freaking waterfall in AZ! Overland and Bound #1325 :cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Old Growth up there was fantastic! Had to keep reminding myself we were still in AZ
    [​IMG]

...and my money shot!
    [​IMG]

So the San Carlos Apache Reservation did succeed in keeping a vast majority of the mountain protected. All it took was alittle convincing they had an endangered species...I laughed when we got up there and found literally hundreds of these "endangered" little red squirrels everywhere!
    [​IMG]

Finding our camp was another surprise in itself. With the lack of info floating around it was hard to pinpoint good areas to camp on the mountain outside of the established camping grounds with fees. I honestly cant stand camping grounds, to me it's not camping and way to civilized! Luckily after some serious digging, I found some info on an area off the main road to camp. All I had going in were some coordinates, which were not 100% accurate, but put me close enough to find this old camp someone setup awhile back. Once we got there my dad had that look of curiosity to keep searching and after all, we were literally the only ones on the mountain except for a couple forest service officers and the observatory employees. Under the leaves and some overgrowth moss we found a small two-track that continued on from that camp. Absolutely no tire tracks on it, and with all the recent rain it was covered in mud and huge ponds of water. We drove further back and were amazed at the beauty. All the different types of trees with fresh rain water dripping off, THEN...we got to a small fork in the two-track which encouraged a right turn over small hill. I'll explain why as we go, but what we strolled up on was hands down the best camp site of all time! My dad and I were speechless at first, but once we actually did speak, all we could say was "Really?!":eek::bowdown:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We knew immediately it was time to set camp and enjoy this gorgeous spot. Also should note back home in Tucson it was roughly 94 degrees, while we were getting slight chills in the 55 degree crisp mountain air :cool:
    [​IMG]
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Someone had spent a ton of time here before us, even cut out sections and leveled them out for ground tents (not just one, but many)! My dad and I couldn't figure out if the rain had washed out all the debris on the ground or if the people before us also swept it out. Either way they were kind enough to leave us plenty of firewood to start, already cut and stacked....just too much awesome to comprehend! :cheers:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now if you remember, I said I would explain why this was the best camp spot of all time...notice the small hill just passed our camp in previous pictures. A small 30 second hike up that hill just beyond our camp led to this!!
    [​IMG]

I felt blessed to be able to enjoy this awesome surprise with my Dad! After all, he is the reason why I am the adventure seeker that I've become. We walked around on the hilltop and explored abit, all in silence, just taking in the scenery and chill breeze.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Headed back up for a glimpse of the sunset but just missed it! It was still an amazing view as the clouds were rolling in over the mountain tops.
    [​IMG]
    and our fire to end the night....or so we thought...........
    [​IMG]

Around 2am I woke up pretty quick to my Dad yelling at the top of his lungs, HEY! He did it a couple times before I realized something was messing with our small trash bag in between our tents. I'll be honest, we both were thinking worst case scenario since there are bears up there. As soon as I folded the window down on my roof top tent I almost started laughing. There he was, little asshole skunk with absolutely no shits given. He was taking what he wanted, an empty can of chili beans we made for dinner. Despite our yelling and banging random things to make noise, he buried his head in that can and ignored us. I was pissed, even if I fired a warning shot I was afraid he would spray the camp before leaving. So I crawled out of bed into the cold with my flashlight and S&W .40....stomping on the ground and still making tons of noise, he was not giving up that can. It wasn't until I pointed the flashlight at myself and jumped up and down before he saw me, which only resulted in a stand off. He didn't even turn around just stared right back at me and accepted the challenge...oh man I was livid! My dad kept yelling don't shoot it! This lasted for a good 5 minutes before the skunk finally gave up and slowly walked away. Once he was far enough, I fired 2 rounds really close to him to be sure he'd think twice about coming back...little bastard!
    [​IMG]

Later that morning we rolled out of bed and made breakfast to prep for a hike. While researching campsites I found quite a few hiking trails, but one in particular stuck out. Of course I couldn't miss this opportunity to show how much my dad loves his Survivorman shows ;) If you've seen it you'll understand haha
    [​IMG]
    We packed up my RTT and drove to the trailhead no more than 20 minutes away off the main road we drove in on.
    [​IMG]
    My dad caught me too as we were headed up. It wasn't a far hike, just 1.7 miles but it was all uphill and starting at roughly 9,300 ft elevation! My lungs were on fire :bananadead:
    [​IMG]

Alas, we made it! Webb Peak Lookout :oldglory:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So how do you top an awesome first day?...well of course by hiking to a lookout tower and then climbing to the top of said tower right?.....RIGHT!
    [​IMG]

Yea it was awesome! 360 degree views and a beautiful clear day. This lookout tower is open to anyone willing to make the hike. We actually took the easiest route up there and enjoyed the views for quite some time. You can see the massive UofA observatory on the summit of Mount Graham.
    [​IMG]
    Looking toward Tucson we could barely see the Catalinas on the horizon
    [​IMG]
    From recent pics I was expecting to see the map located in the center of the tower, but it appeared someone tore it out :( We did show off our guns tho
    [​IMG]
    Looking down
    [​IMG]

My dad and I agreed we would be back with the rest of the family to explore more of the area. It was too awesome for us to share alone! We made our way back down to Tron and carried on with our last day camping.
    [​IMG]

Love this camp! My dad's setup was pretty awesome too :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This time I wasn't going to miss the sunset!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got some video from this too but couldn't upload it
    [​IMG]

And finally the last morning. It was sad to leave camp, but we had one last hidden gem to check out.
    [​IMG]

Where the road ends at Riggs Lake
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Papa Schmidt signing off from his blog haha :D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  18. Oct 4, 2016 at 6:57 AM
    Relentless

Relentless Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    East of the Sierras(Reno), Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 Crewmax TRD 4x4> '15 Duramax SLT
    Just a few, more to come
    Pretty crazy to think that is AZ. Looks more like Oregon or Northern California. Looks like an awesome trip!

TRON[OP] likes this.
  19. Oct 4, 2016 at 7:38 AM
    TexasMofo

TexasMofo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Great Country of Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    Illegal Tint 2 Shims/ 3 inch Shacke
    Dang I wish we had stuff like this around East Texas. Some of those pics are amazing. Would love to be camping in places like that.

TRON[OP] likes this.
  20. Oct 4, 2016 at 9:44 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    very nice ! thanks for sharing. Man you packed a lot of things for that camping trip.

TRON[OP] likes this.
  21. Oct 5, 2016 at 7:08 AM
    TRON

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefen
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Exactly what we were thinking with the clouds and all! Makes me wanna travel to Oregon even more now
    Yea I'm known for having just about everything while camping. Brings comfort knowing we're prepared for the worst. Also guarantees I'll be buying some heavy duty rear springs similar to @Wikid on his tundra! I don't think I'll be using the bed bars setup much longer either, gunna start looking into shells

Relentless[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Oct 5, 2016 at 7:43 AM
    GTABurnout

GTABurnout New Member

Member:
    Awesome Trip report man...

TRON[OP] likes this.
  23. Oct 5, 2016 at 7:50 AM
    Relentless

Relentless Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    East of the Sierras(Reno), Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 Crewmax TRD 4x4> '15 Duramax SLT
    Just a few, more to come
    Awesome scenery in Oregon. I grew up there, lived in southern Oregon for 18 years. Exploring in the Cascades is always a good time, lots of mountain lakes. And if you head out to the coast of course you have the rugged coastline on the south coast that turns into smooth beaches and dunes that you can cruise around as you get a bit farther north. And then eastern Oregon is a lot of high desert type exploring.

24. Oct 30, 2016 at 5:57 AM
    soloshairtrigger

soloshairtrigger New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black TRD Pro
    Beautiful

TRON[OP] likes this.
  25. Nov 24, 2016 at 9:00 AM
    J4RR3N4

J4RR3N4 New Member

Member:
    South east Texas
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra
    3” lift on 35’s
    How'd you get the patches to stick to the headliner?

ReCKzX likes this.
  26. Dec 5, 2016 at 5:32 AM
    TRON

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefen
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Carefully push really hard and work the Velcro hooks into the headliner fabric :thumbsup:

dcsleeper408 likes this.
  27. Dec 5, 2016 at 6:59 AM
    J4RR3N4

J4RR3N4 New Member

Member:
    South east Texas
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra
    3” lift on 35’s
    Haha thanks! I literally just got back from doing that. The headliner in my Tacoma was different so they stuck well.

TRON[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  28. Dec 5, 2016 at 9:56 AM
    Zharris

Zharris Merica!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super White 4x4 Crewmax
    Looks awesome man.

TRON[OP] likes this.
  29. Dec 20, 2016 at 3:34 AM
    TRON

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefen
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    I need to get caught up with all my pictures! Got an iPhone 7 and had to figure out how to upload everything all over again haha. Be prepared for a massive pic dump :cool:

dcsleeper408 and TheBeast like this.
  30. Dec 20, 2016 at 3:47 AM
    TRON

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefen
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    96 Ranch Road to Oracle Junction and Mount Lemon - September 2016

Squad met up and we did some high speed mobbing!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Leading the way...you could say I was slightly ahead of everyone else :cool:
    [​IMG]

96 Ranch is abandoned, but a cool little attraction in the middle of the desert near Oracle, AZ
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TRON and @PLC721
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made our way to Oracle then up the Control Road to Mt. Lemon. We stopped to check out the Peppersauce Caves since some guys had never been. Of course I left my phone in the truck while we went spelunking.....so no pics
    [​IMG]
    Trevor's white 2008 Tacoma with my old SR8 wheels off my Tacoma :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Playing around at the top with droop and full stuff. It was definitely a fun day trip with a good group of friends!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top