1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The engine mystery deepens...

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by N3Media, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Mar 28, 2017 at 10:10 AM
    N3Media

N3Media [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tundra LTD 4.7L
    Long tube headers, Magna flow exhaust, Cold air intake, 300k miles on stock non adjusted engine.
    Hello all,
    I have been trying to work through a problem with my 2000 SR5 4.7. this engine has 260k miles, and until fairly recently ran great. This is a 2UZ-FE Non VVTi

The Issue: According to code reader, misfire 1,3,5,7, and rich on that bank. Run rough at idle and really rough around the 1900-2400rpm range, can smell raw fuel from exhaust when giving it some throttle.

Whats been done so far: 1 new coil pack on cylinder 7. Reman injectors, injector plugs have been noid tested, and all injectors read proper resistance. new plugs gapped correctly. New timing belt and pulleys, triple checked timing marks on crank and cams, it is spot on. I have checked all valve clearances, and they all fall within the middle of their given spec range. It has all new O2 sensors (4 of them). New MAF sensor. New water pump. New starter. All fuses have been checked. Battery ground is also solid.

I am at a loss for what is happening with my engine. With no other codes for any issues, I'm not sure what to do.
    I took it to the local toyota dealership for a diagnostic. They claimed the tech whom worked on my truck was certified higher than a master tech.?
    I was told i had half compression on cylinder 5 (90psi) and most likely had a burn valve and they recommended replacing my engine with a used unit, due to the cost of a valve or head job.....
    I was a loss, when i took it home and found full compression on all cylinders (165-180psi) as well as perfect valve clearances and valves. When confronted the dealership said that they had never seen a tundra with my kind of milage and that my engines parts were close to the end of their life, as well as stating that the low compression they found was most likely due to the cylinder being washed down with fuel. (which if you were some fantastically highly certified tech, you would have been able to discern from all the fuel in the cylinders on that bank!)

So pretty much, no one can figure out what is going on, and the "professionals" made ME feel smart.

Do I have a bad ECU or PCM? Have I possibly sheared the pin on the cam gear? (read about this in another forum post)
    I have a job and trip this coming weekend, and hoping to perform a miracle of getting the beast running again!!!
    I would gladly reward whom ever can help me figure this out, with a case of your favorite adult beverage! (if thats allowed here)

Thank You

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  2. Mar 28, 2017 at 10:22 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Where do the coil packs on that side of the engine get their signal? Is it feasible to swap all the coil packs from one bank to the other to see if the cylinder specific misfire code follow the coil packs? @LOTSOFTOYS is our resident Toyota Technician, I'm sure he's well versed on the 4.7L.

3. Mar 28, 2017 at 10:29 AM
    N3Media

N3Media [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    Long tube headers, Magna flow exhaust, Cold air intake, 300k miles on stock non adjusted engine.
    I have not done this yet. They are fairly easily swappable, but seeming as how I have not gotten error codes signaling a faulty coil, since replacing the one bad coil on cylinder 7, I figure the rest are good, but this might be worth a try. At this point, I'd try unicorn farts, if that'd fix the problem.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  4. Mar 28, 2017 at 10:36 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Are you sure the timing is dead on the money? 2uz-fe is a interference engine.

5. Mar 28, 2017 at 10:37 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Ya, my not knowing if on the 4.7L if each cyl. has it's own coil or not. Or if like the engines I've had dealings with, each coil fires two cyl., I'm kind of grasping in the dark. So, just to clarify, with the one coil pack replacement, you're no longer getting ANY codes, but it's still running like rubbish?

6. Mar 28, 2017 at 10:56 AM
    Nor7

Nor7 Chilton Manual Guy

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Limited CM, 5.7L
    Have you had the fuel pressure checked? If the pressure regulator is out, it could be dumping excess fuel instead of recycling it back to the tank.

landphil and 15whtrd like this.
  7. Mar 28, 2017 at 11:14 AM
    N3Media

N3Media [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    Correct, this is why i believe i could have sheared the pin on the cam timing sprocket. All timing marks align, but still runs like the timing is off.

8. Mar 28, 2017 at 11:16 AM
    N3Media

N3Media [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    Correct. each cylinder has its own coil. No code for faulty pack after replacement, but I am getting misfire codes for all cylinders on bank 1 (1,3,5,7).

9. Mar 28, 2017 at 11:19 AM
    N3Media

N3Media [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    I believe this was checked by dealership, but not certain on that. If the return/regulator was faulty, wouldn't this affect both sides of the engine? or only the side with the regulator?

10. Mar 28, 2017 at 11:21 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Okay, that's the rational for asking what signals their firing. Back tracing.

11. Mar 28, 2017 at 11:52 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Does it in fact misfire on all 4 cylinders? If it does it would barely run if at all... need to verify it is actually misfiring on the scan tool on those cylinders

12. Mar 28, 2017 at 12:22 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    What drives the coil packs and could that be intermittent/failing/poorly grounded/connected resulting in the misfire moving thorough all four cylinders intermittently?

13. Mar 28, 2017 at 12:38 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    IF the vaccuum line to the fuel pressure regulator runs to that side of the intake manifold, it could explain the missfires / rich condition on that bank. A leaking diaphragm in the regulator means fuel enters the manifold via the vaccuum line, in addition to what is injected.

14. Mar 28, 2017 at 12:49 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Need to first know of it is actively misfiring in all 4 cylinders

15. Mar 28, 2017 at 12:49 PM
    N3Media

N3Media [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    Not sure if my code reader has that function? So far just the misfire codes. I'll look into the ability of my reader.

16. Mar 28, 2017 at 12:50 PM
    N3Media

N3Media [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    regulator and vacuum line are on the opposite side of engine from my issues.

17. Mar 28, 2017 at 12:55 PM
    N3Media

N3Media [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    Again,
    I'd like to bring up the sheared cam timing sprocket pin. If this was the case, isn't it feasible for all timing marks to align correctly, but the cam with sheared pin could be rotated slightly?
    This issue has occurred to another forum member, his cam was about 25 degrees off, head showed no damage besides the sheared pin, he was able to have a shop remove damaged pin and reassemble engine. it is now running good as new. How common is that!?

18. Mar 28, 2017 at 1:34 PM
    landphil

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    Yeah, I see that, I dug up a diagram of the 2UZ-FE fuel plumbing and rails. A restriction between the two rails could force the fuel pressure higher on the left bank, otherwise everything is common to both banks. Make sure the crossover tube isn't damaged or kinked if you haven't already. I also wonder if a failed pressure pulsation damper on the back of the left rail would effect that bank more. (Item 23270 in this diagram - don't look at the prices, it's Canadian :) )

http://www.toyotapartsdirect.ca/a/T...uel-injection-system/220746D-2211-841420.html

Cam timing could be a possibility, but it's not out 25 degrees if you are getting compression numbers like you are. And I'd second Jace's suggestion of looking at live missfire data, something basic code readers won't help you with. A pro-grade scanner or Toyota Techstream would be needed.

Lets go back to the beginning though, how did this issue begin?

19. Mar 28, 2017 at 3:33 PM
    landphil

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    You could also try loosening the exhaust flange on the left manifold and see how it runs, it might be a plugged / melted Cat.

20. Mar 28, 2017 at 5:56 PM
    N3Media

N3Media [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    This started back in january, truck started running rough, upon investigation i found a small leak at water pump, and seeming as how all of those components had over 150k miles on them, figured it was time to do some maintenance. I did end up throwing some parts at it that maybe weren't needed right then, but I looked at it as preventative maintenance.

THIS JUST IN!!!!!!!!

so I swapped all the coils from driver side to passenger side and suddenly had a misfire on cylinder 6. All misfires previous to this change were on 1,3,5,7. Performed a couple redundancy test to confirm this. Replaced that coil and the truck is running much better, but trill has a rough patch or misfire in the 2500 rpm range, runs smooth above and below that. Will be performing a leak down test on all cylinders tomorrow to confirm no valve or ring issues.

21. Mar 29, 2017 at 11:49 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    With a better scab tool u can watch live data of what is happening. Sounds like u are headed in the right direction. Alot of times one cylinder will miss but the computer sets codes for multiple...

22. Apr 19, 2017 at 6:30 AM
    airo4424

airo4424 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    2004 Sequoia 4.7l 2wd
    What is the status and fix for your issue! I have done the same fixes as yours and still nothing. Please post of any new findings, Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top