1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What do you eat in a day?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by GODZILLA, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Feb 10, 2023 at 3:34 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA [OP] Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Did a quick search in this section of the forum for "diet" in thread titles and I was surprised to see nothing pop up. My guess is that most of the dietary discussion has happened over in the gym/workout thread as general physical health will usually involve the discussion of both, but I'd like to try and get a more diet focused perspective for this thread. If you're after the gym/workout thread here's your link https://www.tundras.com/threads/gym-workouts.67/

Edit for clarification: I mean "diet" as what do you eat, not what are you doing to try and lose weight. Definition 1 in the pic, NOT definition 2.

upload_2023-2-14_3-27-9.jpg

Goals of this thread are to share diets, diet experiences, recipes and info in a way that lets people read, review, discuss, compare, and analyze in a friendly and cooperative way.

This thread is not for macho bros and ego hoes to shout down anything that isn't their specific plan/preference. This isn't the place to preach your dietary theology as law, but rather a place to share with an open mind and a respect for other's rights to choose. Have fun and crack jokes. That means remove the stick from your ass and lighten up, but don't run people down if they don't do what you do. If anyone gets shitty I'll 100% ask mods to clean it up and reply ban repeat offenders.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
    bflooks, Outbound, ElNopal and 4 others like this.
  2. Feb 10, 2023 at 3:47 AM
    Notarobot

Notarobot Jagged lines!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 CM
    As someone that's a little over 6' and only 130lbs, I'd like to see some weight gaining diets that don't include chalky powdered "milkshakes" 10 times a day. I get that it's about caloric intake vs output, but I don't have time to eat 8 times a day.

3. Feb 10, 2023 at 3:55 AM
    nobodyintexas

nobodyintexas What?

Member:
    South of Houston
    Vehicle:
    S/C'd 2020 White 1794 Tundra
    Whatever this forum told me to do
    watch Dave Tate's table talk with JM Blakley.

JM teaches you how to gain weight. and JM is quite accomplished - having multiple bench records at 5 different weight classes

Tl:dr - eat a lot...and put olive oil on EVERYTHING

I was 155 going into college ( 6'1")....started training & plateaued at 201. took 2 years.

Then I learned to eat....242lbs came easy. I was my strongest.

If you are going to be heavy, you better be damn strong, otherwise it's just fat.

do large compound movements. Skwat, bench, deadlift, pullups. all that other shit is.....shit. please don't start with the kettlebell talk.

PB&J's are your friend....as well as Chocolate milk.

flame away.

4. Feb 10, 2023 at 3:58 AM
    nobodyintexas

nobodyintexas What?

Member:
    South of Houston
    Vehicle:
    I'm attempting the Intermittent Fasting thing...Dr. Berg's youtube channel is interesting.

however...we cater a lot of O&G meetings here....and those boys eat.

so, it's not going well......

5. Feb 10, 2023 at 3:59 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    I'm short, fat, and getting old. Those are 3 separate problems. Together they are not particularly fun so I've been bumbling around the internet for a while looking at all kinds of things that might help me with the only one that I have any control over, and that's being fat. I've never been skinny in my life, so this is an attempt to reach a summit I've never seen before. All while loving food and hating exercise.

I've had limited but temporary success with a self imposed low carb/keto attempt and with Nutrisystem in the past. The keto was not well planned or researched, so it only lasted a short while. Nutrisystem had the largest actual impact in weight loss, but it's absurdly expensive and it's basically just processed TV dinners in low calorie/small portions to create a calorie deficit. Trouble was that I was never really satiated. You ate something every 2-3 hours for a 12 hour stretch, but never felt full. When I was tired of paying for a monthly food subscription that only covered 3 weeks, and I cancelled it. It had built the habit of eating every few hours, but going off the plan left me over indulging and I gained back all the fat and then some.

Anyway, my internet bumblings brought me to this video. I've got it set to start a fair way into the video, but the whole thing up to this point has been interesting. It's just this part that has me wanting to try a better diet, but with better planning and food.

https://youtu.be/cXbKMwdLz5M?t=2067

6. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:04 AM
    Taco-Spike

Taco-Spike Gateway from Tacoma World ~ ended up here

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
    You opposed to juicing? I make my own juice every week.

7. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:05 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Have you had your blood pressure checked recently? I ask because I worked with a guy that was rail thin even though he ate more than I did and was a vegetable in his off time. Turned out that his smoking and other stuff had his heart rate through the roof. His doc put him on a blood pressure med that slowed it down to normal and in a real short time he shot up from 150 pounds to 210. Now, that was a garbage diet that was finally catching up to him and he wasn't adding muscle, but he said he felt way better with some weight on. If you are in a similar situation getting it regulated and a better diet might let you gain healthier weight than he did.

BravoDeltaRomeo likes this.
  8. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:08 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    I think health and diet are pretty individual. I'm not opposed to anything. Is juicing a diet, or is it just a way to prepare certain foods?

ToyoMafia likes this.
  9. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:12 AM
    nobodyintexas

nobodyintexas What?

Member:
    South of Houston
    Vehicle:
    Good topic!

I too am interested in hearing from folks that did one of these diets for extended periods of time & how that worked out.

most, if not all, of the folks I talk to never do those diets longer than a few months. it's weird.

the folks that had long term success, just ate good, trained & WALKED.

small sidebar-

another diet/health related necessity is: if you snore even a little bit...Get a CPAP.

it's going to add 5 years to your life, lower your blood pressure & you will sleep like a cadaver.

then the rest of your life gets better.

PolishedTRD likes this.
  10. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:15 AM
    Taco-Spike

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Two Trucks
    Can be used as a meal / snack Replacement. Just fruit / vegetable juice. Low calorie, lots of vitamins, nutrients that most people won’t typically eat in a daily routine.
    also making from fresh produce takes out a lot of added processed sugars and preservatives for a more clean lifestyle

11. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:17 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    This thread was kinda kicked off by the "What I've Learned" yootoob channel. The first thing I watched of his was his video on eating tons of eggs. It was shocking to see his medical info that just flies in the face of the food pyramid and all the "eggs will kill you" that I heard for decades growing up. Linking it in case anyone else is scared of eggs or throws out the yolks thinking it's saving their heart.

https://youtu.be/1Hh25TRG8p4

12. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:19 AM
    Taco-Spike

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Two Trucks
    I always eat my yolk. Mmmmm

13. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:20 AM
    Notarobot

Notarobot Jagged lines!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 CM
    I have regular Dr appointments every 6 weeks. So far my BP cruises around 120/80. I do smoke though and that's a problem in itself. I've been a rail my entire life. My father is shorter and a little heavier than I, but still a thin guy. I'm genetically never going to weigh +200lbs, but I'd still like to see at least 150, ideally 170.

GODZILLA[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  14. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:22 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Give the video in post 11 watch. He put on about 12 pounds IIRC.

Notarobot[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:32 AM
    FlyingWolfe

FlyingWolfe Wolfie

Member:
    First Name:
    Crystal
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Inferno
    Intermittent fasting, or forgetting to eat in my case, and its always been calories in/calories out and not eating processed garbage for me to maintain the same weight since high school (im now almost 36 and have always been 118-122lbs). I also dont drink alcohol so im sure that plays a role. My husband lost 20lbs just from quitting drinking several years back.
    Used to be a competitive fitness model once upon a time and had to lean down to 108# for a comp which sucked a bag of dicks, and was done by basically starving myself over the course of a month.
    Not a fan of ‘diets’. Tend to not last and when people expect immediate results and dont get them they fall off the wagon and usually rebound higher than they started. Simple lifestyle changes (replacing soda with water, chips with carrots, etc) can make a huge difference.
    Tried the keto bs to humor it and was physically ill about six months in with weird icy/numb sensations at the base of my skull, bp went from average 100/60 to 125/80 during it even though I was still running and lifting 4-5 days per week.. and my weight didnt change.

16. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:35 AM
    Ohannon7

Ohannon7 New Member

Member:
    Central Fl
    Vehicle:
    2013 5.7 4WD CM Bench-Seat Silver
    6” Pro Comp 37’s Custom audio and interior Off road capability is current focus
    I’m on that “I eat less food so I can buy mods for my Tundra” diet.

it works!

17. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:37 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Very interesting experiences. I'm not sure how to differentiate the two meanings of diet in a title, with one being food consumed and the other being a regimen intended for changes in physique.

I'm with you on healthy little changes being a net good, but can I be nosy and ask what your diet generally consists of?

18. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:37 AM
    nobodyintexas

nobodyintexas What?

Member:
    South of Houston
    Vehicle:

well said.

Consistent training and eating well will always outperform a "diet" for a healthy life.

We have incisors for a reason....so eat meat.

19. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:39 AM
    FlyingWolfe

FlyingWolfe Wolfie

Member:
    First Name:
    Crystal
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Breakfast is usually cold oats and almond milk if I eat at all, snacks at work are my little half cup jar of blueberries or a nana, and some baby carrots, lunch is usually a folded slice of bread with peanut butter, and then I dont eat until dinner which is usually protein and rice or veggies. Pretty much the same every day. Drives my husband bonkers. :rofl:

I’ll add that im a pipeline field tech so I do a pretty physically demanding job but my body usually handles it without pounding calories. When its cold out though I get hangry faster than usual.

20. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:45 AM
    Taco-Spike

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Two Trucks
    You call them nanas too? I thought it was just me

21. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:51 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Though I mostly agree, it is much easier said than done. I hate exercise. Everyone always talks about feeling so great after a workout, and boosted energy levels. I've never had that. After a workout I just feel like dog $#!7. Doesn't matter if it's cardio, weights, whatever. First time, or after doing it for weeks it's always just been miserable for me. That was when I was younger. Now I'm in a fun limbo point of weight that makes the exercise extra difficult, and my cardio is shit. That's part of why I geared this thread to focus on dietary intake and the impact it can have without a huge focus on the exercise portion. Our gym/workout thread I linked in the first post has a lot of good stuff on that and has diet mixed in as well from some members.

I'm hoping to move into a sustainable daily diet, not a "use this to lose weight diet", to trim the lard before implementing more of the dreaded exercise. Not sure how fat you've ever been, but it makes any workout feel extra taxing at half the desired pace. It's in the plan, but maybe tomorrow? :rofl:

Taco-Spike likes this.
  22. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:54 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Pretty sure that'd be similar to what I had on the nutrisystem set up. It'd be a helluva calorie deficit and I'd lose weight, but feel like I was starving. That's part of why I linked the video with Dr. Ken Berry. He pretty well describes how it felt. LOL

23. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:55 AM
    SwitchThrottle

SwitchThrottle Living in Idiocracy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona CrewMax
    When you are sleeping, you are fasting. You can extend it on either side. The goal is to do all your eating in a limited window (8hrs or less).

I found it was easier to skip breakfast than skip dinner. If you can go low carb/keto at the same time and get your body to make that adjustment, it wont be as bad since your insulin swings will flatten out.

I found keto harder than intermittent fasting, but combined, you can shed fat very quick.

Taco-Spike and GODZILLA[OP] like this.
  24. Feb 10, 2023 at 5:19 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Have you ever done the multi-day intermittent fasts?

25. Feb 10, 2023 at 5:20 AM
    Taco-Spike

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Two Trucks
    Beet juice

a few carrots
    4 beets
    4 pears
    4 apples
    4 lemons
    Some ginger

depending on the size of the above. Makes about (4) 16oz servings ~ which is the below container size

60206921-6069-48F2-AE21-07147A0F6161.jpg

FYI - drinking a few of these makes your stool and pee purple.

OCP ~ orange, carrot, pineapple

5lbs carrots
    1 jumbo pineapple
    5 large oranges - I use naval

Green lemonade
    1 bundle of spinach
    1 bundle of kale
    4 cucumbers
    4 apples
    4 lemons

all should make about the same amount. I’ve tried dozens over the years but these are in our rotation.

All produce gets a baking soda bath.

can use the pulp to make food. Wife make these little carrot cake type things, like a carrot pulp patty with spices and herbs. Also can use you compost. She has made broths and marinara with certain left over pulp. We mix stuff like carrot pulp in dog food, our dogs love it.

edit: like most produce, they loose a significant amount of nutrients after a few days so drink them a few days after making. If you look up some stuff it’s crazy to find out the nutrient loss. I’ve seen spinach or kale loose up to 50% before you even buy it from the store

ToyoMafia, Kgfit85 and GODZILLA[OP] like this.
  26. Feb 10, 2023 at 5:26 AM
    SwitchThrottle

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona CrewMax
    Not sure I understand the question? Multi-day fast, or Intermittent fasting multiple days at a time?

I have never fasted (on purpose) for multiple days.

Intermittent fasting is everyday of the week. Usually stop consuming calories around 8pm, and don't take in calories until 1pm the following day. I drink black coffee without any sweeteners, so its not horrible as long as i am busy.

GODZILLA[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  27. Feb 10, 2023 at 5:37 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Ah, I've always understood intermittent fasting to be the practice of periodic full day or multi-day fasts as a persistent habit. Never thought of restricting the hours of consumption to a narrow window as fasting, but I can see how it could be.

FlyingWolfe likes this.
  28. Feb 10, 2023 at 5:52 AM
    FlyingWolfe

FlyingWolfe Wolfie

Member:
    First Name:
    Crystal
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Calorie deficit is how weight comes off. Honesty it sucks at first but once your body stops being accustomed to food constantly being stuffed into it you get hungry less frequently and the habit of eating only when your hungry gets easier. Embrace the suck, it gets better.

bflooks and GODZILLA[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  29. Feb 10, 2023 at 5:54 AM
    SwitchThrottle

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona CrewMax
    I found keto very difficult to maintain, but according to my sister i was doing it wrong. She has rheumatoid arthritis, so things like bread cause inflammation. Her husband is diabetic, and was shaped like a bowling ball until she got him on keto. I saw him for the 1st time in 11 years this summer, and he looked great. His weight was way down, his energy was up, and his skin was noticeably better. He still has to take insulin, but its a fraction of what he used to.

GODZILLA[OP] likes this.
  30. Feb 10, 2023 at 6:12 AM
    Legend33

Legend33 New Member

Member:
    Middlesex Massachusetts
    I love eating food and I love varieties. I don't want to limit myself with food choices. So, I came across IIFYM (If It fits Your Macros) years ago. So basically in short, you have to hit your Macros in Carbs, Fat, and Proteins. Each person Macros is different due to height, weight and activity level. So, for my Macros Carbs is at 350g, Fat 80g, and Proteins 180g. The only thing I cycle is Carbs depend on the Training day, everything else stay the same. There's Apps out there that helps track your Macros, such as Myfitness Pal (now you have to pay premium) to change your Macros setting etc. So the Apps I used now are called Cronometers its free, which I can adjust or change my macros without paying the premium, just have to deal with stupid ads.

So, with IIFYM, it helps keep my diet in check and my fitness goals.

GODZILLA[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top