1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TFL's Truck of the Year is...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mattedfred, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Jan 21, 2022 at 3:57 AM
    Mattedfred

Mattedfred [OP] Toyota Fan Boy Since ‘04

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 TRD Sport DC 4X4 in MGM
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    Seeing a real theme here. These marketing folks know where the majority of the disposable income is in the US for these types of vehicles. Sorry non-hipster, work truck folks.

Wallygator and raylo like this.
  2. Jan 21, 2022 at 4:03 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 DC 6.5 bed Lunar Rock, TRD OR +Options
    None
    Yup, the mfgs have figured out that the big $ is in "lifestyle" vehicles and they really are making some cool stuff. Plenty of cool and functional vehicles like Maverick for the young crowd and luxoboat Tundras for us old farts. But they all haven't given up on work trucks, you just need to go domestic for that. Chevy, for instance, has a specific WT work truck trim and my local dealer always has some. Usually white, few bells and whistles.

Wallygator likes this.
  3. Jan 25, 2022 at 3:45 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
  4. Jan 25, 2022 at 4:08 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
  5. Jan 25, 2022 at 4:31 AM
    BayRunner

BayRunner I’m here, except when I’m not

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    They need to make it affordable. I like the ‘22 Tundra but think it’s way too expensive and will limit its saturation. Ford saw this with the maverick and filled the void. Brilliant move in my opinion.

6. Jan 25, 2022 at 4:40 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    Tacoma doesn't compete with Maverick, it competes with the Ford Ranger. The current Rangers look pretty good, but the next gen Tacoma will hopefully blow it away. Good chance I will wait until I see the Tacoma update before I jump on a Tundra... and the current short supply makes it easy to wait since I can't find a Tundra even close to the config I want anywhere. And I really don't need the bulk of a Tundra in the first place. But the new Tacoma really needs to have a much better powertrain than the 3rd gens... or I am out.

7. Jan 25, 2022 at 4:46 AM
    10TundraSR5

10TundraSR5 Happy Tundra owner

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black Tundra SR5
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!
    How can we miss you if you never go away? I hated they got rid of compact trucks and hope this kicks off a new market segment. If Toyota comes out with a competitive priced compact truck, I'm sold.

Mattedfred[OP] likes this.
  8. Jan 25, 2022 at 4:54 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    I agree it was a brilliant move by Ford. But the Mav is a toy, not a truck. Like the baby Bronco Sport it is merely an entry level lifestyle vehicle for gen whatever kids that are as bored with SUVs as we got with minivans. Toyota for sure could make a good competitor but for whatever reason they are slow to the party on any new trends.

RavingOx likes this.
  9. Jan 25, 2022 at 5:34 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    Respectfully, I disagree with some of you. Just because it doesn't meet your personal needs or wants, or you think it's ugly, doesn't mean it won't sell like hot cakes.
    I feel that it does compete against the Tacoma within a certain demographic.
    It absolutely is a truck, just not what you personally consider to be a truck. Unfortunately, nobody cares what someone not interested in buying it thinks.
    I suspect that the automotive manufacturers have focus grouped and market surveyed the shite out of this, and determined that their largest margins will come from those with the most disposable income. I wonder if that is university educated, young, single child, both parents working in professional fields, urban dwelling, home owners, who are concerned about climate change and seeking a work/life balance. If true, I imagine these folks want a daily driver that is easy to park anywhere in the city that they can easily use as a weekend getaway vehicle for their small, affluent family.
    We know minivans aren't cool anymore. Well, SUVs, and even CUVs, aren't seen as cool anymore. Reducing your carbon footprint is cool. Electrification is cool. Anything with a bed is cool. Anyone that has a truck always has lots of friends.
    4 door, fuel efficient, smooth riding, smaller pickups will be the hot trend in 2022.
    If the 2022 Tundra is any indication, I'd prepare to be very let down by the new Tacoma and Toyota Pickup EV if I were a 'real truck guy'.
    Better get used to living as a minority. Sorry!

Also, most of us have to admit that vehicles purchases are a very emotional decision. We base many of these decisions on experience. How does the vehicle make us feel? What experiences do we expect to have when we drive this vehicle. Many bought large, powerful rucks for the feeling. I don't think it's fair for those same people to call out others for doing the same thing with a different vehicle. But, that's just me.

Lovetrucks likes this.
  10. Jan 25, 2022 at 5:38 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    Oh, it is selling like hot cakes for sure. But not against Tacoma. That is a whole other size, capability and price range. Anyone looking at Tacomas and then choosing Ford instead would just get an equivalent Ranger which on paper compares very favorably. Like Tundra competing against F150. Just apples to apples... not apples to crabapples!

Wallygator likes this.
  11. Jan 25, 2022 at 5:51 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    I feel that some would look at every single truck under a traditional 1/2 ton. Tacoma, Ranger, Maverick, Santa Cruz, Frontier, Rivian R1T, whatever. I wonder when Stelantis will come out with one?

12. Jan 25, 2022 at 5:54 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    OK... you're allowed to feel that way!

13. Jan 25, 2022 at 6:39 AM
    ShreveportTSS

ShreveportTSS Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 5.7 4x4 Crewmax TSS
    Ford quit taking orders due to overwhelming demand.
    ford-stops-taking-maverick-orders-due-to-overwhelming-d-1848410887

14. Jan 25, 2022 at 6:40 AM
    articdesert

articdesert Will work for truck parts

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 1794 MGM
    I read the article before I came on this thread and thought no way. but I remembered back when I saw the maverick in person and realized they're leaning more towards the urban hipsters with this one. or the people who who has this vehicle and would help a friend move out of their apartment. makes sense but still seems crampy inside

raylo likes this.
  15. Jan 25, 2022 at 6:46 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I'm with you. I don't understand why the Ridgeline gets so much hatred but everyone is tripping over themselves to get a Maverick.

16. Jan 25, 2022 at 6:58 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    I think there are still just so many who will never buy anything but an American brand regardless of any other qualities it might have.

Price is also the biggest driver I bet for the Maverick even if they go out the door equal to a Ridgeline a lot of people are convinced they are saving money and still buying the newest USA trucklet overall.

17. Jan 25, 2022 at 6:58 AM
    trekkar

trekkar New Member

Member:
    northeast CT
    Base price 20k and 40mpg is my guess, if there was a base hybrid on the lot I’d pick it up today. Ridge line starts at 37600. And if you want awd then it’s about 25k, and the ridleine only tows 1k more and I’m guessing payload is the same

raylo likes this.
  18. Jan 25, 2022 at 7:03 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    Thanks bud! Opinions are like aholes, right? LOL

raylo[QUOTED] and RavingOx like this.
  19. Jan 25, 2022 at 7:03 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    The older i get, the more I realize that the ridgleline and maverick meet the needs of most full size truck buyers in America. they are far more efficient as well, both in materials for production and fuel mileage. Imagine nationwide fuel consumption if half of full size trucks were smaller. That being said, this is a tragedy of the commons effect. We individually enjoy the shit out of our full size trucks and it doesn’t cost me individually that much more.

gmcguire7220 and Mattedfred[OP] like this.
  20. Jan 25, 2022 at 7:42 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
  21. Jan 25, 2022 at 7:51 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    I agree and really wanted to like the Ridgeline. It's much more comfortable, nimble and efficient than body on frame trucks. But the styling. Uggh. And the tiny bed. Double uggh. Honestly if Honda had a 6' bed option for Ridgeline, even with the styling, I might be in one of those now. But Honda is worse than Toyota. They build what they want to build and don't seem to care about different use cases in the slightest.

22. Jan 25, 2022 at 8:03 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    What would you rather they offer though?

The Ridgeline are not really Trucks in any traditional sense and which truck options even are practical for a Honda Pilot with an odd body hack?
    Honda is not really a truck company either unlike Toyota which is and long has been.

The Demographic for the Ridgeline is a newer one that they are trying to pioneer and develop into its own new thing and I think it does pretty well at that,it is just not something that will work for me right now but it sure seems to be working to drag some across the line from SUV to Truck-Lite too.

Some truck features lend themselves to more designs but others just can not like different bed length on a Unibody design?

They also offer fewer options because people seem to prefer the more highly optioned and it is a lot easier for them to offer them in only 2 flavors I bet too.

I will be surprised if Toyota does not jump in with something similar at some point too but as usual after the market settles more and once they have something a little more different than Honda too.

23. Jan 25, 2022 at 8:16 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    My problem with all these "stylish" short beds, to include the Ridgeline, Santa Cruz, Maverick, etc as well as those on the "real trucks" is that I find I need more luggage and toy space on road trips. Got nothing to do with whether it is a real truck or not, but those little beds just don't work. At least for me. No problem as a DD and such but when you need the space you need the space. Not necessarily tons of hauling capacity, but s_p_a_c_e.

24. Jan 25, 2022 at 8:24 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
  25. Jan 25, 2022 at 8:40 AM
    Half Assed

Half Assed me ne frego

Member:
    Heartland Florida
    Vehicle:
    Reg Cab Gang
    Why not the Maverick? It's bringing the most new things to the table this year. 4 door unibody pickup with more interior room and payload than a tacoma. Doesnt look like shit like the hyundai and some of the other new pickups. Hybrid drivetrain that gets 40mpg and it costs less than a honda civic. I think it would be a hit for Ford if they can get the materials to build them.

I'm going to trade my tundra for one later this year. I still have other fullsize pickups, but 40mpg and 4 doors would be nice too. Hybrid cars dont work for me I need the utility of a truck bed and the maverick would do the job most of the time. Plus I can save $3000 a year on gas.

If you need a real truck dont buy one. Simple as.

abcinv likes this.
  26. Jan 25, 2022 at 8:45 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    Again, for me, Maverick just doesn't have enough space. Or more to the point, like all the short bed vehicles it favors people space which I don't need, over bed/luggage space, which I do need. For a group of four hipsters heading out on the town, great. But for us going on a road trip with the dog and bikes and kayak, not so much.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  27. Jan 25, 2022 at 8:50 AM
    Half Assed

Half Assed me ne frego

Member:
    Heartland Florida
    Vehicle:
    Reg Cab Gang
    Fair enough. I have 3 fullsize trucks. I want to replace one with the maverick.

I'm only interested in the hybrid for mpg reasons. I think the ecoboost is a stupid option and ford should have spent that time making an AWD hybrid option instead.

28. Jan 25, 2022 at 8:57 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    Yeah, if you have the right mix of vehicles you don't need the truck to be the single all-purpose weapon, and a Maverick hybrid could be a great DD. But my "other" vehicle" is a Corvette. I was actually thinking of selling it while the market is so hot and eventually getting a hybrid or even a BEV DD vehicle. Then I drove it yesterday and got that grin on my face again. <Sigh>

Agree that is a shame they don't make an AWD hybrid version.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  29. Jan 25, 2022 at 10:20 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    I am sure not arguing for them and I need to space as a DD myself most of the time. I also really do not find the idea of the tiny bed all that useful to me yet I drive this when not in my 2 Tundras or Sprinter Van.

I just wish they still made them and that it got 40mpg!
    2D205B51-1E8B-4070-925D-FBD2D1F3BBD9.jpg

30. Jan 25, 2022 at 11:24 AM
    gmcguire7220

gmcguire7220 New Member

Member:
    Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited TRD OR Crewmax - WCP- 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XSE
    TRD running boards & Falken Wildpeak tires
    Don’t know about Maverick or new gen Ridgeline. Ridgeline Towing I know is still at 5k whether 1st or 2nd gen. Payload for 1st gen is just over 1500 lbs - Just to clarify that is 100+ lbs more than a new Limited Tundra according to stickers, so….this isn’t a Honda forum but it also has 4ft clear between wheel wells, storage in cab & under bed, like crazy amounts & sacrifices 6 inch shorter bed.
    Not a rock crawler, but hauls & tows as much as many (not all) would need. fwiw. :) I haven’t researched the maverick though.

RavingOx, Cpl_Punishment and Hbjeff like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top