1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tell me about your Lifts and Shocks!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Zelphrin, May 3, 2021.

1. May 3, 2021 at 11:47 AM
    Zelphrin

Zelphrin [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Limited Double Cab
    Aftermarket antenna, interior LED lights, license plate LED lights, LED bed lights, 6" Rough Country lift kit with V2 rear shocks and front lifted struts (no spacers), ION 134 20x10 matte black wheels with Toyo Open Country AT2 33" tires
    I haven't seen a thread for this, and it might actually just be buried. But, it's 2021, so I want to know what you have for custom or aftermarket suspension. If you're running OEM, that's cool too, but this is mostly for us who have replaced our shocks/coilovers or put a lift kit on. I want to know the following from you if you have custom suspension:

1) What lift kit or aftermarket suspension are you running and for what vehicle? Be detailed (coilovers, spacers, shocks, etc.), and include wheels.
    2) What made you decide to get it?
    3) What do you like about your parts?
    4) What do you dislike about your parts?
    5) Did you get it for a purpose or just to have it?
    6) Are you happy with your kit? Any future plans with your suspension or mods related to suspension?

I'll start!

1) 2014 Toyota Tundra Limited double cab - I'm running a 6" Rough Country lift with lifted coilovers in front (spring and shock/strut, not the adjustable RC vertex coilovers), and V2 shocks with lift blocks in the back. Paired with ION Alloy 134 20x10 wheels, and Toyo OC AT2 305/50/R20 tires.

2) Something was fishy about my suspension when I got the truck last year. Well, turns out, after two attempted alignments in a 9 month period, that my outer tie rods were worn, my front shock/strut was bent on the drivers side, and one of my wheels was bent. Whoever had this truck last had put either a leveling kit or some type of lift as there were indentations on the upper mount, and wore down the suspension with it. Since the OEM parts were just as expensive as the Rough Country lift kit, I decided to just go straight to the 6" lift. If anyone knows why Toyota charges a lot for shipping... please let me know lol.

3) I'm really glad I went with the lifted coilovers instead of simple spacers. I don't know how I'd feel with using the same parts that were bent. Also, the V2 shocks in the rear feel great. Not too much bouncing around; feels the same as the OEM stuff. To finish it off, I ordered some Mevotech outer tie rods to go with the lift kit, which makes steering super responsive.

4) I've only had this kit for a week, so I'm going to give it some time with Rough Country. I know after researching lifts and leveling kits that RC has a pretty bad rep, but so far, I'm enjoying it. The skid plate that came with it could be just a little bigger though.

5) At first, I just wanted the suspension fixed since I wanted to take it out on a trail. I already planned on putting some AT tires to go on a couple trails, but after hearing that parts of the suspension were worn/broken, I decided to to grab a lift kit. Well... it works great for getting over rocks lol. I'm glad the diff drops weren't too extreme.

6) Again, happy with the kit, but that's because it addressed a large number of issues. No more steering wheel jiggle, my alignment is finally straight, and my wheels don't lock at full turn anymore. As I'm still learning a lot about Trucks in general, I'm monitoring my UCA's on both sides, and keeping an eye on my wheel bearings. I'm also going to have to figure out why my brakes are pulling my truck, so I might get bigger brake rotors or replace the calipers. Lastly... If anybody knows a good set of rock lights, I'd appreciate suggestions. In the far future, I might be selling this truck, and getting a crewmax, because I have a wife and 3 kids. After that, I'll probably look into getting BDS, Toytec, or ICON suspension/lifts.

MydLyfeCrysys and jeremyd like this.
  2. May 3, 2021 at 1:45 PM
    jeremyd

jeremyd 2014 Crewmax SR5

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4X4
    ProComp 7" 35/12.50/18 -11
    2014 Tundra Crew Cab

ProComp 6 inch, Rough Country coilovers non adjustable utilizing oem coils, ProComp rear shocks and blocks. 1 inch shackles and add a leafs, Firestone ride rite air bags. American Eagle 197, 18x9 -11 offset, Bfg KO2 35/12.50/18 AT.

Lift was installed when the truck had approx 500 miles on it. No weird noises or problems, Alignment is perfect and steering wheel is butter smooth. Currently at 65K and on it's second set of tires. It tows our little trailer more than it does anything else traveling all over the United States. (retired) It's never been to a shop, I do all maintenance myself. The only future changes will be the Bfg KO2'S. My previous tires were Falken and absolutely rode smoother than these KO2's. My plan is to give this truck to my one and only Grandson, My other 6 granddaughters will get box cars..LolIMG_4215 (1)ngbn.jpg
    IMG_7528.jpg

3. May 3, 2021 at 3:00 PM
    Zelphrin

Zelphrin [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Limited Double Cab
    Aftermarket antenna, interior LED lights, license plate LED lights, LED bed lights, 6" Rough Country lift kit with V2 rear shocks and front lifted struts (no spacers), ION 134 20x10 matte black wheels with Toyo Open Country AT2 33" tires
    I've noticed All Terrain tires have those nice groove patterns so you can take it off roading, so they're going to be slightly aggressive. That being said, I would love to try out some BFG KO2's. For street tires, I honestly didn't mind my old Goodyear Duelers, but my favorite street tires go to Yokohama Geolander and Goodyear Eagle series.

jeremyd[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top