1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tankless Water Heater

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by DaBoro54, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Dec 17, 2017 at 10:37 AM
    DaBoro54

DaBoro54 [OP] Beach Fisher

Member:
    Leveling kit, 285/70R18 EXOs
    Who is running a tankless water heater? Impressions? Any maintenance costs? Can it be installed by myself?

I am buying a house and have two 100 gallon propane tanks that only are used with the fireplace. So I was looking into a tankless water heater since I heard they are way more efficient. It would only be myself and my girlfriend.

Please include brand and model number.

2. Dec 17, 2017 at 10:54 AM
    BIGUGLY

BIGUGLY I the SheepDog. I have the capacity for Violence.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Don't have one ,but have done some research. Get bigger capacity than you think you will use. That way you can run washer or dishwasher and still have hot water for shower.

Krezz, Sunnier and DaBoro54[OP] like this.
  3. Dec 17, 2017 at 11:05 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    I have 2 tankless water heaters. 1 is an on demand Challenger triangle tube boiler. It heats the water for our radiant heat, kitchen and 1 bathroom. The other is a Rinnai and it's for 1 bathroom and the laundry room. The bathrooms are about 70' apart which is why I opted to add the Rinnai right outside of the master bathroom.
    When sizing, it's important to calculate required water temperature increase. Bigger is not better, just more expensive.
    I'm using a Rinnai v65 for a bathroom (low flow shower) and clothes washer to be able to run concurrently and raise the water temp 65*.

dcsleeper408, Sunnier and 15whtrd like this.
  4. Dec 17, 2017 at 11:10 AM
    DaBoro54

Member:
    Thanks. I have looked at a few. One that can be mounted outside that looked like it might be a good option.

5. Dec 17, 2017 at 11:33 AM
    joem1cha3l

joem1cha3l New Member

Member:
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 Double Cab SR5 Blazing Blue Pearl
    BOSS Suspension, DB Customz Grill, 35's, Spyder, Tint, Color matched corners
    I have one and it’s an on demand unit. I’ll never buy another again.

6. Dec 17, 2017 at 11:38 AM
    Ericsopa

Ericsopa Old man and the sea

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    N of Rio Grande, S of Red, E of Pecos, W of Sabine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra CrewMax TRD Ltd Super Duper White OVtuned
    I have two Bosch tankless heaters, run on propane. I installed them 17 years ago when I built my house. Have required no maintenance at all, and have performed flawlessly. I've had to replace a couple switches, and thats all. They have no pilot light, so burn no gas at all unless in use. They do require a larger flue than most water heaters, especially if you live at a high altitude. And be sure to provide plenty of combustion air. I installed two so that neither end of the house would have to have a long run to get hot water at the faucet. Machines that use water a few gallons at a time, such as your washer and dishwasher will prolly never get the hottest water unless they're right beside the water heater. The only thing I've found that I had to get used to was making sure the hot water was used with sufficient volume to keep the burner going. If the hot water flow is too little, the burner shuts down. I'm on a well, with a water softener.

aperezsh, Sunnier and DaBoro54[OP] like this.
  7. Dec 17, 2017 at 11:55 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    FYI my friend that recently retired from plumbing said he'd installed about 35 Rinnai's and never had a call back. I haven't heard glowing reviews about other brands. The v65 was about $500.

8. Dec 17, 2017 at 11:59 AM
    joem1cha3l

joem1cha3l New Member

Member:
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 Double Cab SR5 Blazing Blue Pearl
    BOSS Suspension, DB Customz Grill, 35's, Spyder, Tint, Color matched corners
    I have a Navien boiler/water heater combo. Biggest piece of trash. They need to have perfect water. I also hate having to wait 30 seconds sometimes for hot water on demand. Cant wait to build the next house and do that over again.

831Tun likes this.
  9. Dec 17, 2017 at 12:04 PM
    DaBoro54

Member:
    Thanks guys. I will look at the Rinnai. Maybe I'll just keep the tank until it goes up.

10. Dec 17, 2017 at 12:09 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    I hate waiting for hot water too! How far away is the boiler from the source? I've thought about recirc systems (not necessary and wouldn't work here) that are passive. If you've got attic space you can slope a return line from the last source downward back to the heater and don't need any pumps.

11. Dec 17, 2017 at 1:10 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Depending on water quality, I have read de-scaling was something that was performed annually. This isn’t hard to do, just added maintenance. I drain my hot water heaters annually as well to remove sediment. So no more maintenance than that. This has extended my hot water heaters service life by a lot.

As someone stated, make sure you have plenty of draft and fresh air. My brothers ex-girlfriend and daughter were killed by not having enough air (carbon monoxide poisoning). Sad story that ended horribly due to crappy installation. She was 34 and her daughter was 14. Lucky for my brother at the time, he had commitment issues and refused to move into the house.

12. Dec 17, 2017 at 2:50 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Man, that's a horrible story. I hate to follow but it kind of segues to my only ¢.02, which is:

In CA, adding/ extending gas lines (even in your garage or house) must be permitted. Likely because this is a nanny state, but to guard against scenarios like Chris described. I'd like to add a tankless heater to my home next time mine needs replacement but would have to extend gas delivery from one side of my garage to another. By the time I added permitting, and contractor installation costs, it was thousand$ more than is worth it to me. I don't know where you live, and you probably already thought of this but otherwise, this is a friendly reminder to see what your local government adds in costs, before purchasing.

13. Dec 17, 2017 at 4:04 PM
    DaBoro54

Member:
    After everyones input and looking at reviews. I think I'l just keep the tanked water heater right now. Thanks everyone

ColoradoTJ and Sunnier like this.
  14. Dec 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    Unbelievable that this can happen in this day-of-age. Someone deserves to be showering Bubba in the big house.
    I'm on a well with lots of iron and have to pump CLR or something similar through the heater at least once a year. It requires a couple of hours too.

Extending gas lines, though potentially dangerous, is a snap..... Maybe it's just 'cause I've done a lot of plumbing. But today there are flexible gas lines that are super easy to work with and require minimal tools. Perhaps the most important tool is a spray bottle with soapy water. I don't recommend that everyone run out and start doing their own gas plumbing but it's not rocket science either... obviously, since I can do it.

15. Dec 17, 2017 at 6:20 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    She had nobody to blame but herself, and it cost her family dearly. A permit was never pulled through regional building (my brother told her to), it was never inspected (brother suggested getting it inspected), and someone not qualified installed it. I didn't know there are different flue requirements for tank-less water heaters. Why would a Joe Blow handy man know? Now her family has nothing to go back on, such as a contractor or inspector.

I always pull permits for this exact reason...safety. This is also pertinent when selling ones home. I looked at every house that I was considering as a purchase, went to regional building and looked at permits. It was amazing how much work is done without permits (it usually looked like it as well).

This is the last picture I have of Alison. She died 4 years later before I could see her again.

allison.jpg

16. Dec 17, 2017 at 7:01 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    That's such I tragedy, I can't imagine.
    I do think the numbnutz that did the install should be sharing a cell with his worst nightmare. They ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Ignorance in this case, to me, isn't either. Usually the instructions supplied with these units are pretty explicit regarding all aspects of installation.
    Anyhow. I'm really sorry for your brother, your family and hers.
    BTW, I've been in the trades for 35 yrs. and have never heard a more tragic tale. I have 2 licenses and am well versed in every area of residential construction. I'm currently building my house from the ground up including building all doors, windows, cabinets, furniture and some light fixtures. I did the plumbing, elec, concrete, everything. Shhh.. no permits, that would've cost me around 100k when all's said & done.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Dec 17, 2017 at 7:15 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Very sad.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Dec 17, 2017 at 7:20 PM
    Slayer

Slayer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Slayer
    I am a construction superintendent.
    Most Older Homes...
    have gas meters & gas providers lines (from utility easement to house) that will not accommodate a tank-less water heater retrofit. the gas draw is huge.. the small to medium sized ones draw 100,000 BTU's
    you most likely need to get gas provider involved to upgrade their supply line & install an upsized meter.

I run into this all the time at work.... this is the case 95% of the time... even some of the newer homes built between 1985 & 2000 share a 5/8" gas line split between the adjoining lot with your neighbor.
    The building codes where I build in Seattle require an 1-1/2" ridged (hard pipe) gas line from the upsized meter directly to the tank-less water heater... then can be branched off to other devises. Flex lines are not at all allowed.

yes.. if you 'bootleg one in'... it work if you don't upsize the line & meter as long as no other devises are also drawing a fuel demand at the same time like furnace, range, fireplace ect. but, not to the peak of efficiency.

100% agree with @ColoradoTJ
    Absolutely permit it & have it inspected.... that liability follows you long after the sale of your home.. even if you disclose the issue.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    ColoradoTJ likes this.
  19. Dec 17, 2017 at 7:46 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    It was herself and her brother that did the install, sadly.

I have heard several stories like this. Hell, my FIL brother killed himself from a gas explosion from a furnace he was working on.

Hell, I have my furnace cleaned and serviced every year. About three years ago we used a different company and the person that came out about started my house on fire. He burnt himself on the arm pretty good. He played it off, but I’m willing to bet he went to the ER after he left my house. I made him splice and repair the burnt wires that he caused. They weren’t bad, and he didn’t want to, but at that time I could have really burnt him for that little stunt. (See what I did there? Lol)

Not sure how you are getting away without permits, but the only thing I can think of is you’re a licensed contractor and your home being built is a cash deal.

There are may qualified people that can build a quality home and never have an issue, kinda like you. Me? Hell no. I’ll build you a rock crawler though. Lol

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  20. Dec 17, 2017 at 8:03 PM
    Basskrazee

Basskrazee Pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Indianapolis, IN.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 /TRD
    AFE mass air intake TRD rear anti sway bar Headwaters seat covers TRD Pro grill Bilstien 6112 coil overs Bilstien 5160 rear shocks Consol vault
    Hey OP don’t you wish you never asked the question?

Sunnier and ColoradoTJ like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top