1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Talking to truckers; car-to-car comms

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CallsignKodiak, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Oct 2, 2021 at 8:56 PM
    CallsignKodiak

CallsignKodiak [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bear
    Iiawah
    Vehicle:
    2021 CrewMax 4x4
    Bone stock
    Read with interest the Two-Way Radios thread.

Then remembered I was a trucker 25 years ago for ~ two years and got to thinking about some road trips coming up. Fan of GMRS here and I'm a ham too, but I would like to know what the big rigs are using these days most often for vehicle-to-vehicle comms. Likewise, what are Tundra owners using for car2car comms?

The Zello app holds a lot of promise in the two way communication space, but you pretty much have to know someone else using it and then connect like you were on a Nextel phone. Doesn't work if you're trying to talk to the lady in the car in front of you that just cut you off bigtime.

CB used to be really annoying back in the day on 17/19, especially in the cities or around truckstops. Maybe it's better these days, but I really doubt it. I can dig out my old Cobra 19 CB radio and build a box to mount it in or on, but not if noone uses CB on the road.

Fwiw, handheld CB's are more worthless than 1/2 watt FRS radios. Lesson learned on those long ago.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    Tundra2 likes this.
  2. Oct 3, 2021 at 2:52 AM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Zoinked

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tundra V8 SR5 '03 Corolla Virus
    @TundraGirl2, and I use craftsman 2 way radios when taking two vehicles somewhere. https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-Walkie-Talkies/1000465125

It's rare that we are in two vehicles, but this is a cheap way to talk back and forth. Occasionally, I'll pick up somebody else on a channel.

I'm kinda interested I'm a small CB just for trips because I forget to charge them, and don't like to charge and use at the same time.

Interested to hear what others have to say.

omgboost likes this.
  3. Oct 3, 2021 at 6:11 AM
    omgboost

omgboost The Accountant

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sequoia Platinum
    I used Motorola walkie talkies on our last road trip with family.

Was looking into getting a truck mounted Midland one with more watts but we don't use it that often to justify the costs.

4. Oct 3, 2021 at 6:21 AM
    Kanobi13

Kanobi13 New Member

Member:
    Motorola walkie talkies for the kids on road trips now.

omgboost[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Oct 3, 2021 at 6:21 AM
    Ericsopa

Ericsopa Old man and the sea

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    N of Rio Grande, S of Red, E of Pecos, W of Sabine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra CrewMax TRD Ltd Super Duper White OVtuned
    Well, as of 15 years or so ago, truckers were still using CB 19 for the most part, except the west coast, where if I recall, they were using Ch 17 a lot.

6. Oct 5, 2021 at 5:43 PM
    GreyToy

GreyToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    This is KJM24 Red Baron for a radio check

That was me in the 70's. CB Radio is (was) dead but is about to make a huge comeback.

I use FRS daily, cheap Midlands but they work for my purposes which is when I go out on the backside of my property my wife keeps one near her and I throw one on my belt in case something happens then I can just send a tone. Or talk and get hold of her real quick in an emergency.

CB is dead here, my brother gave me a Base Station a few years back and other than a couple of locals complaining that CB is dead, no one was on the CB. I asked my brother what they use these days to talk. He was a long haul trucker. He said truck to truck they are still using CB's but nobody talks like they used to, everyone is mostly on their cell phones with Blu-Tooth devices. But CB's are still good and used for traffic (truck to truck) and emergencies.

That being said, CB is going to make a huge comeback because the FCC approved Cobra and President's petition to add FM to 11 Meter (CB). The rule was adopted on August 3rd, released on August 4th and goes into effect on October 31st. President and Cobra will be releasing their first CB-FM radios on October 28th. Section 95.971(a) was amended to grant Cobra's request specifically to transmit FM voice. The new channels are 1 through 6 using the abandoned 27 MHz formerly used for RC Aircraft. The frequency range is 27.435 to 27.535. From Part 95, frequency deviation will be + or - 2 kHz due to the 10 kHz channel spacing and 8 kHz maximum bandwidth spacing in CB radios. So while everyone (or a lot of people) is wondering whether or not FM is going to be approved, it's been approved since August 3rd. + or - 2kHz was adopted because it has worked as the European standard for years.

I have a GMRS license and GMRS radios. In the Report and Order the Commission also allowed GMRS to transmit manual or "on order" text messages and location information to specific listening radios. This was sorta kinda already allowed, but is now clarified. Expect to see GMRS radios with Text Messaging and Location services soon. One of the complaints by a lot of HAM and GMRS Operators was Motorola's request to require periodic automatic location and data transmissions for FRS and GMRS. People saying they would not use it if their locations were going to be sent to Motorola and Government agencies automatically, people get tracked enough. FRS was denied, GMRS was approved. New GMRS and CB-FM Radios will have automatic or periodic data and location transmission. FCC states the benefits for people operating in remote areas and emergencies outweighs "something or another".

I haven't read 95.967, 971, or 973 yet but it appears they are taking the GMRS route on licenses on the CB-FM channels. GMRS use requires a license, even though FRS/GMRS coexist on the same channels. because of the higher power Channels. The way it reads, CB radio is fine, but if you want to operate on FM channels a license will be required. Not sure on it, because I still need to read the other sections.

With all the ad-ons and computer interface options available for CB Radios, I see it making a giant comeback as soon as some of the CB-FM radios become affordable.

One thing to add, GMRS licenses do not require a test, I doubt CB-FM will either.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Half Assed likes this.
  7. Oct 5, 2021 at 7:20 PM
    Half Assed

Half Assed me ne frego

Member:
    Heartland Florida
    Vehicle:
    Reg Cab Gang
    This thread has me interested in old school communication tech, but im not interested if it sends out my location to a fed agency. Did i read that right?

8. Oct 5, 2021 at 7:28 PM
    GreyToy

GreyToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Yep. And in the issued decision Motorola also requested a lockout, in case someone wanted to lockout the automatic Location and Data. That part was denied. it's in the issued decision. You can get those radios imported from Europe, but they wont be FCC Part 95 compliant. So the new CB's with the FM channels will have the automatic sending of location but no option to lockout.

That has been one of the major issues people have been talking about that will keep them from using CB-FM. Obviously Cobra, President and Motorola know it would have helped them sell more radios with a lockout feature.

9. Oct 5, 2021 at 7:51 PM
    Half Assed

Half Assed me ne frego

Member:
    Heartland Florida
    Vehicle:
    Reg Cab Gang
    Wow that is super lame, but not surprising at all to me anymore. Thanks for the information.

10. Oct 5, 2021 at 7:53 PM
    Half Assed

Half Assed me ne frego

Member:
    Heartland Florida
    Vehicle:
    Reg Cab Gang
    Is there a euro gmrs radio that you recommend? I'm going to do some reading on this tomorrow if i can remember to do so.

11. Oct 5, 2021 at 8:08 PM
    GreyToy

GreyToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    On youtube watch the "notarubicon" channel. That guy has the best, short, videos explaining anything you want to know about GMRS in plain talk as well as radio reviews and equipment reviews.

NomadicFrog, Kung and Half Assed like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top