1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tail lights and reverse lights out after backup camera install

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Acatlin96, Jul 31, 2022.

1. Jul 31, 2022 at 8:37 PM
    Acatlin96

Acatlin96 [OP] amateur breeze shooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 AC SR5 V8/4WD + LSD/Tow
    Hey everyone,

I recently installed the ATOTO F7XE stereo and the corresponding ATOTO backup camera. Install went well and I thought I had everything in place. I also installed new LED reverse lights. Now, I noticed I no longer have tail lights (e.g. the red rear lights when I turn on the headlights) and reverse lights. But I am still getting signal to the backup camera every time I put it in reverse.

I checked all the fuses, they looked good. The fuse for tail lights and reverse lights are separate anyways. For the backup camera, I spliced into both of the driver side reverse light wires (power and ground).

Electrical is not my strong suit, so I am stumped. I couldn't find any pinching/cuts by re-tracing the wire.

What could be the issue? Do you think I need to ground the camera to the truck, instead of using the reverse light ground? Why would both the tail lights and reverse lights go out like this?

Thanks in advance!

2. Aug 1, 2022 at 1:19 AM
    Aerindel

Aerindel New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC, SR5, 4.7 V8 4WD, 325,00ish miles.
    If you didn't blow a fuse, you probably screwed up a ground. Also, if you didn't know LED are one way 'check valves' for electricity, to use a plumbing metaphor.

Unlike traditional lights, power only flows through an LED one way, so if you got the polarity wrong, they light won't work, and no power can flow through that circuit. This could be the issue with your backup lights.

TravisJr and des2mtn like this.
  3. Aug 1, 2022 at 6:34 AM
    shifty`

shifty` Is the Gila Copter a love machine?

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    Yup, that's probably it. Pop out the LED bulbs, rotate 180 degrees and reinstall. They're polarized and only work one way. You may've installed backwards.

If not, try installing the old bulbs in both sockets and see if it fixes. If so, you know the LEDs were the problems.

Other people have had issues with the damaging bulb sockets for the smaller bulbs too, causing a wide array of weird electrical gauge/light issues.

4. Aug 1, 2022 at 7:20 AM
    Braixen Infection

Braixen Infection New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x4 V8
    N/A
    Probably backwards bulbs unless you used the Zevo bulbs. I used Zevo which work either direction for my brake and reverse lights. Way brighter! I plan to install a backup camera in the short future so I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your setup!

5. Aug 3, 2022 at 9:18 PM
    Acatlin96

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thank you all for your replies. Regarding the tail light, turns out that all my diagnosing/taking the bulbs in and out caused the tail light bulb filament to break. So I swapped in new taillights and all is well with the world again.

Regarding the reverse lights, I had swapped in LEDs at the same time as my backup camera install. Turns out the bulbs were faulty and were causing an internal short somehow (I was reading <5V at the reverse socket with the other bulb installed in the socket). Tried swapping bulb locations, rotating 180 degrees, and nothing worked, so it has to be the bulbs themselves. The replacements will be here Saturday and hopefully that should fix it.

I’ll post up pics of my camera and stereo install soon!

shifty` likes this.
  6. Aug 5, 2022 at 9:50 AM
    Acatlin96

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    Wanted to provide some pics of the radio and backup camera. ATOTO F7 XE, everything's been working great so far with no issues. Installation instructions were easy to follow and pretty explanatory (especially for being a Chinese head unit). Backup camera is the ATOTO AC-HD02LR) and installed just as easily. Wireless Carplay works great and takes around 10-15 sec to boot up, and automatically plays my music. Overall I'm really happy with it and would highly recommend it. Not the greatest screen resolution/very slight lag which doesn't bug me, especially at this price point. I scored the stereo on Amazon Prime Day and only paid around $150-160.

thumbnail_IMG_8650.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8651.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8652.jpg

7. Aug 5, 2022 at 11:10 AM
    EvilMilkshake

EvilMilkshake New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 AC Limited 4x4
    Nice. I also am running an ATOTO (S8) in my truck and I absolutely love it. Sounds great, works as expected with wired and wireless CP/AA, and it didn't break the bank at all. Been running mine for a year now. Had one problem occur after an AA phone update that ATOTO fixed in less than a day with a new firmware. Very responsive and even sent me a free OBD reader for the trouble!

Acatlin96[OP] likes this.
  8. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:26 AM
    Braixen Infection

Member:
    Vehicle:
    N/A
    I installed a Sony ax6000 into my truck and it can take a camera. Did you tap into your reverse wire to power the camera?

9. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:50 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    I installed @daveeasa 's "DIR" (disable in reverse/disables tag lights to reduce glare when you shift into reverse) harness on my truck. Totally plug and play. He added an extra wire in the adapter harness to fed power to the camera when the reverse lights were on. This way, the camera only powers up when the truck is in reverse, and at the same time it's powering up, the tag lights are powering down to reduce glare.

There's no reason you couldn't just tap into the reverse light positive wire to do the same. but if you do, use a weatherproof Posi-Tap so you're not cutting anything, and not doing the absurd amount of damage these Quick Tap shitboxes cause:

upload_2022-8-9_10-50-10.jpg

abcinv and alb1k like this.
  10. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:54 AM
    daveeasa

daveeasa FBC Harness Solutions

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 RCLB 4x4, 2005 RC 5MT Prerunner, 2016 Tacoma OR DCSB 6MT
    My truck ( non tow ) also happens to have reverse (red w black) in a 6 position connector ment to feed the tow bracket.

11. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:54 AM
    Braixen Infection

Member:
    Vehicle:
    N/A
    I would probably cut and solder the wire. Someone used one of those stupid t-taps on my brake wire for my topper brake light. So I cut and soldered it with adhesive heat shrink to seal it properly. I might do the same with my reverse wirewhen I install a camera. What’s a good brand camera? All I find are junky ones on Amazon.

12. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:59 AM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    The way mine is done, an 11 position provides 12v power (via injection of fused lead in the engine bay) and brake, parking, left and right inputs. Then a ground along with red, yellow, blue wires as outputs. Those outputs feed a center 6 pos connector along with direct feed of reverse and another ground. One of the 6 positions is unused and 2 of the 11.

13. Aug 9, 2022 at 8:00 AM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    My OG topper had a T tap done. New taillights come with pigtails so you get a fresh start.

14. Aug 9, 2022 at 8:06 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Yeah, QuickTaps suck. Wires will corrode from the inside out when they're used in exterior applciations. Posi-Taps are great and have a "watertite" variety for exterior use.

On cameras, they're all pretty much made at the same one or two factories, but assembled to look different.

If you want one embedded in the tailgate handle, go with Master Tailgaters.
    If you want one standing free, order from Summit Racing or Crutchfield, any name brand will suffice.

abcinv likes this.
  15. Aug 9, 2022 at 8:17 AM
    Braixen Infection

Member:
    Vehicle:
    N/A
    I probably just want a license plate mounted one. Easy and simple mounting. Plus I don’t like how the tailgate ones look.

16. Aug 9, 2022 at 8:33 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    I got one of the Boyo units from Crutchfield, it was whatever they recommended.

About 8 months later, this cool looking surface-mount camera came out: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_249CUB15/Crux-CUB-15.html

I'd have preferred that one, I think, because you could integrate it just about anywhere, but ... For my needs, the license-plate-mount unit is fine.

17. Aug 9, 2022 at 5:22 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I will say the view is as hoped for. Only downside is my double DIN 4600 just feels tiny compared to the 6600 in my 2016. But it’s super nice to see behind you and know you aren’t hitting anything.

18. Aug 10, 2022 at 7:41 PM
    Dr.Nut

Dr.Nut New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L
    The quality looks good. I'll show to that to my uncle when we start modding his new Tundra project. It's in the shop for the installation of the brake pads and nitto tires, plus the alignment this week.

Acatlin96[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  19. Nov 20, 2022 at 2:44 PM
    richsadams

richsadams New Member

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 AC 4x4 4.7L
    Greetings! Know this is kind of an old post, but wanted to know if you're still happy with your ATOTO F7 XE. Thinking about the same model and wanted some real world feedback.

Any tips and tricks, install kit used, would also be welcome.

TIA!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  20. Nov 27, 2022 at 8:53 PM
    Acatlin96

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    I’m definitely still happy with it! It’s been great and for the price, can’t be beat. I will say that occasionally it freezes/glitches, and won’t be fixed until I turn off the truck and turn it back on again. Restarting the radio doesn’t seem to fix it. This happens so rarely though that I really don’t mind, and it’s somewhat expected at this price point. My phone consistently connects as well.

Install of the radio is very straightforward, the wires are labeled well. I had installed an Bluetooth radio before so was familiar with how to take the truck apart, etc. Installing the backup camera was a pain though, I installed it in my tailgate handle and it took me much longer than anticipated. In hindsight I probably would have just installed it using the provided license plate frame as in the tailgate was really annoying to deal with. I soldered the camera wire in with the reverse bulb wires and it always turns on consistently.

Overall I’m really happy with the radio and camera, and would recommend them to anyone looking for a cheap way to get wireless CarPlay.

richsadams[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Nov 28, 2022 at 12:04 PM
    richsadams

richsadams New Member

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 AC 4x4 4.7L
    Great info, thanks very much!

I was wondering about the backup camera in the tailgate handle setup. The one in our 2010 Tundra worked great and I found some handles on eBay (like this one) that have a built-in camera like that. I replaced the tailgate handle previously (along with all of my other door handles and the ignition) so that part isn't too worrisome. However I've also used the license plate type camera and found them to be fine as well. So I think I might do as you recommended and go with the license plate camera instead.

Also have had the dash apart a few times most recently to swap in LEDs so that's a fairly straight-forward process now.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Acatlin96[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  22. Nov 28, 2022 at 2:44 PM
    Acatlin96

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    I really wanted one of those integrated camera/tailgate handles, but they were too expensive for me. One plus of using the Atoto specific backup camera is that you can view the rear camera anytime- even while driving with the push of a button on the home screen. This is really helpful if you tow/have stuff in the tow hitch. I carry my bike in a hitch rack and appreciate being able to check on it on the freeway.

I agree that the license plate location is probably best. I wanted a good angle, but even with the camera in the handle I still can't see my bumper which was a disappointment. Also getting the wires through the tailgate body and fed into the driver side taillight was a PITA. I wouldn't recommend it and you could save so much time just routing it through the spare tire access hole.

Let me know if you have any questions about the install! I can send you my parts list if interested.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    richsadams[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Nov 28, 2022 at 4:16 PM
    richsadams

richsadams New Member

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 AC 4x4 4.7L
    Thanks for that!

I don't plan on towing anything, but just being able to turn the backup cam on whenever you like would be a bonus. Think I'm going with the license plate camera like you said. I did that on a Chevy pickup I have and it works great plus it's much easier that way.

Thanks again! :cheers:

24. Nov 28, 2022 at 5:41 PM
    artsr2002

artsr2002 2005 Tundra DC SR5

Member:
    'Yonder
    Vehicle:
    Red-Maroon-Something 05 DC 4.7 4x2
    I threw one of the Natika cameras in my tailgate handle. Drilled a hole and used the spacers to try and angle it best I could. It works. The camera view is ok. Not the HD quality video I was hoping for. The low resolution of the Kenwood resistive screen I use also has a part in that. I do like being able to enable the camera at any time though using that dedicated CAM button on my Kenwood headunit. The Kenwood I have in my Ford also has the CAM button but Ford's software turns off the camera feed after around 7MPH or so. The screen just becomes black. If I enable the camera, the screen goes dark after I leave a stop light but then comes back on once I slow down for the next one. LOL.

richsadams likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top