1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Symptoms of a sticking caliper?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by dwarmbrodt, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Dec 24, 2016 at 7:27 AM
    dwarmbrodt

dwarmbrodt [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 Tundra SR5
    Hello all,
    Trying to determine what is the cause of this problem. Just had truck aligned with new tires mounted and balanced. Most of the time tracks straight and smooth. THEN, above 40mph I can have a shake similar to a tire way out of balance. And truck pulls to the right slightly. After a mile or so it will slowly get back to normal. Is this a symptom of a sticking piston in the caliper?

2. Dec 24, 2016 at 12:01 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    This could be the problem. What year truck? Miles?

When this happens, do you smell hot brakes? Have you went out and checked for excessive heat on your front passenger brake assembly?

Other areas to look at is:

Bad bearing hub assembly. Once the hub heats up and starts dragging, your going to feel it. This also creates a lot of heat. This is where a cheap thermo gun works great to pinpoint heat origination.

Check front end components. I had an issue with a customers truck that stumped me for a bit. Every time he hooked up to his GN trailer and towed hay (17k lbs or more) the truck would pull for about a week later. It ended up being a bad suspension bushing. I was surprised it was bad with how new the truck was.

GNTundra likes this.
  3. Dec 25, 2016 at 5:09 AM
    MT Madman

MT Madman Just an ordinary guy

Member:
    Hawk Point MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Platinum
    TRD dual exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar SnugTop Hi-Liner
    Move the suspected tire to the rear and see what happens, it could be a bad tire itself since this started after all the work you had done to it.

ColoradoTJ and NewImprovedRon like this.
  4. Feb 12, 2017 at 8:20 AM
    peck

peck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 tundra 4x4 king cab 270,000 miles
    k/n air filter
    i had the sticky caliper problem this week, truck pulled hard to right, gas mileage horrible, jacked the front of truck up checked to see how free the wheels spin drivers side fine pass. side i could barely turn it, then i checked tierode ends while i had it jacked up drivers side was wore plum out. new caliper fixed the one problem, but you should also check the rubber brake line while you have on the jack and the wheel off of it. sometimes the rubber brake lie will fail with age. 2000 model 4x4 270,000 miles still going strong!!!!

NewImprovedRon and ColoradoTJ like this.
  5. Feb 12, 2017 at 8:54 AM
    trayday

trayday New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 limited CM 5.7
    7" BDS, ADS front and rear, Total Chaos UCA's, CB tie rods
    I had a car that did the same when warm, was a stuck caliper.

Products Discussed in

To Top