1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Swing case vs ESP Storage

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by shhernandez74, Dec 23, 2019.

?

ESP or Swing Case

1. ESP Underseat Storage

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Swing Case

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dec 23, 2019 at 3:09 PM
    shhernandez74

shhernandez74 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Samuel
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red Tundra 4x4 SR5
    FRAC Driver side handle TRD Sway Bar Pop Lock Led Lights Seat Warmers Katzkin Bumper Step
    What would you guys rather buy? The esp underseat storage or a swing case? I got a gift card and cant choose between either.

Swing case
    Pros:
    Large space, water proof, easy access from the bed, easily removable if needed
    Cons: Not sure about security

ESP
    Pros: Security since items would be inside of truck,
    Cons: Permanent modification to the trucks, maybe noisy depending on what items i put in there

Would like to hear your opinions, thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTBAKER likes this.
  2. Dec 23, 2019 at 3:27 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    1st gen guy here. I don't have the ESP storage but I do have a swing case. While the SC is a great product, I'd rather be able to store things inside the truck. That looks nice.

You can always do 1 now and 1 later. The swing case isn't that expensive.

BravoDeltaRomeo likes this.
  3. Dec 24, 2019 at 6:13 AM
    r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Tree Juan Hoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM SR5
    I went back and forth with this myself. Here's what I came up with and it's perfect for what I need.

I like to be able to keep things toward the tailgate. Costco, Home Depot, etc runs. So I started with a bed extender. I recently added the BakFlip MX4. Adding a tonneau cover was something I said I would never do again after adding a Snugtop to my Silverado SS back in the day which killed using my truck as a truck if needed. But because this MX4 allows complete access to my bed if needed not to mention we already have a short bed, I went with it. BTW, I have no regrets at all! After that I purchased two bins from Costco where I store my work gear. They are removable and I could place them over the extender if need be. Just more options really.

What I don't like about each...

ESP- not a whole lot of usable space for bigger, taller things. No manly umbrella storage! :rofl: No short dogs! It would be nice if they came out with one long plastic box where you could divide them how you like. The metal long box is nice, but the cost for what you get. Still limited on height of items.

Swing boxes- not really feeling like it's secured much without some type of cover. I know you can add a lock, but if they really want it, they'll get it. Stick a screwdriver in between the lid and box? They also cannot be used with a bed extender to keep things near the tailgate. Not completely sure about being able to use a 2X6 with them, but it looks like it won't work. That was an absolute deal breaker for me. I love the extender not only to keep things near the tailgate, but to add to the overall length of the bed if needed. I need that option every year when I buy my Christmas tree.

This just works for me. YMMV

94A88376-B4FA-4396-A995-5F675B7EFB90.jpg

One other option I'm looking at adding is the BakFlip box. It's used in conjunction with the MX4 and is basically a hang on storage box that can be folded away if need be. The only thing I don't like about it is that the cover needs to be opened completely to gain access. It can be moved towards the tailgate, but then you lose bed space. This or the ESP may be added later.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  4. Dec 24, 2019 at 6:25 AM
    00PS

00PS New Member

Member:
    ::1
    Vehicle:
    2016 Barcelona Red Limited Crewmax TRD 4x4
    Do you have kids in car seats? If so, the ESP is inconvenient. This is the reason I’m holding off on a purchase because it is a mega inconvenience to remove 1, in some cases 2, car seats to get to the storage I’ll need. Something to think about.

5. Dec 24, 2019 at 6:36 AM
    Canon_Bob

Canon_Bob New Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White 1794 4x4
    Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Tint, Tonneau, All Weather Mats
    I had both the ESP under seat storage and the swing cases in my 2016 Tundra Limited Crewmax. I just traded it in for a 2019 1794, and I'm definitely re-installing the under seat storage in my 2019, but the Swing cases I'm on the fence about. I found that they really don't handle the weight of tools/recovery gear very well. They eventually start to sag and the latches don't re-align if you keep heavier things (like tools) in them. I love that they're out of the way and convenient to access, but the fact that they were not that durable has me thinking about not buying another set. If you keep the weight down, then they're probably fine. I had tools and recovery gear in mine (I had two of them...one on each side). The under seat storage gives you three fairly small compartments, but is perfect for things like tie straps, first aid kits, small tool bags, jumper cables, etc.. I really wish Toyota would offer a fold-down rear seat with storage behind it, and a decent under rear seat option. If you go with the ESP, I'll just comment that I didn't notice any change in interior noise after I installed it in my 2016 (but I'm going deaf, so that may not be a worthy opinion) I'd add a sound deadening sheet in each cutout just for posterity.

6. Dec 24, 2019 at 2:18 PM
    Mikesnigur

Mikesnigur New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM Tundra 1794
    Predator Steps, TRD Air Filter, TRD Skid Plate, BakFlip Tri Fold Cover
    I have both... i guess you can't have too much

shhernandez74[OP] likes this.
  7. Dec 24, 2019 at 4:14 PM
    Highsierraguy

Highsierraguy New Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    I'm going swing case due to car seats. But probably would go this route regardless. I like the versatility of it and that I don't have to chop up my oem carpet.

8. Dec 24, 2019 at 4:48 PM
    tightywhitey

tightywhitey New Member

Member:
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra CREWMAX - Louisiana Edition
    I have both. Swing case is full. Ain’t got nothing in the ESP.

9. Jan 5, 2020 at 6:24 AM
    shhernandez74

Member:
    First Name:
    Samuel
    Vehicle:
    FRAC Driver side handle TRD Sway Bar Pop Lock Led Lights Seat Warmers Katzkin Bumper Step
    Ordering the ESP!

Pinay, Canon_Bob and Sunnier like this.
  10. Jan 5, 2020 at 6:39 AM
    shhernandez74

Member:
    First Name:
    Samuel
    Vehicle:
    Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Canon_Bob likes this.
  11. Jan 5, 2020 at 8:48 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    Get the locking single compartment ESP and you can stick a rifle in there. Just sayin'.

zlaneb and Pinay like this.
  12. Jan 5, 2020 at 9:29 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    I have the ESP, I lost one of the storage holes because my daughter's car seat. I've thought about the swing cases, but don't want to lose my tie down hooks in the back. I have a little bag that sits in the bed of my truck that my tie down straps stay in. I really don't have a need for the full Swing Case.

13. Jan 5, 2020 at 9:47 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/diy-ammo-can-storage.1609/

14. Jan 5, 2020 at 10:27 AM
    SoCalRandy

SoCalRandy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    San Diego, California
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Limited Crewmax 4x4
    I really like the ESP, but I don’t think it would work with my Weathertech rear floor liners.

15. Jan 5, 2020 at 11:32 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    I've seen some owners cut them out.

16. Jan 5, 2020 at 11:58 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Yep. I did.

17. Jan 5, 2020 at 12:44 PM
    zlaneb

zlaneb New Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    I did the ESP single compartment lockable storage. I love it, no noise from the box and I have the peace of mind knowing the items are inside the truck and locked.

18. Jan 5, 2020 at 3:33 PM
    Crunch527

Crunch527 Brute Force and Ignorance

Member:
    Iowa
    TRD Supercharger/BAM
    I have 2x swing case...I use them for ammo, straps, and hitch receivers, etc. No issues with them sagging. I didn’t do the ESP because I lift the seats to haul my hounds and the lockable ESP cases don't really provide a usable surface for the hounds to lay on. I could easily throw in a couple extra moving quilts to even things out but I haven’t gone there.

One thing on the Swing cases...if you a trying to haul a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood the swing cases are narrower and I have to take them out from time to time when hauling lumber or furniture etc.

Cobshop likes this.
  19. Jan 10, 2020 at 8:28 AM
    panicman

panicman Everyone remain calm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM TRDoffroad MGM
    I installed the ESP 3-bin the year I got the truck. I don’t get into it very frequently. My kids are years past car seats. But the stuff I have in it, I wouldn’t likely have to get at while they’re in the seats. If I did need to, I’d tell em’ to scram.

The ESP 3-bin holds (for me) a large roadside/1st aid kit, tow ball/mount, canvas bag with various tie-downs, leather gloves, and a small lock box. In winter, I throw the tire chains in too.

My next storage solution is on its way! A Diamondback SE and a crossbin.

BravoDeltaRomeo likes this.
  20. Jan 10, 2020 at 9:04 AM
    Cobshop

Cobshop New Member

Member:
    I have both underseat storage and the swing cases. The swing cases make it hard to put sheets of plywood or Drwyall in the bed but it’s doable if careful. This is also while having a packed floor, 2 car seats, 2 subwoofers and the morning post office commute.

Shoulda bought a van or two instead

16D266B5-E8DB-4A03-8F6D-B34A61578F43.jpg143FC1C0-2CE5-4A32-A0AB-3396A30B4126.jpg 259791B9-0C97-40BA-8FAF-0B0A2DB21455.jpg

1lowlife likes this.
  21. Jan 10, 2020 at 9:48 AM
    PJR202

PJR202 New Member

Member:
    A little pricey when you're looking for a storage bin, but you might be interested in these. They've been worth every penny for me. I do have a swing case as well but it's just for exterior use stuff. The bins fold right up and you can put them anywhere if bed space is needed.

https://www.amazon.com/CleverMade-6...llapsible+storage+totes&qid=1578678297&sr=8-2

r8rs4lf[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top