1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension Advice- Icon, King, Alcan, deaver??

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by rattail00, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Apr 9, 2020 at 9:04 PM
    rattail00

rattail00 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Northwestern WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    Hey everyone, wanted to introduce myself and ask a couple of questions for advice. Got my 2017 Tundra SR5 in October 2016. Immediately put a 3" spacer/1.75" block level on it and some some method wheels with 295/70/18's. Here she is the day that I brought her back from the store (I had the dealership put the lift and tires on since my brother manages a discount tire and my dad is the GSM of a Toyota dealership
    9E9F291B-C944-4D80-AD81-FFBAEA9AAA1F.jpg

Eventually I got a smittybuilt overland tent and moved 3000 miles away. A 7000# trailer was not fun with the lift I currently have driving that far, but the drive was awesome.
    A5B3E217-E222-4192-98AF-B6E5EE918733.jpg

So here we are now. I do a good bit of driving in the snow (in the winter) on forest roads/fire roads and moderate trails to get to camp sites out of the way of public ones. The spacer lift with blocks is very rough for all of this. I'm replacing the rooftop tent with a GFC that is going to (hopefully) be ready in June. I just bought a decked system as well.

I want to revamp the suspension. I'm currently siting at 60K miles. My question is: what should I do? I know this is a very weighted question. I've looked hard into the Icon RXT system for the rear and Icon coilovers, but I've also looked at OME with dakars, and toytec with deavers in the rear. I'm also very enticed by TAV's setup with Alcan and Kings. There's so many options that I'm just looking for advice from folks. I'd like to maintain the towing capacity, but sit with little to no sag with the GFC (roughly 500ish pounds in the bed always total).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Apr 9, 2020 at 9:10 PM
    Tundra_361

Tundra_361 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black 1794 4x4
    For the rear id recommend the rxt icon leafs

3. Apr 9, 2020 at 10:28 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I'm partial to KINGs and Deavers or ADS and Deavers. ALCAN are great too.

4. Apr 9, 2020 at 11:56 PM
    BrownieT

BrownieT New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD 4x4
    King is pretty much the cats meow

5. Apr 10, 2020 at 9:12 PM
    rattail00

Member:
    Northwestern WA
    Vehicle:
    The icon's seem like the easiest option to go with since so many people run the RXT system. Where do you get custom length/longer travel King's? For a 1.75"-2" rear lift I think you need 12-13" travel kings, which I'm not sure they have in the 2.5 that I can find.

6. Apr 10, 2020 at 11:38 PM
    BrownieT

BrownieT New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD 4x4
    Call king directly. They are very helpful

7. Apr 11, 2020 at 1:23 AM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Crewmax Mid Travel
    Mid travel fox 2.5 coilovers 2.0 real shocks shims 295 70 18 trail grapplers pro accessories 32in light bar blacked out bed cover sway bar Moto metal 970 18x9
    Fox king or ADS wouldn’t wonder far from those three

8. Apr 11, 2020 at 6:21 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    I’ve always liked icons and haven’t ever had any issues. My last coil overs and shocks lasted over 50k with a lot of off roading and no leaks. I have a set in my garage now waiting to install. I didn’t get the rxt leafs yet but probably will. In my experience, they are very quick to answer emails or questions if you call.

9. Apr 11, 2020 at 6:29 AM
    Captainjohn

Captainjohn New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Dbl cab
    Rock sliders, topper, sliding bed
    Call King

10. Apr 12, 2020 at 10:12 PM
    rattail00

Member:
    Northwestern WA
    Vehicle:
    It looks like if I went Kings, filthy motorsports does custom length rears for longer travel. I've pretty much narrowed it down to Kings or Icons. I there any benefit to Deavers or Alcan's over the RXT leafs? The RXT leafs seem the easiest since you can switch leafs around depending on the weight.

11. Apr 12, 2020 at 10:23 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    also note KING has been shutdown for covid19 so you gonna have to wait a long time unless in stock somewehere.

12. Apr 13, 2020 at 4:27 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    RXTs are probably in stock somewhere. I think deaver and alcan are custom made, but I could be wrong. Other than that they will all serve the same purpose. Like you said, RXTs can be changed depending on weight and lift height.

13. Apr 13, 2020 at 5:32 AM
    smslavin

smslavin Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    ben at filthy is awesome. great guy and super knowledgeable. you can’t go wrong with his advice or service.

as someone with a lot of full time weight in the back, my advice, weigh the truck and call alcan or deaver for custom leaf packs. the rxt packs will probably need replacing sooner than you want.

the other option, which i am waiting on to replace my deavers, is the 3” pack setup for MT from @osidepunker and @papasmurf.

papasmurf and osidepunker like this.
  14. Apr 13, 2020 at 5:33 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    oh, forgot, go blue or go home. :cool:

SMTundra and papasmurf like this.
  15. Apr 13, 2020 at 6:13 AM
    papasmurf

papasmurf Savage Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    07 Silver Sky 4x4 | Total Chaos LT | 2.5 King Coil overs & Bypasses | Camburg Bed Cage | 3.0 King Bypasses | 2.0 King Bumps | Custom Deavers | Nitro 4.88's | ARB Locker | Demello Sliders | 17" Double Standards | BFGKO2 37's |

OP there is a really simple answer to all of this, but first some questions.

Front Coil-overs and rear shocks. what color do you like? Black or Blue?

If Black, go Icon, if Blue go King. Icon has a unique ride quality due to the Digressive valving. I used to run Icons and liked them very much. Now I run Kings and I love them too. So really that is your call. They are both great. @KevinK can fill you in on the Icons, hes our groups resident expert on them. With that many miles, you should replace the ball joint on the stock one, and in my opinion, a set of UCA's would be a good upgrade at the same time.

I would also look at getting a set of UCA's which will help the front end with articulation and ride quality.

For Leaf springs, Alcan is decent, Deavers are great, and the RTX is pretty good but I'm not entirely familiar with them so I can't say how great they will be in the long term since they are a newer product.

If you go deaver you will want the u748's they have better weight handling characteristics.

While I appreciate the plug for our 3" product, thats a really new truck and I don't think you warrant a 3" leaf upgrade yet. Let's try some other options first. You can always upgrade later. But its a pretty serious mod, not trying to steer you away from it, just requires cutting and welding on the frame.

Now as far as the trailer deal, I would highly suggest a something like this,

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=47970

combined with daystar airbag cradles https://www.daystarweb.com/product/air-bag-cradle-polyurethane-black

which allow full suspension articulation while off-road, but the support of the airbags while towing, its what I ran on my truck, and it was the best of both worlds.

Let me know if you have any questions, id be happy to answer.

16. Apr 13, 2020 at 9:17 AM
    rattail00

Member:
    Northwestern WA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

@smslavin yeah they've been really helpful with all of my questions about Kings so far. It's great.

@papsmurf For color, don't really have a preference honestly. I'm just more looking for what's functional and what people have had good experiences with. I was definitely going to get some new UCA's, I should have added that in the original post. You said alcan's are decent and deavers are great, can you expound upon that? It seems like alcans are hit and miss for some and the same goes for deavers for the other half of people.

The floating airbag is awesome! I honestly wasn't really sure how those worked since I had only seen them on a TAV stage 1 tundra.

papasmurf likes this.
  17. Apr 13, 2020 at 9:31 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    here's my take after having both icons and kings.

icons give better road manners. kings give better off road manners.

that being said, i have zero complaints with the kings on my tundra. handles great both on and off the pavement.

i currently have deaver U748s. they will be just over 2 years old this summer and they need replacing as they are completely flat already. for full time weight, i have a topper, decked drawers (full), dometic 95L fridge/freezer, expedition one rear bumper and a full size (35") spare. there's also a 50lb LiFePo battery. i do not tow but the idea of an off road camper trailer has been floating around my head for awhile. it will likely stay that way for awhile longer.

i was going to have alcan build a custom set based on the truck weight prior to learning about the 3" leaf pack mod. i'm just going to hold out a little longer and wait to make that jump. i think it will server me better long term.

rattail00[OP] likes this.
  18. Apr 13, 2020 at 9:43 AM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
  19. Apr 13, 2020 at 9:53 AM
    JohnH

JohnH From PA

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR-5 4x4 TRD MGM
    ADS 3.0 with clickers ADS bypasses Deaver U748 springs Magnum steps (with Line-X applied) Powdercoated bumper ends Powdercoated TRD wheels Pro grill Husky X-Act
    Like others have said, consider ADS. Matt at MCM Fab knows our trucks inside and out and the ADS components are high quality. Look him up and give him a call.

I have a full ADS setup along with some Deaver U748 springs.

John

20. Apr 13, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    papasmurf

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    07 Silver Sky 4x4 | Total Chaos LT | 2.5 King Coil overs & Bypasses | Camburg Bed Cage | 3.0 King Bypasses | 2.0 King Bumps | Custom Deavers | Nitro 4.88's | ARB Locker | Demello Sliders | 17" Double Standards | BFGKO2 37's |

Id say Alcan is hit or miss, Deaver has a much longer history and reputation. that's really it

21. Apr 13, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    state48overland

state48overland New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 & 2017 Tacoma DCSB 4WD; 2007 FJ Cruiser
    Long Travel Build: 2011 DCSB 4WD Total Chaos (+2 long travel, heimed uca, race lca, front shock hoop, rear shock relocation hoop with sua kit, spindle and coil bucket gusseted, bed stiffeners), 34"s Nitto Ridge Grapp's, SCS SR8 gun metal, Pelfrey (front/rear/4 skid plates-exhaust re-route, sliders), Rigid LED, Kings (coilovers, triple bypass front, piggy back double bypass rear, hydro-bumps), Superbumps (front), Deaver(sua pack), Harrop rear locker, 4.56 Nitros, Single piece double cardan driveshaft, VLEDs DRLs, GTR 3 LED headlights, Diff breather/relocation x 3, pinch weld, cmc, AGM battery, Bulldog winch (synthetic rope) 9500lb, ext. stainless brake lines, Fumoto, Factor55 flatlink, YWM, fog light mod, LED conversion interior/exterior, de-badged, all 4 stock fenders and flares trimmed 2.5", Safari snorkel, anytime rear camera mod, exhaust chop, spare tire mount chop to fit 34", strapped at all 4 corners.. Mid-Travel build: 2017 DCSB 4WD 34"s BFG KO2, SCS Ray 10s matte black, Diff breather/relocation x 3, sPOD dual Bantam set up, Prinsu, Diamondback, Pelfrey (front, rear, skids, gas, exhaust re route), Sliders, Baja Designs(30" Onx 6 HP, 2 x 30" S8, XL80s, Squadron Sports, S2s x 6), Kings (3.0 IBP fronts, 3.0 double bypass rear, hydro bumps), Eibach 16" x 650lb coilover spring swap, ICON RXT leaf pack-set @ option 2, Total Chaos (Stock length heimed uca & lca, strapped front, sway bar delete, spindle and coil bucket gussets), ext. stainless brake lines, EXE TPAM, EXE bedside compressor mount, AGM-group 31-Pelfrey battery cage, pinch weld, cmc, Factor55 flatlink, X2O 10,000lb winch(synthetic rope), LED conversion interior/exterior, Superbumps, Nitro 4.88s, exhaust chop, spare tire mount chop to fit 34". Mid-Travel build: 2007 FJ Cruiser 35" Nitto Ridge Grapps. SCS SR8 matte black, Demello flat front bumper steel, Expedition One Rear gate/bumper, cmc, pinch welds, fender flare delete, ICON coilovers w/remote resi and rear, Metal Tech LT LCA rears, 12,500lb winch + synthetic rope, Factor55 thimble, full belly/gas tank steel skid plates, Rigid leds, full interior and exterior led upgrade, led flasher upgrade, Total Chaos (UCA, spindle gussets), frame gussets, rear sway bar delete, 4.88 Nitro gears, Diff breather/relocation x 3, Fumoto, exhaust chop,
    Agree with the info posted throughout the thread. Similar weight and components you have or will have used in our prior builds ...we have paired folks up with Deavers and ICONS. Icons RXT shocks are properly spec'd for the RXT leaf pack application with no other changes to height. Ggiven your constant load...leaf pack height that will be needed etc...we have done the RXT's, with a Coachbuilder Stage 1 (gives about 3/4" of lift) shackle, and airbags with Daystar cradles. The airbags will help to support the constant weight taking some pressure off the leaf springs keeping the arch integrity over time-you set the psi accordingly. The CB shackle kits add comfort and eliminates the rubber bushing that and replaces with poly style-that moves free through the suspension leaf pack cycle. The cradles allows/enhances droop and articulation off road. Sounds like you will be an option 3 candidate -given your constant loads paired with airbags could be a great combo. If going with other shocks -custom length will be needed to accommodate for droop. Your up travel numbers will be limited by your air bag psi, which is basically your bump stop. Shocks lengths I have requested in the past from manufacturers have been 10"-11" in travel with measurements between 27.5-28.75" extended....16.5-18.75" compressed,,,which allow for most of the shock to be used with air bags on the up travel side and bumping out before bottom out, and allow for great droop numbers with the leaf pack/shackle set up

upload_2020-4-13_11-18-38.jpg

Jmor6766 and 14burrito[QUOTED] like this.
  22. Apr 13, 2020 at 11:29 AM
    papasmurf

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    Yup ADS is also a great option, and Matt can hook you up! one-stop shop everything at once, except for the airbag stuff

23. Apr 13, 2020 at 12:47 PM
    rattail00

Member:
    Northwestern WA
    Vehicle:
    Ah gotcha that makes sense. I'll look at Deaver a little harder now to see. I've done more research of Icon RXT and Alcan than Deaver so far.

papasmurf[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Apr 13, 2020 at 1:37 PM
    rattail00

Member:
    Northwestern WA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks so much for all of the info! One of my big questions about the Icon RXT leafs were whether it was better to run stock shackles or CB +1's on them. That info helps tremendously.

25. Apr 13, 2020 at 1:50 PM
    TundraLaw

TundraLaw Fourth Year Member

Member:
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    OTW 22 limited crewmax trd offroad black/boulder
    Not to hijack the thread, but will the King 2.5 rear shocks work with 1.75” lift?

26. Apr 13, 2020 at 2:47 PM
    Trdwillie14

Trdwillie14 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Vehicle:
    2014 trd off road
    2.5 fox 2.5 ads triple bypass T/C uppers Nfab front bumper Westin rear Bajas Rci skids All pro sliders Icon rxt leafs Stt pros Method 701s 37 Mickey Thompson
    I’m putting ads triple bypass on with rxt icon at setting 2 to almost match the deaver set up. Trying something not sure if anyone has done this set up yet but we’ll c

SC_TRD likes this.
  27. Apr 14, 2020 at 9:39 AM
    rattail00

Member:
    Northwestern WA
    Vehicle:
    Completely missed your post. I'll take a look at ADS. I don't know too much about them, but I'll definitely search the forum and do some research. Thanks!

28. Apr 14, 2020 at 10:16 AM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Curious if you'd looked and compared the shocks lengths on the Omegas vs ADS. I ask this because Icon made specific shocks, from what I recall, to work best with the RXTs. Honestly, you may be hindering travel mix matching. Icon uses a very specific lower mount, probably for a good reason.

29. Apr 14, 2020 at 10:19 AM
    Samoan Thor

Samoan Thor God is technically an alien

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Limited 2014 crewmax 4X4
    Kings F&R, no sway bars
    I vote kings, over 50k miles on mine no issues, might get them rebuilt soon. Plush ride on the street and smooth off-road

E780D5BF-A8A0-4ED0-AA42-506DD9949D66.jpg

smslavin and papasmurf like this.
  30. Apr 14, 2020 at 11:06 AM
    Trdwillie14

Trdwillie14 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Vehicle:
    2014 trd off road
    2.5 fox 2.5 ads triple bypass T/C uppers Nfab front bumper Westin rear Bajas Rci skids All pro sliders Icon rxt leafs Stt pros Method 701s 37 Mickey Thompson
    I did check into it. But to me icon was just something I’m not willing to put on my truck way to many problems I’m not willing to deal with as far as a shock goes. When chatting to the dealers with shocks and leafs they matched the length size of the shocks to make sure it was pretty close to the deaver as we could go. For what I’m doing I can’t see it making that big of a deal. @dcsleeper408 had the same rear set up as all actually

14burrito[QUOTED] and SC_TRD like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top