1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger Porting

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by swank501, May 15, 2019.

1. May 15, 2019 at 5:03 AM
    swank501

swank501 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 single cab 4x4
    TRD S/C Crewmax window conversion Auburn LSD Custom interior
    Does anyone on here have any experience with supercharger porting? This is a popular mod with other makes and seems to have a good cost/benefit ratio. From what I can gather, some of the excess casting is removed and the airflow ports are machined to open up and improve flow. Would like to hear some objective feedback from anyone that actually has experience with this. There seems to be a number of companies out there that do this. I have reached out to a few, but only Stiegemeier has responded. They said they can do this and have done it plenty on the TRDs, however he did not comment on my question about expected gains. Perhaps they dont have that dyno info.

Tundyfundy likes this.
  2. May 15, 2019 at 5:15 AM
    spicychickentundie

spicychickentundie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SOMD
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red Tundra SR5 CM 4x4
    TRD RSB
    I had a ported supercharger on my civic. The work was done by Steigmeier. They ported the case and stripped the coating on the rotors. My blower made the same power as the the same car with a non-ported blower, but at a lower boost level. This was on an Eaton M62. The real reason I wanted the blower ported was so I could spin it faster (from 14000 rpm to over 18000 rpm). More blower rpm means more heat and expansion. I did want to recoat the rotors and the guy who bought my blower actually did it and saw more boost and port. The coating on the rotors decreases the tolerance between them and makes more boost. It will eventually wear off though. They come coated from Eaton.

Anyways, the porting will improve flow. The best mods you can do on a roots or twin screw blower are mods that increase flow. The less restriction on the intake side the better it will gather air since the blower is sucking from the intake. So things like larger throttle bodies, larger intake, less restrictive filter, etc. Keeping the blower cool is also high up on the priority list, but an efficient blower will also run cooler.

3. May 15, 2019 at 5:50 AM
    swank501

swank501 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 single cab 4x4
    I was inquiring about having the S/C rebuilt and porting came in to the discussion. Seemed like a minimal cost in the grand scheme and possibly an attractive option. I would definitely want to keep the coating on the rotors since they are typically either MOS2 diffused or PTFE enhanced coatings that reduce wear and friction. My only concern there would be if i ever go with a Meth setup, I would need a coating that can resist degradation due to the meth.

4. May 15, 2019 at 7:09 AM
    spicychickentundie

spicychickentundie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SOMD
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red Tundra SR5 CM 4x4
    TRD RSB
    I wasn't a fan of meth with a roots blower. I did an air to water aftercooler and all that jazz. If a meth system fails at high rpm there is no good failsafe. No way to slow down the blower until the RPMs go down. I know a lot of people use meth, but it just wasn't for me.

5. Oct 22, 2019 at 8:04 AM
    swank501

swank501 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 single cab 4x4
    kicking this back up for visibility. Anyone here have any experience with S/C rebuilds or porting?

Tundyfundy likes this.
  6. Oct 29, 2019 at 9:57 PM
    AZTundra

AZTundra No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
  7. Oct 30, 2019 at 11:43 AM
    swank501

swank501 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 single cab 4x4
    It looks like Superchargers Online is now offering a porting service on top of the rebuilds. According to their IG, pricing is around 3k all in (inc rebuild) and comes with your choice of GripTec Pulley.

Products Discussed in

To Top