1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange noise from rear of truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by sts, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Jun 11, 2018 at 7:46 AM
    sts

sts [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tundra SR5 2wd
    I get a rubbing or grinding sound from ( back portion ) my truck when I turn to the right ( only seems to happen when moving more than 15 mph. After a lot of investigation, removed the back tires, discs, and found no issues. Brakes are good, ( original - the truck has 68,000 miles) no defects on any area of the parking brake system. Looked around the whole undercarriage, did not find anything, seems to be tight. I did try to shake the bed, no movement. Exhaust is solid, very little rust,truck is garage kept. Put the brakes and wheels back, still the noise when turning! Any ideas? Maybe a u-joint?

TXRailRoadBandit73 likes this.
  2. Jun 11, 2018 at 8:03 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADIN',RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Welcome from Texas, Sorry to hear about your problem, check u joints on drive shaft? Carrier Bearing? can you have someone see/hear close by noise when it makes it? Rear end have fluid? What about front brakes? Front tires rubbing full lock? Hope you find problem

3. Jun 11, 2018 at 5:32 PM
    sts

sts [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tundra SR5 2wd
    Thanks for the reply. Just an update since the last post. I looked over the vehicle again, just to make sure there was’nt any items that I might have overlooked. All looked good, u-joints are tight, took the truck out with some extra help to listen and watch, found that when the truck is in a right turn (more than 20 mph) the “ metal scraping” sound that is coming from the back area goes away when you apply the parking brake. This is telling me that the shoe ( or shoes) behind the disc is moving around and rubbing the back of the disc, when the parking brake is not applied of course. This is my current finding so far, more info as I troubleshoot more. Any thoughts?

Products Discussed in

To Top