1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stolen Catalytic Converter leading to gas/ oil spill

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by dirtbiker1999, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Aug 18, 2022 at 9:59 PM
    dirtbiker1999

dirtbiker1999 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra trd pro 40k miles
    Hello Gentleman,
    I am pretty young and I managed to work for years before I had a license to afford a used 2018 tundra sr5. Four young men in ski masks stole my catalytic converter under my drivers side and drove off. (The police cornered them in the parking lot but they outmaneuvered them and a police policy prevents them chasing them). When I tried to start my car it wouldn't turn over and leaked gasoline and oil. Lots of oil. Interestingly they stole the cap for my oil filler. The cap you screw on that says oil, can you believe that? I took it to the dealership and am confident they can fix it. The insurance guy and my mechanic know each other which was fortuitous, however I am concerned of long term damage or premature engine/ transmission death as a result of this. Does anybody have theories of how this could result in fluid leakage and if this could result in a shorter lifespan for the vehicle. Id appreciate any and all thoughts. Im buying a shield after this btw so I don't need that thought.

IMG_0511.HEIC.jpg

2. Aug 18, 2022 at 10:06 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    They stole the oil cap? They’d have to get the hood open to do that. Oil change places LOVE to forget to put the cap back on.

they probably cut the fuel lines though trying to cut the cats.. we’ve had a few in the shop with brake lines and fuel lines leaking from these scum

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  3. Aug 18, 2022 at 10:12 PM
    SGTPanda

SGTPanda IN VALOR THERE IS HOPE

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2022 PRO
    sorry this happened to you. what state you live in? lots of these "young men" these days.

4. Aug 18, 2022 at 10:24 PM
    dirtbiker1999

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It was strange but I went 2500 miles since my last oil change and I would've thought that I would've noticed the oil cap off by now. I live in Illinois and it happened by 6 flags, it was 4 guys in ski masks who were caught actually in the act and continued! The lady who caught them said they were early 20's dark skinned guys. The whole thing was on video but the police just let them go instead of chasing them. In our state they could have beat up the lady and stolen her car along with my catalytic converter and they would be out on the street in a few days given our justice system here in Illinois, so I'm not getting it back. I just wonder what was that oil leaking, why did it start when I tried to crank the car. The fuel leakage increased when I tried to start it as well and so did the oil. It wouldn't turn over.

5. Aug 18, 2022 at 10:26 PM
    dirtbiker1999

Member:
    Vehicle:
    And ya could've been brake fluid but when I put it to my finger the color was dark brown like engine oil. I guess the dealership will let me know, but I hear its gonna take months to get a factory part.

6. Aug 18, 2022 at 11:01 PM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    im up in the chicagoland area (indiana side) currently the wait time has been upwards of 5 months for cats.

7. Aug 18, 2022 at 11:04 PM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    if the fuel line got cut the truck wont have enough fuel pressure to start up. as for the dark color, it could be dirty brake fluid. but your pedal would go very low. once the dealer gets a look at it its probably going to be fine.

you didnt drive it with no oil

8. Aug 19, 2022 at 4:33 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    First, I hate to hear yet another cat story. Second, I hate even more that law enforcement has been castrated to this level where they just let crooks go like that.

9. Aug 19, 2022 at 7:43 AM
    SGTPanda

SGTPanda IN VALOR THERE IS HOPE

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2022 PRO
    agreed

10. Aug 19, 2022 at 8:13 AM
    Windsor

Windsor New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7L
    Seat covers, SnugTop.
    Sorry you are dealing with this bs. But, some things don't make sense.
    It won't turn over (as in nothing happens when you turn the key) or won't start?
    You say there was oil and gas, where exactly was it leaking oil?
    They took the oil fill cap? That means they got into your truck, opened the hood, and took the cap. Did they steal anything from inside your truck? Or did they bust out your grill to access the latch? If not, that thing was already missing......

11. Aug 19, 2022 at 8:53 AM
    fytedapowr

fytedapowr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    '15 1794 4x4
    Bilstein 6112/5160, CB +2 shackles, SPC UCA's, CB bumper shims, 35's
    Napa has cats available. But it doesn't make sense why it wouldn't start or is leaking oil/gas. It should start normally, just loud af and poor performance. Your gas lines hug the inner bottom edge of the driver side to and from the gas tank.

Products Discussed in

To Top