1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock Market

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TundraJake, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Apr 3, 2020 at 11:13 AM
    TundraJake

TundraJake [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Pro MGM
    What is you guys opinion on the stock market as of now? I feel it was due for a correction but not sure how to handle it, as I just got my first job out of college and have been in my 401k for about 2 months now. I ramped up my contribution to 30% (from 6%) just now and diversified into different industries/markets. I am a finance major and currently working in financial crime at a bank, just curious what other people's thought are on the subject.

2. Apr 3, 2020 at 11:21 AM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    For where you are in your career, I think it’s a great opportunity, and good that you invest everything you don’t “need” for living expenses.

For anyone older, with real property and/ or significant debt, this is maybe not a time to go all in. I say this because, even though staying all in after 2008 brought me a 33% overall return, this time entire corporations— heck, entire industries— may not recover..., so some of us with a lot invested may need to delay retirement several years so investments in other industries that do well can eventually balance and make up for the expected related losses.

3. Apr 3, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    TundraJake

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Pro MGM
    Thank you for your opinion. It is definitely harder on older people, my Dad is stressing out about his 401k. He has always been the type to invest all he can afford and he is not sure what to do as of now. He is still fairly young at 49 years old.
    As for me, guess some of the tundra parts and other things may have to wait a couple months and I will eventually tune down the investing. I would just rather get a larger rock at the top of the mountain so one day it may turn into a boulder once I get to retirement age.

Njmike13, Melikeymy beer and Sunnier like this.
  4. Apr 3, 2020 at 11:56 AM
    WNY PAT

WNY PAT New Member

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crewmax Limited (Mines) 2019 Crewmax SR5 (Work)
    The beauty of compound interest and betting on America. Every financial advisor is going to tell you they can beat the market. But in all honesty, and I’ve followed this advice given by a sage investor years ago myself, find the lowest fee/load index fund you can and bet on the DJIA. There are plenty of charts around comparing analysts’ portfolio performance to the market, but once you deduct their fees and other costs... very few even equal the index funds much less beat them. Those guys and women drive Lexus and Mercedes for a reason... you’re paying for it. Remember, when you win, they win. When you lose, they win. They always get their cut. IMO anyway. No offense intended to any financial planners out there... and I’m sure there are differing opinions. Just saying what’s worked for me.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Njmike13, ZappBrannigan, tye and 3 others like this.
  5. Apr 3, 2020 at 12:05 PM
    TundraJake

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Pro MGM
    Compound interest is the 8th wonder of the world and TIME IN the market is better than TIMING the market. These are 2 things that one of my favorite finance professors said to us almost daily. He would also tell us we are idiots if we do not have at least 1 million dollars by the time we are retiring due to our knowledge base.

I am staying away from financial planners, I was an intern for a firm doing financial planning for about a year and was not a fan once I learned the backside of the business. They were crooks and were always looking to take advantage of the other interns and their own clients who did not know better. I feel like with knowledge I have learned in school and can learn from others, I am better off doing it myself. About 50% of my 401k options I made go to either the S&P and DJIA, the rest are just some small growth, foreign stuff, strategic equity funds, and like 5% bonds.

Njmike13, Trooper2, WNY PAT and 2 others like this.
  6. Apr 3, 2020 at 12:13 PM
    Adam

Adam New Member

Member:
    Throw in as much as you can now. Don't forget the Roth. If you have the ability to do a 403b or 457b take advantage.

7. Apr 3, 2020 at 12:18 PM
    TundraJake

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Pro MGM
    No option for 403b or 457b, but do have the roth option. I have not contributed to it at all. I am not sure where the interest comes from on a roth.

8. Apr 3, 2020 at 12:24 PM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    I've got some cash sitting around that I am trying to decide when I want to jump in. I have a good pension and a small contribution to a Roth. I invest extra money into the market in hopes of one day using it buy land or something. It is definitely risky right now, but there is a huge reward possible too. I think that once this is over, most of the stocks are going to sky rocket fast, but I could be wrong.

TundraJake[OP] likes this.
  9. Apr 3, 2020 at 12:27 PM
    dittothat

dittothat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
    Yup, throw in as much as you can Roth. Index it and sit back. You’ll be the next Warren Buffett in no time

10. Apr 3, 2020 at 12:28 PM
    TundraJake

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Pro MGM
    Nice truck btw

11. Apr 3, 2020 at 12:29 PM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma PreRunner Black
    Lot of good pointers in this thread

12. Apr 3, 2020 at 12:33 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    if I had extra money I would look into real estate at some point in the future: prices going down, low interest rates, tax deductions, cash/roof available in case SHTF and rental property can bring a steady income.

13. Apr 3, 2020 at 1:09 PM
    TundraJake

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Pro MGM
    Real estate is a goal of mine in the near future, but do not have the capital for that yet. Also with me just starting to work and the girlfriend either starting nurse practitioner or med school in the next year we should hold off for at least a few years. More renting it is.

14. Apr 3, 2020 at 3:04 PM
    WNY PAT

WNY PAT New Member

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crewmax Limited (Mines) 2019 Crewmax SR5 (Work)
    Roth vs pre-tax contributions is one of the more important decisions you have to make. I’m sure you know this, but you’re basically betting on your tax rate now vs when you retire. The assumption is most people will be in a lower tax bracket when they retire. I’ve been betting on a good retirement.. and thus have more in my Roth than my existing 401K account. But I do some pre-tax deductions too... not a lot tho. You’re a genius to be thinking about this at your age. Save big now, retire early. Had I figured that out in my early to mid 20s I’d be retired already. My goal is to retire at 56 at this point. Time (and the market) will dictate some of that though. Either way, I’m planning to never NEED social security. It’ll be a nice bonus if I get it though. As others have said, save all you can now. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    TundraJake[OP] and Sunnier like this.
  15. Apr 3, 2020 at 3:30 PM
    Melikeymy beer

Melikeymy beer No cooler for you!

Member:
    Muscogee Nation
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platypus Tundra
    You are doing it right. Regular and steady contributions are the key.

16. Apr 4, 2020 at 12:11 AM
    TundraJake

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Pro MGM
    Thank you guys for the wisdom. Ive learned a lot from both good and bad examples of adults in my life and just want to get off on the right track myself. Y’all are a big help.

I will look into the Roth sooner rather than later. Best of luck to y’all too

Njmike13 and NewImprovedRon like this.
  17. Apr 4, 2020 at 12:49 AM
    Tunka

Tunka New Member

Member:
    So cal
    Vehicle:
    2018 sr5 crwmax
    2.5 leveling kit 30555r20 ko2 fuel assault wheels
    I started investing in 457 when i was 20 years old the rule of 72 worked out good for me i was fortunate enough to be able to borrow from it to buy a couple properties and pay my self back with interest and cashflow with my properties and build equity its a good stepping stone as you get older you learn to minimize risk and acquire more wealth

18. Apr 4, 2020 at 2:05 AM
    mrmachinist

mrmachinist New Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra Crewmax 4x4
    6112/5100 shocks, 1” lift shackles, Tuff Country UCA, B&W gooseneck hitch, firestone airbags w/ daystar cradles, RB-10 running boards, front receiver hitch, winch wiring front and rear.
    I took all the cash in my IRA and bought a couple energy stocks and some cruise line stock. It’s all on sale. I’m not a finance guy or anything but I have a decent head in my shoulders. My advisor said it was risky but the stocks I bought, she said were solid companies and should pull through.

19. Apr 4, 2020 at 5:45 AM
    2010bigdog

2010bigdog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM SR5 TRD
    I have a 457 as a supplement and really don't know to much about it to be honest. I only put a little in every payday but it is mostly invested in "aggressive" I guess you would call it. care to share a few details on it?

Thanks!

20. Apr 4, 2020 at 7:47 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    49 yrs old!? Is he planning/needing to sell Everything all at once?

The vast majority of folks draw Slowly on a 401k, like 3-4% month, so unless he's planning on pulling it all out in the next few months, couple of years, there is Zero reason to panic, fear or stress out about. It willl have time to bounce back some if not all within 5 years....if not sooner...

21. Apr 4, 2020 at 8:03 AM
    Shaggie13

Shaggie13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Central CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Tundra Superwhite
    Fifteen52 wheels, rolling on tires.
    A 457 is just a qualified retirement plan, just like a 401k and 403b. The 457 refers to IRS code section 457. Ultimately, you just need to contribute as much as you can and chose sound investments in that plan.

22. Apr 4, 2020 at 8:18 AM
    Shaggie13

Shaggie13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Central CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Tundra Superwhite
    Fifteen52 wheels, rolling on tires.
    Also, FYI. If you are in a qualified plan through your work the IRS limits who can contribute to a Roth IRA. If you make too much they won't let you contribute to your Roth. To get around this, you can make a non-deductible contribution you a traditional IRA, and then the next day convert it to a Roth IRA. This is called a "backdoor Roth contribution"

23. Apr 4, 2020 at 8:25 AM
    Geezer

Geezer New Member

Member:
    Heart of the Catskills
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited
    Since you work in finance, you already know this, but it still bears saying. At your age I would recommend a Roth for as much as you can afford. With a Roth you pay taxes on the money today that you invest, but never pay taxes on the profit. That profit will be considerable if you leave the Roth alone and let it grow.

That said, if your employer contributes to a 401K based on your participation, then you should participate in that as well.

Do not buy individual stocks unless you really understand the market and know what you are doing. That requires a great deal of your time. Instead, buy into a fund that looks good to you. The considerations for a fund are fees and reputation for risk and growth. Generally more growth potential means more risk. How much risk can your stomach/head handle? That is a personal thing for you to consider.

Regarding timing, we are in a bear market. In a typical bear market there would be one more testing of the bottom before things pick up again. This in not a typical bear market, so the bottom may have already been reached or it may be a lot lower before this craziness is over. If the virus, and 'quarantine', sticks with us for a prolonged period then I don't know how to predict the future and any investment is a gamble.

24. Apr 4, 2020 at 12:05 PM
    Tunka

Tunka New Member

Member:
    So cal
    Vehicle:
    2018 sr5 crwmax

25. Apr 4, 2020 at 12:10 PM
    Tunka

Tunka New Member

Member:
    So cal
    Vehicle:
    2018 sr5 crwmax
    We can borrow on it to purchase primarily residence up to 50000 if you have enough in your 457 it could be combined two loans max i pulled one $25k to buy my first home then pulled $25k for investment property i use the cashflow to pay loans so can evenly get more properties

Products Discussed in

To Top